Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 04:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,599 times

Advertisements

I have a job lined up in Novato and need help finding a town with excellent schools and a decent community feel. I can spend around 750k. The wife would like a house with some land and a more rural feel. I prefer a less rural feel...we're working this out. Schools are the number one priority as we have 3 young children. Thanks for helping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:43 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcnevs View Post
I have a job lined up in Novato and need help finding a town with excellent schools and a decent community feel. I can spend around 750k. The wife would like a house with some land and a more rural feel. I prefer a less rural feel...we're working this out. Schools are the number one priority as we have 3 young children. Thanks for helping!
Petaluma, Sebastepol, Sonoma, etc....

Go here to check out where the great schools are and welcome to the Tax base. This state needs all the money it can get.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/ac/ap/

Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,599 times
Thanks for the link and the towns...what can you tell me about taxes? How are they levied? Auto? Sales? Property? I've heard about schools strongly "suggesting" parents pay each $$ each year for programs? Has anyone heard of this?

Old 02-20-2012, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,228 times
I moved to Novato from Los Angeles about 8 months ago. I can help you quite a bit as I've been getting to know the area. Public Schools in Novato and all of Marin County are very good from what I understand. My daughter goes to private school so I didn't do the complete research. The public elementary school near my house has a 19/1 ratio and a pretty high rating. Working in Novato will be great because anywhere you live in Marin County you will travel against traffic. House wise 750 is a solid price point but with land also that might be tricky. Novato will give you the most for your money but as far as a social atmosphere it's not here. It's a cute community but a Friday night date night and a dinner out you will really need to travel to another community near by. The sidewalks roll up pretty early here. Grocery shopping 24 hrs here but kids clothes and shoes and housewares that kind of stuff you have to travel a bit for unless Target covers all your needs. Coming from Los Angeles I'm used to everything at my fingertips at all hours life is not like that here. Make sure you factor into your budget high gas and electric bills and high food bills. The cost of living is extremely high. I have a 3000 sq. ft. house and I've never paid less than 400 a month to PG&E. I would take a hard look at Fairfax it might give you both something. Really cute area with houses nestled among the trees but also a cute little town with boutiques, a movie theatre and cute little bistro's for a glass of wine when needed. It's also close to San Rafael where you would do most of your shopping. There is so much to tell I hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:55 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,072,683 times
Fairfax, maybe Mill Valley. Sebastopol has great schools, some orchards and farmland, small town, and a few charter schools, including two waldorf based. Petaluma and Novato schools not that great. Fairfax and mill valley have good schools. Further north, though you'd have a bit of a commute, Healdsburg is charming, safe, beautiful and has good schools.

great schools dot org is an excellent resource, with parent reviews, test score ratings, etc.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
In your shoes I would chose Novato itself. With 3 kids you'll want a 4BR, houses here in the Bay Area are small by normal US standards. The rest of Marin is quite expensive and less family friendly than Novato.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California