Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:55 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

I get their message and agree, but targeting poor Kim Kardashian is hilarious.

Quote:
The video says Kardashian made $12 million in 2010 but paid just 1 percentage point more in California income taxes than someone making $47,000 — 10.3% vs. 9.3%. "Don't you think she could pay a little more?" the ad asks as pictures of schoolchildren, firefighters and an elderly woman appear. "Especially to fund education and critical services?"

No response from the Kardashian camp.

Kim Kardashian targeted by California tax campaign
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I get their message and agree, but targeting poor Kim Kardashian is hilarious.
That's hillarious considering the BIG albatross in CA is their property tax rules that help the rich a lot.

She should just set up residence in FL or TX and give CA the finger....which is what SEVERAL athletes etc. have done in order to dodge state taxes.

However, most of those people are big-time dem political supporters so they are immune.

Lebron and Tiger both did this...saves them millions a year.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:19 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
There are a couple of interesting things about this. First - they are personalizing this campaign by naming an individual. Second - they picked an entertainer, not a CEO. Third - they mention rates only, not total taxes paid.

I have always thought it was ridiculous of the Occupy crowd to focus on CEOs while ignoring entertainers and athletes - who can make far more money in many cases. Mel Gibson's divorce settlement says his wife will get over $400M. Very few CEOs have that kind of wealth.

This campaign could have picked a wealthy liberal favorite, like Susan Sarandon, or Barbra Streisand. But instead they picked a reality/celebrity star often ridiculed for her success.

I rather despise Kim Kardashian, but if I were her I might just say "thanks for the attention but I think I'll move to New York (or somewhere else)."

Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Stupid. Change residences Kardashians.

I hate these liberal heart string campaigns. Be nice to see that fat ass Speaker of the Assembly John Perez stuffing his fat face with food at a lunch with his union cronies in slow mo. Split screen as he is cramming his face with food laughing and drinking then show poor little Hispanic kids waiting in food lines in his district.

Pigs.

These are the same people that want to waste your money on things like that White albatross the High Speed Rail to line the pockets of their donors with money. But complain there is no money for 500 million dollar high schools which are obsolete before they even get built.

When are you people going to get sick of this ****. WAKE UP.

Ok more coffee for me.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 01-04-2012 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 01:26 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There are a couple of interesting things about this. First - they are personalizing this campaign by naming an individual. Second - they picked an entertainer, not a CEO. Third - they mention rates only, not total taxes paid.

I have always thought it was ridiculous of the Occupy crowd to focus on CEOs while ignoring entertainers and athletes - who can make far more money in many cases. Mel Gibson's divorce settlement says his wife will get over $400M. Very few CEOs have that kind of wealth.

This campaign could have picked a wealthy liberal favorite, like Susan Sarandon, or Barbra Streisand. But instead they picked a reality/celebrity star often ridiculed for her success.

I rather despise Kim Kardashian, but if I were her I might just say "thanks for the attention but I think I'll move to New York (or somewhere else)."
Actually, Mel Gibson is already divorced from his wife. The settlement he reached with his ex-girlfriend, Oksana, is only $750,000.

Mel Gibson Agrees To Pay Oksana Grigorieva $750G In Custody Settlement | Fox News

I don't pay attention to the useless Kardashian clan, but how does anybody know what Kim paid/pays in taxes? Is there some kind of conclusive proof these Occupiers got hold of?

And CA property taxes are nothing like TX property taxes. I lived in TX and property taxes on my home were 3%. I'll take a CA property tax and CA state income tax any day over a 3% property tax on an expensive home.

So ... what was this thread about again???

Old 01-04-2012, 02:13 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
She's exactly the type of person that should be a poster girl for the flatness of state taxes that makes life hard for the low and middle class. She has no skills, doesn't do anything productive, contributes nothing to society. She's rich because she's famous and attractive.

BTW I wonder if you Californians realize that Kim Kardashian and her ilk are a significant factor in how the rest of the world perceives your state.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:45 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

BTW I wonder if you Californians realize that Kim Kardashian and her ilk are a significant factor in how the rest of the world perceives your state.
I wonder if you island people realize that all the ice heads captured by Dog the Bounty Hunter are a significant factor in how the rest of the world perceives your state.

Why don't you try actually making some intelligent points for a change?

Last edited by ZhugeLiang; 01-04-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 02:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
She's exactly the type of person that should be a poster girl for the flatness of state taxes that makes life hard for the low and middle class. She has no skills, doesn't do anything productive, contributes nothing to society. She's rich because she's famous and attractive.

Shes rich because people are stupid, shallow and give her money. She didn't go out and hold anyone up. Your complaining about the wrong issue.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Actually, Mel Gibson is already divorced from his wife. The settlement he reached with his ex-girlfriend, Oksana, is only $750,000.

Mel Gibson Agrees To Pay Oksana Grigorieva $750G In Custody Settlement | Fox News

I don't pay attention to the useless Kardashian clan, but how does anybody know what Kim paid/pays in taxes? Is there some kind of conclusive proof these Occupiers got hold of?

And CA property taxes are nothing like TX property taxes. I lived in TX and property taxes on my home were 3%. I'll take a CA property tax and CA state income tax any day over a 3% property tax on an expensive home.

So ... what was this thread about again???
Mel Gibson's divorce settlement is very recent news even if he has been divorced for a while. My point though was not to focus on his divorce, but his wealth ($850M before the divorce). His wealth is certainly CEO-class money. Others in the entertainment business or sports have more (Spielberg, Tiger, etc.).

Mel Gibson Loses Half of His $850 Million Fortune to Ex-Wife in Divorce | ABC News - Yahoo! News

CA property taxes are typically 1.4%, right? After the state percentage of 1% plus some local additions?

Texas property tax rates are typically 2.5% of assessed value - some are higher, some are lower (mine is 1.9%). But the actual annual expense for most Texas homeowners is probably not much different than CA homeowners. 2.5% of $200K is $5,000 per year. But the comparable home in CA might be twice as expensive or more. So 1.4% of $400K is $5,600 per year.

Although my property tax bill is higher than I'd like it to be, I like a few things about it vs. California's approach. Almost all of the money is spent within 25 miles of my home and local politicians, not state ones, control it.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Shes rich because people are stupid, shallow and give her money. She didn't go out and hold anyone up. Your complaining about the wrong issue.
She is most certainly successful because too many people volunteer to spend money on the things that make her famous. Pretty amazing to me. But I ain't playing that game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: