Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 PM

231 posts, read 591,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Dang, User and I agree on something! I pointed out to the ogetc that if he paid 30,000 in CA income tax he must have an income of around $300,000 and if so, what was he doing hanging out on an internet forum, heck, I'd be having a beer in Papeete or the south of France.
Point in fact you didn't pay attention again. I said 10k a year for three years not 30k for 1 year. That was clever there, how you twisted what I said to make your point seem better. NOT.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
https://webapp.ftb.ca.gov/taxcalc/ca...edirectURL=OTC

In 2011, a $100,000 TAXABLE income results in:

$6,946 if you are single
$4,594 if you are married filing jointly

Of course, if you make $100K a year, there are deductions which would result in a lower TAXABLE income.

Not taking sides here, just sharing some info.
$7k seems pretty close to $10k to me. Some will see something that costs $89 and say it costs 80 bucks. I see a $89 price tag and say that costs 100 bucks. Rounding out numbers is a real touchy thing with some people. Perhaps my total income was a smidge over my base of a 100k, but the rough numbers are pretty close. By the way I was not submitting my numbers for an audit. Just sharing my experience. Take it for what it is worth to you. If it is worth nothing to you, so sorry, for I truly intend to provide my experience to those interested in sharing there experiences in an open non-threatening environment.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:27 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
$7k seems pretty close to $10k to me. Some will see something that costs $89 and say it costs 80 bucks. I see a $89 price tag and say that costs 100 bucks. Rounding out numbers is a real touchy thing with some people. Perhaps my total income was a smidge over my base of a 100k, but the rough numbers are pretty close. By the way I was not submitting my numbers for an audit. Just sharing my experience. Take it for what it is worth to you. If it is worth nothing to you, so sorry, for I truly intend to provide my experience to those interested in sharing there experiences in an open non-threatening environment.
No need to be sorry, and your input is worthwhile and I'm not trying to be threatening. I didn't post what I did to point out an error or anything. Again, I read this thread with interest because I am moving BACK to California for a variety of reasons. I remembered the Tax board website from my time in CA and decided to check it out.

For me, there's a big difference between 7K and 10K - that's $250 a month. That's substantial for me. But everyone is different.

In my situation, the higher taxes I will pay on income will be at least partially offset by reduced property taxes. The house I will be in may not be as big, but it is closer to people and things I value more than the dollar - so the added expense is worth it.

Last edited by dbbd; 09-19-2012 at 09:46 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 12:20 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,704,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Nonsense, on so many levels.

First off, why do you think the claim that California is so uniquely desirable is a certainty? What makes you so sure that many folks couldn't find as much, or more, happiness and contentment in other much less expensive places? Do you not realize that many folks absolutely love places near the Great Lakes, or some of the river cities in the Midwest, or places along the East or Gulf Coastlines?

You are only expressing your own point of view.

Millions of folks, likely 10's of millions of folks, would completely disagree with you.
Err. Sort of. I can go through each state and give you reasons why Arizona has a huge snow bird population and why people only really stay for economic reasons. I can give you more reasons why California and Arizona breed with each other. An example of that is when California has bad economic problems, people flood to Arizona, at least back in the early 80s. When times are good, late 80s, people let the Phoenix burn and move back to California, then leave again after the dot com bust, 00'. I know i've experienced this personally.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:25 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,233,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Err. Sort of. I can go through each state and give you reasons why Arizona has a huge snow bird population and why people only really stay for economic reasons. I can give you more reasons why California and Arizona breed with each other. An example of that is when California has bad economic problems, people flood to Arizona, at least back in the early 80s. When times are good, late 80s, people let the Phoenix burn and move back to California, then leave again after the dot com bust, 00'. I know i've experienced this personally.
But I know a lot of folks who have moved to places like South Carolina, North Carolina or Florida and had a significant tax benefit as compared to California, and would never want to leave those places and move here even without the significant tax advantage.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,967,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
Now you are attacking, but I will try to answer your question.
Attacking = "presenting facts"?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,418,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
But I know a lot of folks who have moved to places like South Carolina, North Carolina or Florida and had a significant tax benefit as compared to California, and would never want to leave those places and move here even without the significant tax advantage.
I had a friend visit CA from TN. He was here 2 weeks (OC) and said while he loved the weather he would never move here. To many other problems to contend with. CA is a beautiful State, with huge geographical advantages. However the mas of people and the Gov't have made it less desirable to many.

Some say, yeah but it snows in the winter in TN, KY, IN, OH, etc. Yes but, it does in places in CA where people live year round and love it. Others speak of the humidity, but many love the beauty of say, NC, VA, etc and the humidity is worth the experience each day. I own property in CA, FL and TN. When in TN I don't have to drive to see beauty, I just look out a window and it is the equal of virtually anything in CA. Then I drive down a road and minimal traffic and endless beauty. Does this mean I don't like CA? Nope as it has it's own appeal.

No State is perfect and CA certainly isn't and is not the "Best" State for everyone.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
No need to be sorry, and your input is worthwhile and I'm not trying to be threatening. I didn't post what I did to point out an error or anything. Again, I read this thread with interest because I am moving BACK to California for a variety of reasons. I remembered the Tax board website from my time in CA and decided to check it out.

For me, there's a big difference between 7K and 10K - that's $250 a month. That's substantial for me. But everyone is different.

In my situation, the higher taxes I will pay on income will be at least partially offset by reduced property taxes. The house I will be in may not be as big, but it is closer to people and things I value more than the dollar - so the added expense is worth it.
dbbd, I appreciate your response. So if my income was say 140k does that really matter? The whole point is that I do not pay State income tax in Washington. .highnlite tried to claim Washington made it up on sales tax, but I just don't see it. The Washington sales tax rate is close to California and my spending habits are not very different from one state to the next.
My property taxes are more dollars total in Washington compared to what I was paying for less square footage and land in California. If you place a prioroty on open space and having ten acres of land between you and your neighbors, then you might be willing to pay more property tax for that. I know 10 acres in Orange County Ca would cost me much more in property taxes than I am paying in Washington for 10 acres.
Like I said before I am not promoting Washington as better than California, just my experiences in moving from California to Washington. I actually love California and wish I could afford to live there on 10 acres with less people. I cannot change the State, so I changed my location. The most important aspect will always be an individuals priorities like you said "being closer to things you value more". I can appreciate that.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Attacking = "presenting facts"?
Well he did call me a liar in his post. You are correct attacking is subjective. Just ask around and you will get various interpretations of attacking.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,691,479 times
Quote:
highnlite tried to claim Washington made it up on sales tax
Huh no. I might have said that was one area, but the fact remains that the total state and city tax burden difference between California and Washington is very little, and in fact the difference between the highest taxed state and the lowest taxed state is only about 5%.

It is helpful to respond with what a poster says, rather than what you wished they said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California