Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times

Advertisements

A respectful suggestion: clean up your punctuation before you submit any job apps or letters. There IS such a thing as an apostrophe. Hope things work out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 02:47 PM

4 posts, read 5,280 times
Thanks to all that replied. I shouls have been more clear. First let me respond to the comment about running away from my problems. I am not running away from my problems I am far intelligent to know that where ever i decide to reloacte problems will be. please be a bit more intelligent when replying to my post! My degree in Criminal Justice is not based off of comercials to the other asinine comment made. I am applying to law school and my decisions are based on what school is good for me of course but mainly based on my children such as what good schools for them, what kind of activities they can get involve in, what kind of jobs in my degree i can get etc. I am not intimidated by a large popuation of another race. I am not afraid of competition. What i dont like is the opportunity is out there but not for a person with my caliber. I have the degree, and experience but the jobs over look me because i am not bilingual or sad to say white. I want to be somewhere, where it fair opportunity.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 5,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
A respectful suggestion: clean up your punctuation before you submit any job apps or letters. There IS such a thing as an apostrophe. Hope things work out for you.
LOL this is a blog, i type freely. thats like asking to make sure a text messages have the correct punctuation marks....your bored i see thanks anyway!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
I told someone this here yesterday.... you can't move away from your problems, they'll still be with you when you get there.
Tell this to someone born in a war zone... They just need to suck it up and stop whining.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:27 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospective_law_student View Post
Thanks to all that replied. I shouls have been more clear. First let me respond to the comment about running away from my problems. I am not running away from my problems I am far intelligent to know that where ever i decide to reloacte problems will be. please be a bit more intelligent when replying to my post! My degree in Criminal Justice is not based off of comercials to the other asinine comment made. I am applying to law school and my decisions are based on what school is good for me of course but mainly based on my children such as what good schools for them, what kind of activities they can get involve in, what kind of jobs in my degree i can get etc. I am not intimidated by a large popuation of another race. I am not afraid of competition. What i dont like is the opportunity is out there but not for a person with my caliber. I have the degree, and experience but the jobs over look me because i am not bilingual or sad to say white. I want to be somewhere, where it fair opportunity.
A CJ degree with your grammar?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:52 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
Quote:
LOL this is a blog, i type freely. thats like asking to make sure a text messages have the correct punctuation marks....your bored i see thanks anyway!

I use proper grammar and punctuation in text messages, so......

Old 03-13-2012, 04:38 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
A CJ degree with your grammar?
I totally agree-*no one* is going to hire someone for a CJ postion with that sort of grammar and spelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Go where you feel you can prosper. If you can't do it here in California then find a place that works for you.
Quote:
Hi,
I am a african american single mother of a 10 year old girl and a 6 year old boy. I am drained and frustrated about living in California. I dont feel being here will allowed me to prosper in California.
Here we go with that CA broad brush. What part of CA? Big state. Are we talking Weaverville or Irvine? Santa Monica or Yreka?

I was not prospering in CA (Ukiah). So I moved. Now I am prospering in CA (Sierra Nevada Land).

Like I said CA is a big State. Mostly rural BTW and it snows a lot in CA.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
Plan well, of course, but if you can find a better situation somewhere else then go for it. California doesn't work for everyone. Poor fit is not a failure. You haven't failed a pair of shoes, or yourself, because the shoes are too tight.

However, I have a question that you can probably answer better: Is law and criminal justice not state specific? Will your current education serve you in Texas, for example?

You also mentioned one condition that you can change--you can learn Spanish. Arguing against the need won't do you any real good. I hate having to learn new softwares just because the industry dictates it, but if I want to stay competitive I just, well, have to and that's the end of the story.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:47 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
I'd recommend Texas also. I moved to CA the same time my co worker moved to Texas. He's enjoying his new life, I went broke in CA and back in Indiana, a horrible boring state (indiana). Many prosper in CA and many nosedive into poverty or homelessness, do what's right for you. Sounds like a move may be a good idea. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
This is possibly the strangest set of replies I've seen on C-D in a long time!
wow. I read the OP and felt for the person. I totally understood where she was coming from, even with a few typos or lack of grammer. [I've seen MUCH worse in C-D; this was completely legible, to me].

I understood that OP feels the crunch of being a single parent in a very expensive location. sure, ,there are other expensive locations, but CA is right up there with them. You look down the road, into your future, and don't see home ownership, even if you eventually have a job. You see frankly more economic segregation than in many other states, as well as racial. [Yes, much of CA is very diverse and live and let live; however, if you are black/AA, you can find more diversity economically, among AA's in Atlanta, Virginia cities, North and South Carolina, etc. In my experience in CA, the overall % of AA is smaller, and the overall % of low income is much higher, proportionally.]

In CA, you will also find alot of mediocre at best schools, and expensive activities.

That said, I love living in CA, and have done so, with children, for 10 years. But, I don't deny that it's tough to make it here. I've found better support in smaller states that are prosperous but without such a large population utilizing it's infrastructure. [ie, Colorado; I also think AZ has some points in this department, though not entirely].

As others have said, some people trhive in CA [or anywhere, for that matter], and some people have a heck of a time and it does not work out. That's individual, perhaps it's fated; but it is a fact of life. You can take two equal sets of circumstances, two different people, and have completely different outcomes, in the same location. Things can look great on paper, or in theory; there's always an intangible something that is at play, as well.

I will also add that sometimes people need to explore new locations, move away from 'home' base. Sometimes it's a job, or lack thereof; sometimes it's a new relationship that pulls you. But perhaps these are just 'external reasons' for an internal push.

I think the OP may be experiencing this.

I have no idea why someone would tell a person trying to better themselves, that their problems will be with them wherever they go. People have left CA for jobs and cheaper housing in texas, and several other locations. I've never seen responses to these folks, such as I've seen to this post.

I doubt the OP is still looking at this thread; I know I wouldn't.
But if she is, I agree that Texas could be a good spot, and possibly Atlanta metro area.
Learning Spanish as suggested by someone else, is really just part of 'continuing education', and any field will require this.
Also, I am not sure where you are located, but perhaps another part of CA? San Diego, maybe? Temecula? I don't know, I'm just throwing a few ideas out there.

The OP was not specific on desires in terms of climate, location, etc. This is true. But I think her post was a general iniquiry, to get some ideas of directions to go in. There are different posts on C-D. Sometimes people literally don't know where to begin. Keep that in mind. And this does not always mean the poster is clueless or hasn't done their homework. If you feel like it's a waste of your time to answer said threads, then don't post! Simple! The thread will go away, most likely, and we'll be on to the next one.

If you do choose to comment, attempt to answer the question the OP asked.
Then, the OP might come back with more questions, based on suggestions; or, she may research further on her own, for example.

Good luck to OP; and maybe something will come up in CA, in the meantime.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California