Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 10:06 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,905,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Huge difference between California gas prices and practically everyone else.
Nearly, yep ... but not everyone else.
About 10 days ago I wandered back up to Washington to hang out waiting for birth of another grandchild. The gas price difference as I crossed into Oregon and then Washington was pretty close to indiscernible. It is remaining so -- with the odd exception of diesel which I use, that has now dipped just a bit below regular unleaded up here.

Now there's a clue for you. Refineries are producing (or not so much, in this case) gasoline. Diesel is dropping with crude pricing.

Here's a short news piece reporting on Washington state governor Chris Gregoire identifying the refineries as the problem and writing to the oil / gas industry requesting attention to west coast production.

Gov. Gregoire targets high gas prices | WA drivers pay $4.24/gallon - Federal Way Mirror

Claims that California is third highest pricing in the nation, after Alaska and Hawaii -- and with Washington nearly the same as California (my wallet agrees) ... Oregon right on the tail of Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Default update

Just bumped into another short item about west coast gas price spikes ... perhaps about to get real intriguing:
Researcher Can
There is almost no detail here ... but it cites that a researcher in Oregon pressed Washington Governor Gregoire to launch an investigation based on suspicion of 'profiteering', if I understand correctly.

A large Washington refinery (Cherry Point, BP, within distant sight of my Washington island property) experienced a fire in February and had to close down for repairs. Yet California refineries continued their normal maintenance shutdowns -- rather than continue to produce to maintain inventories on the west coast until Cherry Point was up again, as would be expected to take advantage of the high pricing. The researcher says that if this was done intentionally, to allow inventories to drop as they did to create a market spike, it amounts to profiteering.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 AM

880 posts, read 1,416,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Just bumped into another short item about west coast gas price spikes ... perhaps about to get real intriguing:
Researcher Can
There is almost no detail here ... but it cites that a researcher in Oregon pressed Washington Governor Gregoire to launch an investigation based on suspicion of 'profiteering', if I understand correctly.

A large Washington refinery (Cherry Point, BP, within distant sight of my Washington island property) experienced a fire in February and had to close down for repairs. Yet California refineries continued their normal maintenance shutdowns -- rather than continue to produce to maintain inventories on the west coast until Cherry Point was up again, as would be expected to take advantage of the high pricing. The researcher says that if this was done intentionally, to allow inventories to drop as they did to create a market spike, it amounts to profiteering.
$3.05 here unless I use my Food store value card, then it is $2.90.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Diesel continues to fall up north here, well under $4 ($3.89 - $3.79 some pumps) ... but gas is not down much ... Costco is the only place below $4.04 ($3.95) ... most stations are still above $4.15 and as high as $4.45 for unleaded!

The fall in diesel, normally higher than unleaded, is really telling and points to the refinery fiasco cited ...

Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,964,882 times
We're at $3.87 for ur.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:43 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,727,212 times
3.85 reg/ 3.81 diesel

Old 06-11-2012, 02:59 PM

So now California is no longer the most expensive in the lower 48 I guess ... Washington is worse and I'll have to check Oregon.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,035,475 times
I paid $4.00 yesterday. A barrel of oil is around $84.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California