Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 05:59 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,908,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Perhaps she was referring to the cost of a rental which certainly can be double (and even more than double) that of many, many places in the U.S..
Yes. Probably so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Which is most people's single largest monthly expense. Its not as trivial as the cost of apples doubling.
And correct, rent is likely to be the single greatest budget expense.

And still doesn't call for a grossly erroneous, blanket statement ... to wit: "living expenses could be double what you are paying now" ... Because no, California rents are likely quite a bit higher, but all other costs are comparable .. and the aggregate effect (I had to put that in, sorry) is nowhere near a doubling of total budget.

Call me a nit-picker, but I just get tired of the same old chant about how expensive California is -- when the only thing that is more expensive -- in some parts of California -- over some other places in the nation -- is real estate.

And now waiting for the usual drivel and diatribe about how this, that, and the other thing are also so much more expensive in California compared to Bumfreak, Egypt. No, the overall budget is going to be very close wherever you go in the U.S. -- except for real estate -- and except for Alaska and Hawaii (where I am as I write this -- yes, it actually IS more expensive here in virtually all budget line items).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 06:10 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,855,437 times
But no .... like escape said, the rental budget is the "largest single monthly expense" and that's a huge expense.
So living in California can easily double the monthly financial requirement.
If someone lives in a 2 bedroom house for $800 - $900 a month and has to pay as much 2K for a similar house in California, then add to the rental budget more expensive this and that ... well living expenses are certainly more than doubled ... quite a bit more.

Last edited by jaijai; 01-29-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-29-2012, 06:32 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,693,702 times
Quote:
Perhaps she was referring to the cost of a rental which certainly can be double (and even more than double) that of many, many places in the U.S..
Quote:
Absolutely ... whether buying or renting, it's housing that is the issue.
Everything else is relatively trivial.
Although gas prices are certainly quite high in California and if someone is commuting long distances everyday and has a gas guzzling vehicle, that's a consideration.
Or isn't. She stated living expenses would be double, she didn't say rent. Living expense cannot rationally be limited to rent.

Based on what I see on those real estate shows, desirable areas across the nation are near or on par with CA.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Or isn't. She stated living expenses would be double, she didn't say rent. Living expense cannot rationally be limited to rent.

Based on what I see on those real estate shows, desirable areas across the nation are near or on par with CA.
I guess it depends on what you mean by desirable.

And i was, for whatever reasons, referring to rental costs on much of the coast of California (an other desirable places like the Tahoe area) and with the exception of major cities like NYC, Boston, Chicago, those coastal rental costs are definitely not on par with most locations across the country.

Take Santa Fe, N.M. as an example just 'cause i used to live there and i consider it a desirable place to live.
Check this out:
3 Bedroom/2 Bath (http://santafe.craigslist.org/apa/2789543389.html - broken link)
Or this one:
Centrally Located/Newly Remoded (http://santafe.craigslist.org/apa/2811007482.html - broken link)

Or how about a 4 bedroom near Asheville, NC (never been but i've heard it's a good place to live back east)
A 4 bdrm 2800 sq. ft. home for $2400!

Large beautiful home in Biltmore Lake (http://asheville.craigslist.org/apa/2824244465.html - broken link)

Or Phoenix.
I wouldn't want to live in Phoenix and i certainly wouldn't want to live in a luxury apartment complex (yuck) but it's another example of what many consider desirable and man ... a 2 bedroom for $850!)

Check out this credit friendly luxury apartment (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/apa/2795046178.html - broken link)

Monthly living expenses (which include rent don't they?) will be doubled or more.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:07 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,693,702 times
Quote:

Monthly living expenses (which include rent don't they?) will be doubled or more.
Persuade me, as I have stated, aside from possible real estate costs, what in California is more expensive than in other states.

For most of California heating and or cooling costs for residences is much less than in any other part of the nation, that off sets much.

Fruits and Vegetables in California have a tendency to be better and cheaper than the old shrink wrapped junk found in super markets all over this nation.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Persuade me, as I have stated, aside from possible real estate costs, what in California is more expensive than in other states.

For most of California heating and or cooling costs for residences is much less than in any other part of the nation, that off sets much.

Fruits and Vegetables in California have a tendency to be better and cheaper than the old shrink wrapped junk found in super markets all over this nation.

I was only echoing what escapetocalifornia was saying ... monthly housing costs are a huge part (the main part) of the budget and since the monthly rent in desirable places in California can easily be twice as expensive as most places in the country, living expenses are doubled ... at best.
What am i missing?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:38 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,908,235 times
Quote:
I was only echoing what escapetocalifornia was saying ... monthly housing costs are a huge part (the main part) of the budget and since the monthly rent in desirable places in California can easily be twice as expensive as most places in the country, living expenses are doubled ... at best.
What am i missing?
Rents are probably not double in most areas of California compared to most areas of Ohio.
But, just for the sake of a simple example, let's say they are.
Rent is not more than 50% of most peoples' monthly budget ... in fact it is usually less.
But, again, let's say it is.
Let's say that in Ohio a person pays $1000 for rent for a little house
and in California they would pay double: $2000.
If $1000 was 1/2 that person's budget in Ohio,
that means their total budget is $2000.
$1000 for food and transportation, clothes, phone, utilities, taxes etc.
If in Calif. they pay $2000 in rent and still pay about the same $1000 for the rest.
That's $3000 a month --
an increase of 50% ...
not double.

And reality is most folks pay less than half their income for rent and more for all the other expenses.
Reality also is that a person on a tight budget will not move to the Marina District in San Francisco from Youngstown, Ohio ... and the difference in rents will end up making the increase in budget likely not more than 25% increase. Depending on where this transplant finds work and moves in California, they might find very little increase at all.

Now, buying a home is more difficult ... but rents are not so different in many areas.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 PM

Like i said, i was referring to the cost of housing in the desirable areas of California.
And they are certainly twice as much (and often more) than rentals across the country.
But i am, admittedly, really bad at math.
I'm so dumb at it that an increase of 50% means double to me.
ooooops.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,313,679 times
Quote:
And if you like poor air quality, hot, hot in the summer and a lack of (though it's subjective) the kind of beauty other parts of California have in abundance.
I do not understand why someone would move from Ohio to the central valley of California.
I mean, for what?
If there's nothing like necessity of job and there are no family and / or friends there, it doesn't make sense imo.
Sacramento, etc. probably won't fulfill the wishes of someone who is wanting to get out of Ohio and live in California.
But i dunno ... it seems that the o.p. has abandoned the thread.
I assume this is in response to my post.

I grew up in the Central San Joaquin Valley and would return in a heart-beat if I could do it. Judging by the poster's needs, I don't think she'd want to pay what it would cost to live at the coast, or the Bay Area, or Southern Cal.

California's a beautiful state, but it's beauty isn't restricted to just the coastline or Yosemite, or Napa or Sonoma Valley. The whole state is beautiful. I think the Central Valley has awesome agricultural beauty. Of course, flat-lands aren't everyone's cup of tea, just as "mountains" are not mine.

As for air quality, that concerns a lot of people. But I live where the air is clean, yet it's so cloudy here a majority of the year and I can't stand that. I miss the star-studded nights.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I assume this is in response to my post.

I grew up in the Central San Joaquin Valley and would return in a heart-beat if I could do it. Judging by the poster's needs, I don't think she'd want to pay what it would cost to live at the coast, or the Bay Area, or Southern Cal.

California's a beautiful state, but it's beauty isn't restricted to just the coastline or Yosemite, or Napa or Sonoma Valley. The whole state is beautiful. I think the Central Valley has awesome agricultural beauty. Of course, flat-lands aren't everyone's cup of tea, just as "mountains" are not mine.

As for air quality, that concerns a lot of people. But I live where the air is clean, yet it's so cloudy here a majority of the year and I can't stand that. I miss the star-studded nights.
Yes it was in response to your post because, though i said that beauty is subjective, i'm thinking that someone from Ohio who is wanting to get out of there and who is "California dreaming" (rightly or wrongly, stupid or not) is not going to want to live in the Sacramento area or other parts of the central valley.
I'm not dissing those areas and i recognize their virtue (although they do not appeal to me personally) but i was just pointing out what seems to be obvious but maybe that's presumptuous of me.
And the air quality is an issue imo especially if one has children but i am particularly bothered by bad air after having lived in the city for many, many years.
I just can't tolerate it and it took a toll on my health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California