Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:15 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Fought and died to keep you free to run your mouth.
As I recollect, the Conservatives opposed the entry of the US into WW2, preferring Isolationism.

Going back a bit further, the Conservatives split the country and wound up with 600,000 dead Americans so they could own human beings like cattle.

and a bit further, they fought against the liberals to preserve the colonies as British Crown properties. Look up, "Tories"

and in between, they vociferously opposed the Federal Constitution they preferred the Articles of Confederation.

Interesting. No one seems to be able to come up with anything the Conservatives ever did for the good of the country.

Even Western Pilgrim, the great cheerleader for medieval theology and politics cannot come up with anything.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times
What I have noticed is that many Conservatives are "lazy thinkers". That is why channels like Fox News and radio hosts like Rush Limbaugh are so popular. Why think when Rush or Glen or some other talking head will do it for you? I get a lot of enjoyment looking up Sarah Palin and Tea Party rallies on YouTube and these are the types that are sadly misinformed. It's scary these people can vote.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Conservatives also tend toward hierarchical thinking, and line up behind authoritative figures. Like the folks you mention.

Normal people tend toward global thinking, things are co equal, and they do not follow authoritarian figures.

Conservatives will often say things about liberals following Obama, or Pelosi, or Reid, or George Soros, in that, they are ascribing their own psychological operant to people who just don't see the world in the same way.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I find jingoism to be fanatical folly. And I think there are at least a dozen other countries as appealing to my sense of freedom and social equitability. Pretty much all of Europe. Australia. New Zealand. Socially forward-thinking. Cultures cognizant that man is a social animal by nature and therefore government to serve individual self interests is anathema.

That said, what is most remarkable about the good old USA is that our social democratic experiment is done on such a huge and diverse scale. This experiment, however, appears to be challenged lately by the increasing threats of fundamentalism -- as evidenced in the OP's topic here. Religious and moral fanaticism is getting nuttier by the day in America. This is one of the qualities of California I appreciate the most: the push-back against the conservative fundamentalist mentalities.

Beware men who are overly concerned with the virtuousness of women! Women and men bear equal responsibilities for their respective well beings.
Europe learned the hard way what jingoism can do. It nearly destroyed them. Twice. Probably has a lot to do with their balance today.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
What I have noticed is that many Conservatives are "lazy thinkers". That is why channels like Fox News and radio hosts like Rush Limbaugh are so popular. Why think when Rush or Glen or some other talking head will do it for you? I get a lot of enjoyment looking up Sarah Palin and Tea Party rallies on YouTube and these are the types that are sadly misinformed. It's scary these people can vote.
Granted, I don't think liberals are completely free of following the crowd either, but sometimes the neocons truly scare me sometimes.

Whenever a country is divided, and there is a group of fanatics that appeal to a idealized past that never existed, you get the ingredients for the beginnings of fascism.

I'm sure the average German citizen had no idea what was to come when Jews were made to wear the patches. After all, all they wanted was for them to have less money and influence, and to encourage them to leave.

Wonder how that sounds in relation to some recent illegal immigration enforcement policies in Arizona? Papers please!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Conservatives also tend toward hierarchical thinking, and line up behind authoritative figures. Like the folks you mention.

Normal people tend toward global thinking, things are co equal, and they do not follow authoritarian figures.

Conservatives will often say things about liberals following Obama, or Pelosi, or Reid, or George Soros, in that, they are ascribing their own psychological operant to people who just don't see the world in the same way.
Even though, the hard line conservatives will call liberals "sheeple".

(Keep in mind for all you open minded moderate conservatives out there, none of this applies to you. Only to those who spew vitriol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California