Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Really, now, do you think anyone would buy a house based on some post I made on some internet forum, that they would tell their loan broker, "we can do this, some guy on an internet forum said we could." Really?

As Wayne Gretsky said, Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right.

Is this endemic among Americans today, that they will spend more time and energy on why something cannot be done, than they will spend on doing something?

I find that sad.

The psychologist Jean Piaget once said 80% of Americans do not move past the concrete operations stage. I think he was right.
Isn't that the truth?! (I could go off on an entire tangent on that one, but I won't. lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 AM

667 posts, read 516,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Really, now, do you think anyone would buy a house based , that they would tell their loan broker, "we can do this, some guy on an internet forum said we couon some post I made on some internet forumld." Really?

As Wayne Gretsky said, Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right.

Is this endemic among Americans today, that they will spend more time and energy on why something cannot be done, than they will spend on doing something?

I find that sad.

The psychologist Jean Piaget once said 80% of Americans do not move past the concrete operations stage. I think he was right.
You know, I don't think I ever said that someone would buy a house based on some post made on some internet forum.

What is sad is that you find yourself unable to back up your comments and you try to blame others.

That is the sad reality in America today; a lack of self accountability.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:48 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
You know, I don't think I ever said that someone would buy a house based on some post made on some internet forum.

What is sad is that you find yourself unable to back up your comments and you try to blame others.

That is the sad reality in America today; a lack of self accountability.
Really? I didn't get that .high was unable to "back up his comments" at all ...
what I got was he made an appropriately ballpark generalization example of how something could be accomplished. He made it highly simplified so that even the most obtuse adult should have been able to understand. In that simplification he eliminated T&I (for simplicity) and used the full purchase price as compensation -- rather than write out: less down payment -- plus T&I ... etc. Pretty obvious that the numbers ballpark out for the purposes of simplistic -- and productive -- conversation.

And then I got the predictable negativisms to follow by people with nothing better to do than find fault where none exists.
And, of course, the predictable personal judgements and demeanments to wrap things up.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM

667 posts, read 516,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
what I got was he made an appropriately ballpark generalization example of how something could be accomplished. He made it highly simplified so that even the most obtuse adult should have been able to understand. In that simplification he eliminated T&I (for simplicity) and used the full purchase price as compensation -- rather than write out: less down payment -- plus T&I ... etc. Pretty obvious that the numbers ballpark out for the purposes of simplistic -- and productive -- conversation.

And then I got the predictable negativisms to follow by people with nothing better to do than find fault where none exists.
And, of course, the predictable personal judgements and demeanments to wrap things up.
I am sorry that you didn't "get it". The ballpark theory is one reason we have record foreclosures.

All that followed in your post is exactly what you are complaining about. Such negativity.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,316 times
Quote:

i thought he was saying put nothing down AND finance T&I. but he still presumes two $60k incomes. no, not everybody marries or has a partner, or stays married, or marries necessarily at the same educational level. yes, you can call that negative but i call it reality. factor in even one job loss, divorce or death of a spouse and you're screwed. in the old days one moderate or even low income could buy a house. sure, there are cheaper houses out there. but those areas also have lower incomes.

Last edited by 5thgenSF; 08-15-2012 at 11:27 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Isn't that the truth?! (I could go off on an entire tangent on that one, but I won't. lol)

I had to resist too...

--------------------

Old 08-15-2012, 11:33 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i thought he was saying put nothing down AND finance T&I. but he still presumes two $60k incomes. no, not everybody marries or has a partner, or stays married, or marries necessarily at the same educational level. yes, you can call that negative but i call it reality. factor in even one job loss, divorce or death of a spouse and you're screwed. in the old days one moderate or even low income could be a house. sure, there are cheaper houses out there. but those areas also have lower incomes.
Another possibility for a tangent....
I do not disagree, it is no cake walk, especially in desirable areas of the country or even state for that matter... One could go to North Dakota get a job and buy a house.. But no, buying a house in highly desirable areas is not reality for most.... Still can buy a house, just not in the area one may want..

This I do not believe has changed since the "old days". Some areas are just plain out of reach for certain income brackets. Always been that way.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:50 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Another possibility for a tangent....
I do not disagree, it is no cake walk, especially in desirable areas of the country or even state for that matter... One could go to North Dakota get a job and buy a house.. But no, buying a house in highly desirable areas is not reality for most.... Still can buy a house, just not in the area one may want..

This I do not believe has changed since the "old days". Some areas are just plain out of reach for certain income brackets. Always been that way.
i almost agree. i DID buy a house in what i consider an undesirable area. i am working. i still can no longer afford the house.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:22 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Silly user ... of course I know you don't care ... and of course: I'm not telling you, in particular ... I am making open comments to anyone reading this thread ... merely using your comments as reference for general conversation.
Alright, so in the future I'll just skip it....

Not going to bother commenting about the military, but I get it, you have to try to rationalize and justify your passed actions. I always find your commentary ironic though....

Old 08-15-2012, 12:22 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
I am sorry that you didn't "get it". The ballpark theory is one reason we have record foreclosures.

All that followed in your post is exactly what you are complaining about. Such negativity.
"Ballpark theory" doesn't have a damn thing to do with record foreclosures.

The majority of people losing their homes are people who have lost their income source ... due to the overall crash of the economy -- triggered by the bursting of of home values that were falsely inflated by nefarious intent to defraud -- which fraud was carried out with considerable deliberation by a relatively small sub-culture of financial geniuses and their witless political tools.

As for "negativity"? Read your own damn posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California