Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:01 AM

8 posts, read 12,705 times

Advertisements

Haha yeah but in Eureka the winter low is 0, here it gets to -16 sometimes! (Not sure what that is in Farenheit, but there ya go) the grass is indeed always greener...having lived in the PacNW my entire life even the Eureka rains seem tropical to me. *according to wiki

EDIT: I'm looking into East Bay colleges now and hoping to work my way up from there :3

Last edited by galaxy119; 12-15-2011 at 12:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 01:48 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,446,878 times
If I were you, I'd go to southern California, just based on the climate. Once you experience a semiarid warmer place, you may never settle for cold rain again... Which is a good thing. Also, in my experience, TV shows and movies do a great job of capturing the feel of places.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:54 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Cal State Monterey Bay

Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,226,193 times
Uh, I would think the type of school that would help you out more in your career would be numero uno reason and not basing it on location/weather. I would forget about the Emerald Triangle area.

Other than SF, the only other city that I would consider to have good public transportation is Portland.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:19 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times
Try to get clear on what you want to study. Have a look at Baron's guides to colleges, U.S. News & World Report, etc... and then choose the best schools (no matter where they are).

I must admit though that I liked the fantasy I had after reading the first post, which sort of suggested the "no expenses spared" approach. I had you living in Hope Ranch in Santa Barbara with chauffeured limo service to and from classes.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:31 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,853,179 times
UCSC in Santa Cruz.
It's worth considering.
There are S.C. haters but whatever.
Explore it for yourself and see and feel a place and school.
Ultimately, after you gather facts, it's about your own senses.
I assume that you'll come down and visit different communities and different schools?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy119 View Post
Ohhh okay I thought you were poking fun! Cultural difference? xD No no, ironically the weather isn't all bad where I live, although I'm Canadian I've never seen reliable winter snows or anything of the like in my life! When I lived in Portland Metro area it was much colder and ranier and more awful I'll be sure to tell the clouds to stay here. Nasty buggers. I don't think Canadians have it in them to really invade anybody though, but man, this country is just so damn irrelevant, the US just seems so much better integrated with the rest of the world even considering its biases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Try to get clear on what you want to study. Have a look at Baron's guides to colleges, U.S. News & World Report, etc... and then choose the best schools (no matter where they are).

I must admit though that I liked the fantasy I had after reading the first post, which sort of suggested the "no expenses spared" approach. I had you living in Hope Ranch in Santa Barbara with chauffeured limo service to and from classes.
Yeah, uh, here's something to think about: I have had a home base in Puget Sound since the early 70's (yeah, I'm THAT old!) ... I have probably spent more time in Canada than you have, even though you lived there (you're so young ) Besides my own and my wife's interests up there, three of my four kids were hocky players on traveling rep teams and that meant nearly every weekend in the Lower Mainland or Vancouver Island about 7 months a year for 15 years. I qualify this as saying: I know the weather.

Now I split my time between three states. I love the Pacific NW and Canada ... but at this point, from mid-Oct. or so, through April, I am gone. Where do I go? California (where I also lived when young as you are) and Hawaii (where I have kept a boat for years).

The very north of Calif. -- Eureka / Arcata -- will remind you somewhat of home ... I love it .... beautiful, tranquil, isolated, cool and rainy and misty ... but you say you want to experience something new, right? But the S.F. / Bay area is likely too potentially troubleville for your dad's approval ... and likely L.A. area and probably S.D. areas as well.

Snort's vision is the vision to beat all, IF the school fits your interests and you can gain admission. It is probably not possible to have a more 'awesome' California experience under your scenario than to be 'sponsored' at UCSB ... Santa Barbara's only negative is that it will spoil you for life and it will be hard to afford staying there after you graduate.

UC Santa Cruz is second choice but also 'awesome'.

Aloha (I'm on my boat in harbor in Hawaii now).

Old 12-15-2011, 12:17 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,548,109 times
San Luis Obispo on the Central Coast might meet your needs. Nice university town/small city not too far from beaches with great weather. Pretty much between the Bay Area and SoCal.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:29 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,853,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
San Luis Obispo on the Central Coast might meet your needs. Nice university town/small city not too far from beaches with great weather. Pretty much between the Bay Area and SoCal.
That's a good idea and S.L.O. might be a better choice than UCSC since the father seems to be a bit concerned about a city that has crime although it's difficult to avoid it no matter where one is.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:49 PM

258 posts, read 615,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy119 View Post
I am 19 years old and being subsidized apparently by my father .....
Dude -

With respect, you´re 19

When I was 19, I was being abused by my Father, living in a mosquito infested swamp, in Central Florida ... and at 29, I was living in the back of my VW Rabbit surviving off Tuna and bottled water. Only the last few years has my life panned out for the better and I´m almost 50.

You young Bucks have it way too good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California