Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Finish your education, find a job and then move. And by the way, I am a native.
You are a native who left his optimism at the border when he left for the Ozarks.

Yes, fair warning about the cost of living, traffic, cultural differences is fair game. But to to flat out tell a guy to not come?

The OP is 19 yrs old.....do you believe in taking any kind of risk in life?

Moreover, if he transfers to college/university in Calif. he'll make future contacts for gainful employment after he graduates. I have no idea where the OP is at school now but if he attends "Eastern BumFu*g University" the likelihood of his getting a job in So.Calif is not great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
You are a native who left his optimism at the border when he left for the Ozarks.

Yes, fair warning about the cost of living, traffic, cultural differences is fair game. But to to flat out tell a guy to not come?

The OP is 19 yrs old.....do you believe in taking any kind of risk in life?

Moreover, if he transfers to college/university in Calif. he'll make future contacts for gainful employment after he graduates. I have no idea where the OP is at school now but if he attends "Eastern BumFu*g University" the likelihood of his getting a job in So.Calif is not great.
Thank you for deciding for me what I "sacrified" in leaving CA, or even why. I happen to look upon it as suspending disbelief after 20 years of working in the state's governance and over 60+ years of watching and experiencing the many, significant changes.

And you've been around how long?

Old 01-10-2012, 11:14 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Thank you for deciding for me what I "sacrified" in leaving CA, or even why. I happen to look upon it as suspending disbelief after 20 years of working in the state's governance and over 60+ years of watching and experiencing the many, significant changes.

And you've been around how long?
It's not about you!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
It's not about you!
Then stop trying to make it so such as having to make two, consecutive posts - not a third - to try to minimize what I said to the OP. There are other points of view equally as valid as ones from any of you CA apologists and fan club members and individuals considering a move, especially young and inexperienced ones, should not just hear from the cheer leaders. Some of them are quite capable of sorting the wheat from the chaff and considering opposing points of view. They're owed that opportunity in coming to reasonably knowing conclusions. Sorry if that threatens you and others.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Then stop trying to make it so such as having to make two, consecutive posts - not a third - to try to minimize what I said to the OP. There are other points of view equally as valid as ones from any of you CA apologists and fan club members and individuals considering a move, especially young and inexperienced ones, should not just hear from the cheer leaders. Some of them are quite capable of sorting the wheat from the chaff and considering opposing points of view. They're owed that opportunity in coming to reasonably knowing conclusions. Sorry if that threatens you and others.
Yeah, advice like "don't". Brilliant.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM

5 posts, read 6,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Having said that, you shoud prepare yourself for the sticker shock of HIGHER housing costs, etc. Of course, that is what you are doing by coming here. So congrats to you on that front.

I think one thing you need to think about FIRST is what school (or schools) will suit your interests. If you are undecided in terms of major you should still think about what school you want to go to (for possible majors, location, etc).

Do you have any idea what school(s) you are going to apply to? That will help us give you more detailed, specific suggestions about cost of living, etc.
Thanks Sal, and all the above who're offering advice.

I have looked into living and I'm prepared to be slapped in the face with the price of living. My brother is in limbo at the moment and I'm going see about bringing him over with me in hopes of cutting expenses in half.

I'm willing to look at just about any school as long as it's in the area and offers an English degree. I have thought about the University of California locations but other than that I have little preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Are you attached to Southern California and, if so, why?
I only ask because there are a couple of options that are not in SoCal and you may be limiting your options.
I'm more familiar with and much prefer the central coast.
Check out UCSC in Santa Cruz and Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo.
Both are on the central coast and both are great towns.
If you're stuck on SoCal, i can't be of much help.
There's a certain essence of the area I'm attracted to, I've done a lot of research and I feel like I can fit in really well there. You know, somewhere to set my feet. I haven't ruled out any other areas however, SoCal is just what I looked into the most based on my attraction.

I have looked into UCSC in Santa Cruz, I remember it being one of the schools I especially liked.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Tha_Hero View Post
Thanks Sal, and all the above who're offering advice.

I have looked into living and I'm prepared to be slapped in the face with the price of living. My brother is in limbo at the moment and I'm going see about bringing him over with me in hopes of cutting expenses in half.

I'm willing to look at just about any school as long as it's in the area and offers an English degree. I have thought about the University of California locations but other than that I have little preference.

There's a certain essence of the area I'm attracted to, I've done a lot of research and I feel like I can fit in really well there. You know, somewhere to set my feet. I haven't ruled out any other areas however, SoCal is just what I looked into the most based on my attraction.

I have looked into UCSC in Santa Cruz, I remember it being one of the schools I especially liked.

I would just keep your options open and when you're ready and if you can afford it, come out for a visit (like this spring or summer) and explore the coast from San Diego to Santa Cruz.
I'd come and see and feel the areas that you're considering.
It's difficult to really know a place via the internet although it's a good way to start.
But there's nothing like really being somewhere and getting a real sense of things.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:53 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times
Within in Southern California, the University of California options include:

UCLA
UC San Diego
UC Riverside

Cal State University: Cal State Long Beach, Cal State Northridge, San Diego State, Cal State LA, etc.

-----------------------------

Smaller (but very good) liberal arts colleges to consider are:

Occidental College (Los Angeles)
The Claremont Colleges (in eastern LA County) is a collection of five, small but very good schools (Pomona College, Pitzer College ,etc).

While these are NOT cheap schools you may qualify for financial aid at these schools which could make them worth it.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
The best advice is to work with student housing of whatever school you end up going to. They will have all the info you need and there will be plenty of other people going through the same thing. Anything else is really just pie in the sky talk and completely dependent on a specific campus. Good luck.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 PM

"A pie in the sky".
What a weird expression.
I wonder about its origin.
Google time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California