Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 PM

55 posts, read 189,785 times

Advertisements

I have a 1995 oldsmobile cierra. Everything runs fine as far as I know, im just worried that since it is old it wont pass the test. If this is true, I'd rather sell it bebefore I move. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 PM

844 posts, read 2,101,223 times
I hear stories of certain locations which, upon a bribe, will pass just about any car. However, I am not able to find the details of these shops. People are unwilling to give up the info for fear of getting caught, as it is illegal activity.

The only way to know if it will pass is to have it tested at a CA smog check location. Cars which appear to run just fine can be rejected by the state. Where is it coming from? How many miles? The older the car, the more likely the catalytic convertors are used up.

Are you keeping it for sentimental reasons? If not, you might be able to sell your car over there & buy the same thing here without losing a dime. Some cities outside CA have better markets for basic transportation. Here, it seemed like I had to pull teeth to find a buyer for a perfectly reliable '94 model. Everyone wanted a garage queen, with no miles, for free.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:25 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
I hear stories of certain locations which, upon a bribe, will pass just about any car. However, I am not able to find the details of these shops. People are unwilling to give up the info for fear of getting caught, as it is illegal activity.

The only way to know if it will pass is to have it tested at a CA smog check location. Cars which appear to run just fine can be rejected by the state. Where is it coming from? How many miles? The older the car, the more likely the catalytic convertors are used up.

Are you keeping it for sentimental reasons? If not, you might be able to sell your car over there & buy the same thing here without losing a dime. Some cities outside CA have better markets for basic transportation. Here, it seemed like I had to pull teeth to find a buyer for a perfectly reliable '94 model. Everyone wanted a garage queen, with no miles, for free.
Thats not entirely true - you can have testing run anywhere with proper testing equipment, but its very difficult to find someone with that knowledge outside of CA, unless your state has similar requirements (doubtful if you're asking the question).

I know a fair amount about the testing, but its explained better in this article.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 PM

55 posts, read 189,785 times
I live in Kentucky. We have nothing like smog check. Would you say that it is common for older cars to fail? Or not necessarily.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
If still in stock condition and in good condition it should pass.
A general way to pass if in good running shape - a spark plug change and a fresh gas cap will get you thru.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 21,446 times
There are two smog codes, so to speak, California and Federal. Your olds is probably under federal smog codes. I agree with an earlier poster, If it is still in good shape, you should pass. This is what I do. Change the oil, make sure there is fresh gas at least a half tank, and a new gas cap. If your check engine light is on, it won't. A low coolant level may trigger a fail. Make sure all fluids are at manufacture level. I was an ASE certified Service Writer, till I became a Realtor. Good Luck

Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barretts08 View Post
I live in Kentucky. We have nothing like smog check. Would you say that it is common for older cars to fail? Or not necessarily.
I've got a '97 and it's always passed.
Last smog check was about a year ago ... no problem.
I've kept it in really good condition.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:04 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
If still in stock condition and in good condition it should pass.
A general way to pass if in good running shape - a spark plug change and a fresh gas cap will get you thru.
Yes, this and run it for at least 45 minutes before the actual test. Take it on the freeway.

Make sure you have an appointment and don't have your car sitting in a parking stall for an hour before they get to it.

I saw this poor woman have her car fail after the workers at 15 Minute Smog blow off her appointment and made her wait. She had her car running for a while before showing up on time, only to wait and have it fail.

BTW, don't go to 15 Minute Smog (that 15 min. is bs). Go where they can take you right away during your appointment.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,223 times
More helpful info: Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29

The other comments are about cars which have a track record of passing CA smog. In this case, the car has never been checked. They may find hoses misrouted or the cats are used up. I am not saying this will be the case, but believe in providing both sides of the story so you yourself can make up your mind. Most of the time you will probably be okay, but if you came from a snow area & your cat(s) are rusted out... BAM failed smog. California cars are not exposed to road salts, so this is not something most Californians think about.

PS - Kentucky is great. I miss living there!!!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:29 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Simons View Post
...I was an ASE certified Service Writer, till I became a Realtor. Good Luck
Just out of curiosity, given your background, you might know if a '95 era car might need a new catalytic converter. Is that likely or unlikely? or would that show up as a "check engine light"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California