Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 03:20 PM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 336,372 times

Advertisements

We just got a few replies from people offering two very different SLO area rentals... Grover Beach several blocks from the beach and several blocks above Grand Avenue, an updated 800 sq/ft 2br 1950s era home with a fenced yard and garden for $1350.00 a month- looks good enough from Google Street View to go see it this weekend- two Amtrack trains a day run on the nearby tracks and Hwy 101 is less than two the other is on six acres adjacent to a vineyard 11 miles from 101 and maybe 30 minutes from SLO proper. It's a 1500 sq/ft newer home with a large fenced yard. Both owners are laid-back, friendly and really motivated to help a special-needs family get a foothold in SLO County.

We can't find much difference in the general quality of the North Grover Beach vs. Paso Robles school systems, but supposedly Templeton has some of the best schools in SLO County... don't know if we can enroll our son in any Templeton schools until we find out if both towns share a School District. We have a young Pit Bull in training to be certified with the state as a Service Dog- the breed's not helping our overall search luck of course but luckily both prospective landlords are cool with our dog, especially since he'll be a Service Dog soon. From what I understand about SLO County vs. dog owners looking for rentals the fact we are at this point in the process with two prospective landlords is miraculous.

My questions- which area is better for parents raising a 10 year-old son with Asperger's Syndrome? SLO has the Autism Resource Center close to both rentals, but which area would be most 'family friendly'? We like either for all the reasons people like beachy places and rural places- the deciding factor is how our son's going to fair... driving down from Santa Cruz to see them both this Sunday.

Other question pertains to our Housing Wanted post on CL- any change/addition/editing suggestions? We need all the help we can get with this ambitious relocation project! Here's the current post below:

"Hi all,

We are two professionals, parents to our 10-year-old son who has Asperger's Syndrome. Our family loves the 5 Cities community and we know it is an area where our special-needs son can thrive. We are seeking a 2-bedroom house in a quiet area, preferably with a yard.

I'm a California native, an IT Consultant and a writer. My wife Eliza was a teacher for many years in San Francisco and is now a photographer who promotes Autism awareness. Our son is a gentle, quiet and well-behaved 10-year-old who just completed this last school year as a fourth-grader. Our quiet and friendly dog Gizmo is thoroughly socialized and well-trained. Gizmo goes with us everywhere and we never leave him alone, either inside or outside. He is well along in his training to be a Service Dog for our son and will soon be registered with the state of CA for that purpose. We're happy to provide a sizable, non-refundable additional deposit for our dog.

Our wish list would include an updated 800 SF or larger 2 bedroom cottage, guest house, small house, newer manufactured/modular home or condo. We'd love a year lease with the option to renew annually if all goes well. Looking for a quiet neighborhood. Rural would be great too.

Verifiable $63k annual income. On the cozy side OK- we all get along! We are quiet, clean and responsible and don't smoke, drink or use drugs. Excellent references include former landlord in Felton, CA and our landlord in Santa Cruz. Our budget is $1600.00 not including utilities.

Eliza's Autism Awareness Facebook page continues to grow with over 5,600 followers...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aspergers-Kids-and-Loss/118908581527995?ref=hl"

Thanks in advance for the advice, info and input, guys! '^)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
The post is perfect (except omitting the dog's breed, but I understand that).

What I don't understand is why you are still looking? You've got two great options, I thought.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 PM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The post is perfect (except omitting the dog's breed, but I understand that).

What I don't understand is why you are still looking? You've got two great options, I thought.

Thanks for the feedback!

I hope these two places and prospective landlords are as good as they seem... maybe just superstitious, but we're still running the post for now until ink is dry on a Rental Agreement.

Our son has what used to be called 'Asperger's Syndrome'. It's funny- for literally months we ran that post, bumping it along every three days or so, but stating what is now current medical terminology for Asperger's Syndrome- 'High Functioning Autism' because the DSM-V recently reclassified Asperger's Syndrome under the umbrella of 'Autism Spectrum Disorder'... as soon as I began describing our son as having the much-more-familiar 'Asperger's Syndrome' we began getting replies almost immediately- I forgot not everyone reads the DSM-V for the purpose of helping their child qualify for early intervention and treatment under insurance! '^)

Last edited by threepounduniverse; 09-19-2013 at 08:02 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 01:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Huh, interesting that calling it something different made the difference. I understand wanting to keep all irons in the fire until you have a done deal. Good luck on finding the perfect place and enjoy the area, it's so beautiful there!

Old 03-19-2016, 08:38 AM

147 posts, read 310,966 times
Any rooms for rent in the Grover Beach area?

Old 03-19-2016, 11:57 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,077 times
Can you please stop topping old threads and just start one new one with all your questions.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:25 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgste View Post
Any rooms for rent in the Grover Beach area?
We wouldn't know. You can check on Craigslist.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:11 AM

147 posts, read 310,966 times
Thank you, it works for me. Just wanted to see what was available so I could scout around after I retire this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California