Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:16 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Yes. You already expressed that you don't care what a CEO is paid as long as [s/he] gets you what you want. And what you want is the money. That is an expression of disregard for all other considerations, including the environment and who gets rich. This conversation is about local vs mega-corporation benefit. And you don't care who benefits as long as it feeds your bottom line.

Concentration of wealth is eliminating the middle-class. You feed that by investing in the power sources. The end result is neo-feudalism. That is the era we are entering. The years starting with Ronnie Reagan have seen the greatest power and wealth grab in the history of the world. It's a done deal now. So, in a sense, you are right: it doesn't matter anymore.
Ok, I give up. I'll stop investing for retirement, and when I get old, I'll just let the government supply all my needs. Will that make you happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
I 100% agree with here. Local business needs to work harder than my internet to get my business. With the exception of farmers markets....local produce sellers and eateries. I am not going to pay over inflated prices and poor customer service to shop 100% localy.
Nor will I!
I do not believe anyone is suggesting all purchases be done locally in today's day and age.. I believe the point here is awareness of the benefit to society when one does buy local.. Because of this awareness, to go out of ones way to give the little guy a chance to compete if the earned it of course..

Old 09-03-2012, 05:54 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
I hate the big box home improvement stores because of their sheer size so shop at a local hardware store because it's compact and help is readily available. I also prefer smaller supermarkets as I like to get in and get out quickly. I will pay extra for that but it's not for reasons of altruism.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:57 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I have no particular sense of any community support in my community to begin with. There's been no cohesion here for some years now, and I don't get much sense that many care. The only thing the local government wanted was a new basketball arena--infinitely more important than homeless shelters, or poverty programs. When that kept falling through, things seem to fade.

I'm not sure how investing for my retirement turned into not caring about the environment, so I can't comment on that.

But the concentration of wealth comment is disturbing. So, I invest in a company that manufactures food, or personal products, or a utility company--how exactly does that create concentration of wealth?

Why do you think that is? Could it be one does not know their neighbors anymore? Could it be that the barber does not tell you about the baker..

Think about this... When was this lost? What is different form then to now?...

If you do not try or care, why should anyone else?

Grass roots means you and me..

I am just asking that you look at your investments from more than just the perspective of profit....
At least you are not trading currency on Forex...

Yes, I am currently in Wisconsin... Yes, I deeply care about a couple of California counties mindset on local... It is absolutely key criteria for a place I will consider living... IMO the people are more aware and richer in character and soul, and it means a place is good for me too do what I do..

---------------------------
Interesting, this loss of a sense of community/buy local thing.... Is yet again another disease of Suburban mindset America. Rural small town America, has more in common with tight knit urban neighborhoods when it comes to a sense of ownership a sense of community participation, a sense of team effort..

Old 09-03-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Yes, I am currently in Wisconsin... Yes, I deeply care about a couple of California counties mindset on local... It is absolutely key criteria for a place I will consider living... IMO the people are more aware and richer in character and soul, and it means a place is good for me too do what I do..

---------------------------
Interesting, this loss of a sense of community/buy local thing.... Is yet again another disease of Suburban mindset America. Rural small town America, has more in common with tight knit urban neighborhoods when it comes to a sense of ownership a sense of community participation, a sense of team effort..
I'm sure the locals will appreciate you helping them do things more like where you come from.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'm sure the locals will appreciate you helping them do things more like where you come from.
Rural places tend to be similar, what is found in rural Wisconsin, community, is also found in rural California, most Californians live in urban areas I imagine in the modern car centered urban suburban, community is harder to have.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Rural places tend to be similar, what is found in rural Wisconsin, community, is also found in rural California, most Californians live in urban areas I imagine in the modern car centered urban suburban, community is harder to have.
Ironically what you're advocating often works better in denser urban environments where one can walk or bike to eat, dine, live and work. Smaller mom and pops can often thrive in such places, at odds with the suburban big box store car culture. Most rural residents still have to drive to do those things so tend to be more car oriented than urbanites.

When I go to rural areas I still see plenty of chains. They usually have the words "Dollar" or "Southern States" in their names.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 09-03-2012 at 08:31 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 08:24 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times
It's just my perspective, but those who are more interested in their investments and miserly penny pinching seem to have a quality of life issue and are disconnected from their community. They may try turning off their computers and getting out a little more. Meeting their neighbors and local merchants could vastly improve their lives. Smiling and genuinely caring about a community and its merchants does have a positive impact on a person's quality of life.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Ironically what you're advocating often works better in denser urban environments where one can walk or bike to eat, dine, live and work. Smaller mom and pops can often thrive in such places, at odds with the suburban big box store car culture. Most rural residents still have to drive to do those things so tend to be more car oriented than urbanites.

When I go to rural areas I still see plenty of chains. They usually have the words "Dollar" or "Southern States" in their names.
True, the denser urban areas are little villages scattered throughout the urban area, which is why is specifically stated car centered. Dollar stores exist, I personally have not seen anythng with "Southern States" in the name

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
It's just my perspective, but those who are more interested in their investments and miserly penny pinching seem to have a quality of life issue and are disconnected from their community. They may try turning off their computers and getting out a little more. Meeting their neighbors and local merchants could vastly improve their lives. Smiling and genuinely caring about a community and its merchants does have a positive impact on a person's quality of life.
I think you are exactly right. Thomas Jefferson thought the country should be made up of small farmers, I think he was right. Small farmers are part of making a healthy community, which is why rural areas often have healthy communities. For example, as I have stated, our town is full of public flower plantings, all of those are donated by area growers, to make the town, beautiful.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I personally have not seen anythng with "Southern States" in the name.
Those would be in my neck of the woods. They're where you generally get your farm supplies here in VA. I'm sure you've got something comparable near you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California