Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:38 PM

6 posts, read 6,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and pray tell where did you read this wonderful information about Florida? Wherever it is garbage and totally untrue. We have 2 kids living in Florida plus a lot of retired friends that spend part or the winters there. Maybe you were never taught by your parents not to believe everything you read or hear. I sure was and I try to keep an open mind with the ability to be able to separate truth from fiction.
Ha, who told me. That's funny. Too bad I am in Florida to know first hand.

I hope your kido's are business owners with money or will move. Florida has virtually zero career paths for young folks. Hence they all graduate and bolt. Then again there's no shortage of welfare trailers down here. More than anywhere in the known universe I suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 03:12 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owqodwqo View Post
Florida has virtually zero career paths for young folks.
Well, they could always don a famous outfit for some dough:

Old 10-25-2013, 11:19 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,267,552 times
Quote:
I see someone say Florida. Let me tell you if you think CA is bad, FL is like living in some thrid world country. Just read the dang news from the state. Cops that screw people literally to get them out of tickets, school teachers that abuse physically and sexually their students, Parents that kill their kids, prisons that let out criminals knowing they are early, school testing that is rewritten by the state to avoid bad grades, on and on and on. And not just one story of these kind of stuff but lots. Google Florida teachers in the news. It'll make you vow to never put your kid in any Florida school.

California with all its current warts is significantly better than Florida. Just read the paper from that state if you don't believe me.
Quote:
and pray tell where did you read this wonderful information about Florida? Wherever it is garbage and totally untrue. We have 2 kids living in Florida plus a lot of retired friends that spend part or the winters there. Maybe you were never taught by your parents not to believe everything you read or hear. I sure was and I try to keep an open mind with the ability to be able to separate truth from fiction.
Use hearsay to refute hearsay. Love the irony

Quote:
oops

Old 10-25-2013, 12:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:

I hope your kido's are business owners with money or will move. Florida has virtually zero career paths for young folks. Hence they all graduate and bolt. Then again there's no shortage of welfare trailers down here. More than anywhere in the known universe I suspect.
too bad you are not 100% or even close to 100% right. Statements like more welfare trailers are a perfect example of your over the top statements.

As for my kids. actually one of them does own their own business and they are very successful. They hire young people, pay them well and their employees are loyal to them. The other kid, our son works for a national complan and has a son in the Ft Myers school district. He is doing quite well in school. Our son's older daughter graduated from Fl State last year, had no trouble finding a job. One thing they all like about living in Florida compared to CA where they were raised: the cost of living and the tax structure. I haven't heard anything about cops buying anyone off or being any more crocked than cops anywhere else in the country.

Maybe your experiences have to do with where in Florida you live or lived. We visit there often, find it clean, a wonderfully maintained state with none of what you are saying. The thing that keeps us from re-locating is the humidity, that is all. The only place we have seen in Florida that would be anywhere close to a third world country might be parts of Jacksonville and parts of Miami. Even then, we have been to 3rd World countries, Fl isn't one of them. Every major city, in the world, has its poverty districts.

Last edited by nmnita; 10-25-2013 at 12:24 PM..

Old 10-25-2013, 12:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Spot on LOL....FOMC...falling out of my chair.
When I see mention of no car inspections, I wonder how many people have lived in many other states than California. We have never lived in a state that did inspections except California. I had forgotten all about them: not a bad idea I might add.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 6,230 times
Quote:
too bad you are not 100% or even close to 100% right. Statements like more welfare trailers are a perfect example of your over the top statements.

As for my kids. actually one of them does own their own business and they are very successful. They hire young people, pay them well and their employees are loyal to them. The other kid, our son works for a national complan and has a son in the Ft Myers school district. He is doing quite well in school. Our son's older daughter graduated from Fl State last year, had no trouble finding a job. One thing they all like about living in Florida compared to CA where they were raised: the cost of living and the tax structure. I haven't heard anything about cops buying anyone off or being any more crocked than cops anywhere else in the country.

Maybe your experiences have to do with where in Florida you live or lived. We visit there often, find it clean, a wonderfully maintained state with none of what you are saying. The thing that keeps us from re-locating is the humidity, that is all. The only place we have seen in Florida that would be anywhere close to a third world country might be parts of Jacksonville and parts of Miami. Even then, we have been to 3rd World countries, Fl isn't one of them. Every major city, in the world, has its poverty districts.
Yeah, good luck trying to paint Florida as some kind of good economy with good quality of life. That may fool some but not me. Virtually Every decently educated or professional person I've met that has lived in Florida doesn't have good things to say. Nether do I.

You guys can bash California all you like but parts of it are still good places to live. Most parts of Florida aren't. Simple as that.

By the way your talk of tax structure makes me thing you're setting an agenda. Florida's high insurance is more than enough to put CA and FL equal. You probably don't know, since you don't even live in the state of Florida, but people are going belly up from flood insurance. Imagine paying 35k per year for flood insurance. It's happening down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California