Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,752 times

Advertisements

Hi there, My sister lives in Valencia it's very nice, clean, family oriented, great school district and convent to everything (a ton of dining and shopping and great paceo's to walk, bike and play with the kids). However a tad bit uppity for me but is truly a nice place. I myself am currently trying to find something between Bakersfield and Valencia as well. In my research there is a whole section that is covered in mountain trees along the 5 freeway south of Bakersfield within an hour or so. These cities may suit your family plus be conducive to a reasonable commute for your husband. I can't say how they rank in school or community thus far as I'm still doing my own research but they are Filmore, Castaic, Frazier Park, Lebec, Lake Hughes and Lake Elizabeth. I wish you the best of luck. I lived in Cali years ago but now after living in the country side of Western NY it will be hard to leave behind all the lush green surrounding and cool weather during the summer but will not miss the heavy snow ; ). If you learn anything and would to share with my family that would be greatly appreciated.

Many blessings to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 03:41 PM

105 posts, read 306,333 times
I think Pine Mountain Club is your best bet. Also maybe check out the Pinon Pines / Cuddy Valley area of Frazier park.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:44 PM

149 posts, read 474,085 times
may I make a suggestion of the small community of Pinon pines, which is about 8 miles west of the I-5, at the frazier mountain off ramp...beautiful, pine trees, over 5000 foot elevation and nice views...roughly an hour from bakersfield, all on paved roads...home prices have dropped too, allowing someone to buy a large home in reasonable price ranges....like all of the "hill" area, there is no shopping to speak of, but there's a trade off for having cool nights, and cooler summer days, and beautiful surroundings!! ...

Old 09-05-2012, 05:04 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacox View Post
Hi there, My sister lives in Valencia it's very nice, clean, family oriented, great school district and convent to everything (a ton of dining and shopping and great paceo's to walk, bike and play with the kids). However a tad bit uppity for me but is truly a nice place. I myself am currently trying to find something between Bakersfield and Valencia as well. In my research there is a whole section that is covered in mountain trees along the 5 freeway south of Bakersfield within an hour or so. These cities may suit your family plus be conducive to a reasonable commute for your husband. I can't say how they rank in school or community thus far as I'm still doing my own research but they are Filmore, Castaic, Frazier Park, Lebec, Lake Hughes and Lake Elizabeth. I wish you the best of luck. I lived in Cali years ago but now after living in the country side of Western NY it will be hard to leave behind all the lush green surrounding and cool weather during the summer but will not miss the heavy snow ; ). If you learn anything and would to share with my family that would be greatly appreciated.

Many blessings to you.
I would not move anywhere that required your husband to drive the Grapevine 2 x daily. It is in horrible condition. Have either you or the OP ever checked into Springville?? Porterville? Tehachapi...?? Check these places out....might suit you better.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times
The OP posted this thread wayyyyy back in June. I guess we should thank futuretexan for resurrecting this discussion for those who would remotely consider relocating to Bakersfield.

I believe Bakersfield is a place for the criminally inclined to go when they have an arrest warrant out for them in Fresno.

A person once told me something about Bakersfield and it stuck with me till this day.

If you look at a map of the San Joaquin Valley, Bakersfield is located where it is for a reason. Everyone has one and so does California.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,616 times
I live in Bakersfield and it was the biggest mistake we ever made! We didn't come here by choice, my brother in law forced my in laws into buying a business and they needed us to run it even though we said no they pushed until we gave in. Had we known what our lives would turn into, it would have never happened!The air quality is the worse in the nation! Not my opinion,but fact on the air quality!I have asthma and it has progressively gotten worse over the last 7 years of being in Bakersfield. This year alone I have spent a total of 10 days hospitalized due to asthma.Three times of being taken by ambulance to the ER.My husband also contracted Valley Fever from working with the oilfield and has spent the last almost four years suffering! Almost 7 weeks hospitalized, almost dying at least three times and all the irreversible side effects from all the med's. He had to have surgery on his rt lung to save his life. We are stuck here and cannot leave because of financial reasons due to illness! There is nothing to do in Bakersfield. Unless all you are into is eating out and going to the movies. There are parks but if you are concerned about being exposed to the elements due to health reasons then you are stuck indoors. My oldest son ran from here as fast as he could. He went back to NY which is where we moved from ( couldn't even find a school here that he could attend, doing what he loved) He and his family are relocating back to CA but it isn't going to be Bakersfield. Please no one send me messages about what I wrote this is my and my family's experience, we know what we have gone through and is going through and I know that every time I step out that door, I cannot breathe!So I wouldn't advise anyone who values their health to live here!

Old 09-16-2012, 03:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Default Any nice places within an hour of Bakersfield?

Weed Patch!

Old 09-16-2012, 03:45 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Arvin's not far. Conde Nast's recent exposé includes it in one of the top 5 travel spots in the world.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Arvin's not far. Conde Nast's recent exposé includes it in one of the top 5 travel spots in the world.
Right behind Mogadishu,Somalia and Three Mile Island,Pennsylvania??

Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Arvin's got potatoes and carrots - it beats both Mog and 3MI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California