Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:58 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times

Advertisements

In which areas is it possible to get around and live without a car in Southern California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:57 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
In Southern California, if you live here or here or here or here you don't need a car to get around.

You won't need a car if you live here, either.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
In Southern California, if you live here or here or here or here you don't need a car to get around.

You won't need a car if you live here, either.
I asked a real question. Your answer is not helpful.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Your real question does not really have a real answer.

Here in CA the state is not pedestrian or mass transit friendly.

SportyandMisty probably was flippant as this is the second most asked question in the CA forums next to "Where can I rent a SAFE, CHEAP BEACH house for $400"
My brother in law rented in Sacramento for 30 years with no auto. He still had to borrow vehicles time to time so that nulls that thought.
Long Beach could almost be doable as they do have a startup of train working. As long as you live like a hermit and just wander out for groceries and work Long Beach could work. But that is not really living is it?

Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times
Santa Monica has excellent public transit via their Big Blue Bus system, and will be getting connected to downtown LA eventually thanks to the Expo rail line.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 PM

So am I correct that it is possible to live without a car in certain areas in the Greater L.A. area?

Old 03-09-2012, 12:16 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
it was pretty funny though.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
So am I correct that it is possible to live without a car in certain areas in the Greater L.A. area?
Yes, you can technically live anywhere in the world without a car.

Now, if your question is "can I enjoy life living in LA without a car", it simply comes down to your ability adapt, and how much freedom you wish to give up to make this sacrifice. Personally, I would not want to live without a car [anywhere in the world], but thousands of people do it every day in LA. Some on this forum will argue that LA public transportation in 100% adequate. Some argue the inverse.

To answer your *simple* question with a *simple* answer, yes, it is possible to live in some areas of LA without a car, and get by perfectly fine.

If you would like to provide more details, you will get a more detailed answer - where your job will be, how many miles your commute will be, how many lines of public transportation you'll need to take to get to your destination, etc.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
it was pretty funny though.
Especially if your level of emotional maturity never made it past that of 10-year old.

It's true that Glorification of the Holy Car is California's unofficial state religion, so making fun of those lemmings who aren't running toward the cliff is great sport for those who are. The State and her citizens are in deep denial about Peak Oil and are doing very little in terms of planning for a transportation future with the reality of $10-a-gallon gas.

That said, some places are much, much more bike-friendly than others. The best is probably SLO (which isn't really in southern California, though it's close). Long Beach, Thousand Oaks and newer parts of Irvine would be some other contenders. BTW, there's much more to southern California than the Greater L.A. area.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
Especially if your level of emotional maturity never made it past that of 10-year old.

It's true that Glorification of the Holy Car is California's unofficial state religion. The State and her citizens are in deep denial about Peak Oil and are doing very little in terms of planning for a transportation future with the reality of $10-a-gallon gas.

That said, some places are much, much more bike-friendly than others. The best is probably SLO (which isn't really in southern California, though it's close). Long Beach, Thousand Oaks and newer parts of Irvine would be some other contenders.
This is an online message board and I would argue that people taking it too seriously lack emotional maturity past that of a 10-year old.

Furthermore, those who ask questions like the one in this thread, without a shred of research on their own (bus/train maps, routes, etc) share the internet search capabilities of a 10 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California