Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,749 times

Advertisements

Hi there! So at the end of this year (Fall 2011), I'll finally be graduating with my BS in Elementary Education with TESOL and Reading Endorsement here in Florida. However, the job opportunity here in Florida, especially for teachers, are kind of rocky. =/ I was thinking of moving back to California (I've lived there until I was 16) but I know that the economy there is pretty scary. So, far I've checked out Temecula, Ca which has some pretty affordable homes for a person with a teacher's salary. Anyway, I was wondering what are some good areas to look into in California that's teacher-friendly (decent cost of living for the pay, hiring), especially for someone who will just be graduating with an out-of-state license? By the way, I am also open to hearing other suggestions in other states. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 02:26 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
I don't think there is anywhere in CA immune from the teacher problems (cutbackbacks, layoffs, hiring freezes, etc...) right now similar to what you see in Florida. Your best bet is to simply look in the areas where you are interested in and hope to find an entry level position - cast a wide net. Having TESOL should help your cause especially here in the more predominent hispanic areas, which are many really.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:47 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,602 times
If you want to teach in California or even sub here, you must have passed the CBEST.

Also, California doesn't have a reciprocal teaching credential arrangement with Florida, so you will have to get a CA state teaching credential. There's an awful lot of hoops to jump through. You can start an emergency Spec. Ed. credential and be hired by most districts. You also need to CLAD to teach here, yet another waste-of-time-and-money 12 units. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:05 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.
At least you're being realistic. This year has been one of the worst in terms of budget cuts to education. LAUSD is one of many school districts still in the process of being cut.
Los Angeles Unified layoffs: Los Angeles schools face tough decisions - latimes.com

Old 06-26-2011, 03:17 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
If you want to teach in California or even sub here, you must have passed the CBEST.

Also, California doesn't have a reciprocal teaching credential arrangement with Florida, so you will have to get a CA state teaching credential. There's an awful lot of hoops to jump through. You can start an emergency Spec. Ed. credential and be hired by most districts. You also need to CLAD to teach here, yet another waste-of-time-and-money 12 units. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.
Completely agree.

And as another member pointed out, over the past two years something like 12,000 (twelve thousand) teachers have been laid off due to budget cuts.

I graduated from UC Santa Barbara and passed the CBEST. Did some teaching in Irvine and Huntington Beach.

If you are coming from another state, may want to be aware that California grads do get shown some preferencing in the vetting process. May want to stay in Florida.

~Cali-girl

Old 06-26-2011, 03:23 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
Completely agree.

And as another member pointed out, over the past two years something like 12,000 (twelve thousand) teachers have been laid off due to budget cuts.

I graduated from UC Santa Barbara and passed the CBEST. Did some teaching in Irvine and Huntington Beach.

If you are coming from another state, may want to be aware that California grads do get shown some preferencing in the vetting process. May want to stay in Florida.

~Cali-girl
Another option to consider is private schools which sometimes pay less. But at least you gain experience.

Derek

Old 06-26-2011, 03:37 PM

Just wanted to add to my above-post that the best place to look for teaching jobs is through Teach for America. All of these TFA positions are in inner-cities or educationally-distressed areas of the country.

~Cali-girl

Old 06-26-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Another option to consider is private schools which sometimes pay less. But at least you gain experience.

Derek
Yes, this is true. Also, private school teachers are permitted to instruct without a California Teaching Credential.

One thing: Parochial schools generally want someone with the same religious background.

~Cali-girl

Old 06-26-2011, 07:17 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 587,746 times
Two friend in my circle have lost their jobs within the past year. One is now moving to Las Vegas with the hopes of landing something there. One of the best elementary schools in out town just closed a couple of weeks ago because enrollment is also done. I would probably keep your options open and start looking elsewhere too.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveajetta View Post
Hi there! So at the end of this year (Fall 2011), I'll finally be graduating with my BS in Elementary Education with TESOL and Reading Endorsement here in Florida. However, the job opportunity here in Florida, especially for teachers, are kind of rocky. =/ I was thinking of moving back to California (I've lived there until I was 16) but I know that the economy there is pretty scary. So, far I've checked out Temecula, Ca which has some pretty affordable homes for a person with a teacher's salary. Anyway, I was wondering what are some good areas to look into in California that's teacher-friendly (decent cost of living for the pay, hiring), especially for someone who will just be graduating with an out-of-state license? By the way, I am also open to hearing other suggestions in other states. Thanks!
Not to be the bearers of bad tidings, but you have picked a field that is very iffy today, regardless of where you would like to live. With all the new teachers in Ca and all the cut backs it is unlikely you could find a job in any school district unless you have pull. I don't know if that will help right now. Add to it, you will be looking for employment in the off season.

I realize this isn't what you want to hear, but it is reality. If I were you I would start applying throughout Florida for starters? Where are you doing your student teaching or are you? You best hope and it is still very competitive would be to try private schools.

Good luck, if you can not find a decent teaching job you may have to settle for a TA job or choose another field for the time being anyway.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California