Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 PM

8 posts, read 9,651 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning to move to California next year from London,UK.

I am 24 years old female and I have degree in Counselling Psychology. I have been reading this forum for months and doing a lot of research on different cities in California, but I am still not sure which one to choose. I think it's best to tell you a bit more about myself and what I am looking for and maybe you could suggest some areas for me.

I am looking for city with good night life and plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities (I like to surf, snowboard, swim, hike etc). I know that coastal cities are expensive I don't mind living a bit further away from coast as long as I will be still able to drive to the beach during weekends (let's say within 1 and half hour drive max.).

I would prefer to live in young, active neighborhood, obviously fairly safe. I love hot weather, ideal for me is anything like 80-85F.

Right now I live in neighborhood where I have little coffee shops, bars and restaurants around me and I love that, I would like to find similar area.
My budget would be around 1000-1500 per month, I don't care if it's tiny studio, one bedroom flat even if I had to share apartment that would be fine as long as I would find place where I would enjoy living (at least till I am in my 20s that's my preference).

If you think you know the place that tick most of my preferences please let me know!

Thank you

xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 09:44 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,213,099 times
I'd take a look at Pasadena and Glendale, just to the north side of Los Angeles.

Both would put you within 40-45 minutes of the beach, even in heavy traffic it shouldn't take much more than an hour because you have so many alternative routes to take to the beach.

http://www.oldpasadena.org/

Old 07-28-2012, 10:46 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I'd take a look at Pasadena and Glendale, just to the north side of Los Angeles.

Both would put you within 40-45 minutes of the beach, even in heavy traffic it shouldn't take much more than an hour because you have so many alternative routes to take to the beach.

Old Pasadena: The Real Downtown
Agreed with the above.

I would also consider the following:

Santa Clarita/Valencia/Newhall area
Ojai
Ventura
Oxnard
Santa Ynez Valley
Burbank
Alhambra
South Pasadena
Fullerton
Yorba Linda
Tustin
Orange
Seal Beach
Poway
Encinitas
Temecula/Murrieta/Wildomar area

I'm sure there are plenty of areas I've forgotten to list.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:36 PM

Thank you both for suggestions, I will research those areas more!

X

Old 07-29-2012, 05:06 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,925,789 times
san diego!!

Old 07-29-2012, 05:22 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
All of my previously mentioned communities are in Southern California.

In the Northern California metropolis (San Francisco Bay Area), many areas have close ocean access and often cool mornings but very pleasant days (highs of 70 to 85). Some communities:

Redwood City
San Mateo
Belmont
San Carlos
Menlo Park
Palo Alto
Woodside
Los Gatos
Los Altos
Sunnyvale
Santa Clara
San Jose
Santa Cruz
Milpitas
Santa Rosa
Rohnert Park

Old 07-29-2012, 06:27 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,284 times
Are you going to have a car and are you prepared to drive everywhere? If not, your range of choices is a lot narrower.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
All of my previously mentioned communities are in Southern California.

In the Northern California metropolis (San Francisco Bay Area), many areas have close ocean access and often cool mornings but very pleasant days (highs of 70 to 85). Some communities:

Redwood City
San Mateo
Belmont
San Carlos
Menlo Park
Palo Alto
Woodside
Los Gatos
Los Altos
Sunnyvale
Santa Clara
San Jose
Santa Cruz
Milpitas
Santa Rosa
Rohnert Park

Thank you so much! That's really helpful, now I just need to do a lot of research on these areas
X

Old 07-30-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
Are you going to have a car and are you prepared to drive everywhere? If not, your range of choices is a lot narrower.
Yes I am going to have a car, I know it would be difficult to live there without car. Also, I like to travel around when I am free.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
san diego!!

San Diego is high on my list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California