Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times

Advertisements

Teaching is a thankless job.

If teachers in the public education system have become the enemy to you folks, then I suggest enrolling your kids in private schools.

Don't expect education to come without a cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 10:12 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post

If teachers in the public education system have become the enemy to you folks, then I suggest enrolling your kids in private schools.

Every job is thankless. You get a damn pay check, do your job or your fired. That should be the only measurement.

Individual teachers per se have not become the enemy, the Unions and their bought and paid for Politicians are the enemy.

I have sent my kids to private school since they were in K. Along with many other public school teachers and public union employees.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Every job is thankless. You get a damn pay check, do your job or your fired. That should be the only measurement.

Individual teachers per se have not become the enemy, the Unions and their bought and paid for Politicians are the enemy.

I have sent my kids to private school since they were in K. Along with many other public school teachers and public union employees.
Proof that you are not aware of the reality that goes on in the classroom.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:42 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Teaching is one of those jobs people take knowing the conditions, then whine about it and act like the deserve a medal for it. There's no locks of the doors if you decide you'd like a different occupation.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:00 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Proof that you are not aware of the reality that goes on in the classroom.
Stop with the BS

I am very aware what goes on in classrooms as I have to suffer through the bitching and moaning sessions each time I get together with family some of whom are public teachers. I always tell them anytime youd like to come work for me in Landscaping digging dirt I could find a place for them. needless to same none of them have taken me up on the offer. Even the ones that lost their jobs for a while before being hired back.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 AM

570 posts, read 1,730,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I respect good teachers. And I know they work much more than 180 days.

But there are few bodies of people that whine so much when there is a whiff of discussion about accountability and measuring their performance. Teachers close ranks just like law enforcement does when one of their dear colleagues is considered for firing.

The national non-profit organization National Council on Teacher Quality ranks California with a D+. They give California a 'F' for policies related to exiting ineffective teachers.

State Teacher Policy Yearbook 2011

In my opinion, at least 5% of teachers everywhere deserve to be fired every year, just like 5% of engineers, accountants, plumbers, sales clerks, waiters, etc. 5 of 100 workers in any field are not doing their job well enough to keep it. But how many teachers are fired? 0.5%? Not in NYC where the number is 0.3%. The number of teachers that deserve to be fired might be higher because they have been overprotected for so long. If teachers want higher pay, they should be held more accountable for their performance.

It stuns me that California has a law that mandates a fixed percentage state spending (40%) on education. That isn't based on demonstrated needs or budgets of any kind. The spending levels should be determined bottoms up like all budgets should.

This. You should allow to fire bad teachers. Good teachers can make good students, great. Bad teachers make bad students worst.

Union is not needed for higher teacher salary. In fact, Union is keeping the wage low. In return, we pass laws to force schools to hire more teachers and not allow them to fire the bad teachers.

"South Korea pays teachers on average 250 percent of what we do."
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/opinion/01eggers.html

The better proposal from another State is a Japan/Korean like school system. They spent less on school, produce better students, teachers have higher salary.

Less teachers and more students per class room. Only hire the best teachers, fire all the bad teachers, provide training to teachers.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:23 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I found it amusing the articles being put out how the union "rates" politicians. I guess so the minions know who to vote for to keep the lock.

High stakes game of chicken
SD Unified lays off more than 1,500 | UTSanDiego.com
A telling quote from another article about San Diego:

"Freeman says the union shouldn’t have to make concessions to solve the district’s budget problems.

Freeman’s view: The union didn’t create the district’s budget mess, so it shouldn’t be expected to solve it by making concessions."

Teachers Union Prez Breaks His Silence - voice of san diego: Education

I haven't found an article where the union offers a solution to the $122M deficit. They didn't cause the deficit so they don't have to help solve it? Good attitude. Same problem Detroit had with the UAW for so many years. Money doesn't grow on trees, and Jerry Brown can't just find it laying around somewhere.

When times are tough, sacrifices are required. And that should include the union.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:07 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
A telling quote from another article about San Diego:

"Freeman says the union shouldn’t have to make concessions to solve the district’s budget problems.

Freeman’s view: The union didn’t create the district’s budget mess, so it shouldn’t be expected to solve it by making concessions."

Teachers Union Prez Breaks His Silence - voice of san diego: Education

I haven't found an article where the union offers a solution to the $122M deficit. They didn't cause the deficit so they don't have to help solve it? Good attitude. Same problem Detroit had with the UAW for so many years. Money doesn't grow on trees, and Jerry Brown can't just find it laying around somewhere.

When times are tough, sacrifices are required. And that should include the union.
They usually rescind all the notices but this time around, with the tax measure probably failing, it's probably going to stick. 16 billion dollars is a lot of money.
The way I look at it is they can take their lumps the same as the private sector has since 2006.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:52 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:

The last of my kids is a week away from completely their K-12 public education (in Texas). I appreciate good teachers do not think of them as an enemy. I do not agree that it is a thankless job. If it were, then everyone would quit before too long.

I have worked on school finance issues here. I know schools aren't free. But what is a reasonable cost? Is the answer simply what the CTA says? How on earth is it prudent for the state to spend a fixed amount NO MATTER WHAT on schools? Do you think teachers should be immune from hardship when the state has a severe budget problem?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Stop with the BS

I am very aware what goes on in classrooms as I have to suffer through the bitching and moaning sessions each time I get together with family some of whom are public teachers. I always tell them anytime youd like to come work for me in Landscaping digging dirt I could find a place for them. needless to same none of them have taken me up on the offer. Even the ones that lost their jobs for a while before being hired back.
Somehow, I find this hard to believe as I always take your posts with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California