Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 6,534 times

Advertisements

with good air quality and a good infrastructure of public transportation?
I'm in Socal right now and I'm planning to move away from here. I don't like the snobby attitudes and all the moms with botox and miniature dogs .. However the most important things to me are cheap apartments, low pollution, and good public transportation.

I like the Greater Sacramento area but it seems to be lacking some of the things I want.

I haven't visited alot so I don't know exactly how all of Norcal is. Could someone help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 12:05 AM

124 posts, read 734,630 times
Sacramento is a great city with a lot of conservative familes.San Fran is much more big city-like, dense, but they have more liberals. All depends on what you like.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:57 AM

3 posts, read 6,534 times
I think I like suburban sacramento more just because its quieter and i can just drive to san fran if i really want to.

ive heard san fran is not so much on the art cultural side, I'm a graphic designer, do you think there's design houses in Sac where I could find a job?

Old 09-29-2007, 10:48 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,381,503 times
The Chico area near the university might be a good spot. I don't see the botox moms there at all.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:52 PM

430 posts, read 1,394,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investtt View Post
Sacramento is a great city with a lot of conservative familes.San Fran is much more big city-like, dense, but they have more liberals. All depends on what you like.
I think that was good advice. Here's my take on Sacramento. Sacramento is fairly culturally conservative, but still leans towards the democratic party, and is fairly open minded. The suburbs are on the whole more politically conservative compared to the city itself. Sacramento is unpretentious compared to a place like San Fran or coastal southern California, is much less expensive, is less polarized, but still has plenty of great culture, is diverse, + it is filled with trees! Of coarse you will find exceptions to that, -as you will almost anywhere. There are some very bad areas to avoid, as well as some iffy areas, and other areas that can by snobby, but on the whole I think those areas are more the exception than the norm, especially compared to most of coastal So-Cal. The city also has a walkable center, decent public transportation, great parks and nearby mountains, nice historic areas, great food, plenty of apartments (since you mentioned that as important) and still has some great middle class family areas that are not super expensive.

Also: check out Chico, a very nice and fairly cheap college town north of Sacramento that is even in some regards. Good luck! -Emil.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:56 PM

430 posts, read 1,394,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbh View Post
I think I like suburban sacramento more just because its quieter and i can just drive to san fran if i really want to.

ive heard san fran is not so much on the art cultural side, I'm a graphic designer, do you think there's design houses in Sac where I could find a job?
Not sure but I know Sacramento area has a significant high tech industry, especially around the suburbs of Rancho-Cordova and Folsom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California