Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

"... tax revenues in ____________ have yet to recover from the worst housing collapse since the Great Depression, fixed expenses like long-term contracts, debt interest and pension costs are squeezing the town’s budget....

“If there’s a pot of gold around here, I’d love to have someone show it to me.”

So would many of the roughly 20,000 cities and towns still struggling to balance their budgets more than five years after the housing collapse began eroding ... tax revenues...
"

Sound familiar? Must be a California town, right? All 20,000 towns having trouble must be in California, right?

To read post after post after post on this forum one would have to conclude that California is somehow uniquely dysfunctional ...

But it's not.

Thousands of towns face budget squeeze in downturn's wake - Economy Watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:43 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
"... tax revenues in ____________ have yet to recover from the worst housing collapse since the Great Depression, fixed expenses like long-term contracts, debt interest and pension costs are squeezing the town’s budget....

“If there’s a pot of gold around here, I’d love to have someone show it to me.”

So would many of the roughly 20,000 cities and towns still struggling to balance their budgets more than five years after the housing collapse began eroding ... tax revenues...
"

Sound familiar? Must be a California town, right? All 20,000 towns having trouble must be in California, right?

To read post after post after post on this forum one would have to conclude that California is somehow uniquely dysfunctional ...

But it's not.

Thousands of towns face budget squeeze in downturn's wake - Economy Watch
Well, as you know, California likes the lead the nation in everything.. So, while many towns are facing hardships.. California will likely lead this and go out w/ a bang ..

Up next and off the market wire :
SAN BERNARDINO, CALIFORNIA, WEIGHING CHAPTER 9 BANKRUPTCY - BBG
SAN BERNARDINO COUNCIL TO DISCUSS ACTION, SPOKESWOMAN SAYS - BBG
SAN BERNARDINO SPOKESWOMAN GWENDOLYN WATERS SPOKE IN INTERVIEW - BBG

I exit at tops always. Enjoy the show .. Everyone was calling me a loon for years. Now you get to see the reality i saw w/ your own eyes.
Hopefully, in all of this, people don't flip out greece style :

Old 07-11-2012, 12:18 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
OUR SAVIOR! Would you allow me to nail you to a cross so we can properly worship you, like they do that other guy?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 AM

563 posts, read 1,270,439 times
He'd probably be happier with some tithe-ing, but CA's lawmakers already set up shop on that racket...

Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 AM

Interesting jump, no? From factual history demonstrating that over 600 municipal banckruptcies have happened over the past 75 years all across the country -- to -- pictures of cities in flames and riot police and dire predictions that California will collapse in exhaustion.

As I keep sayin: glad some people who frequent this forum weren't in my unit in the war ... find some backbone or: Just. Go. Away.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Interesting jump, no? From factual history demonstrating that over 600 municipal banckruptcies have happened over the past 75 years all across the country -- to -- pictures of cities in flames and riot police and dire predictions that California will collapse in exhaustion.

As I keep sayin: glad some people who frequent this forum weren't in my unit in the war ... find some backbone or: Just. Go. Away.
Brought my backbone back with me, thank you. Took it with me when I left the state. This is one area in which California is not unique. I know that will upset some but amazingly enough, there are other parts of the country that are also in dire straights and many lack California's potential in terms of a probable ability to rise from the ashes.

Now if your Legislature would just grab a collective brain and get out of the way!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-11-2012 at 07:44 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Brought my backbone back with me, thank you. Took it with me when I left the state. This is one area in which California is not unique. I know that will upset some but amazingly enough, there are other parts of the country that are also in dire straights and many lack California's potential in terms of a probably ability to rise from the ashes.

Now if your Legislature would just grab a collective brain and get out of the way!
^^ +1
My point exactly.

If you have a desire to try some other lifestyle for any number of positive reasons: go for it.
If you are running from society's challenges because you can't handle life: Just. Go. Away.
No need to chant about it.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:50 AM

But he told us!!!! And we didn't listen!!!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:07 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
I see this as just a case of if you dish it out, you have to be able to take it too. You guys know darned well that if a couple of moderate-sized cities in TX declared bankruptcy over a couple week period this forum would be erupting with joy, proclaiming the demise of the conservative model of governance.....that they knew this was going to happen. So naturally all those looking to hammer CA are going to jump on this.

So while I agree with nullgeo, this is to be expected. Indeed, if Waco and Lubbock were to declare bankruptcy a month from now, everyone would forget everything in this thread and commence firing. Ditto if it happens in FL.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 AM

It happened to three in Alabama and one each in OK and Ark, and I don't recall any celebrations here in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: