Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:20 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,035,419 times

Advertisements

On the heels of this thread and Jenny McCarthy, among other celebrities, leaving LA so they can "raise their children in a place where people have souls" begs the question, with the ever-changing landscape of our society, where in coastal CA is a good place to raise children now?

This also comes to mind because a friend recently moved his family to Santa Barbara, and though I've never been there, it looks and sounds (based on my convos with him) like heaven on earth for a young family.

What are your thoughts? If you didn't want your children consumed by materialism or the "soulless" mentality of some parts of this country, where in coastal CA would you raise your children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,978,171 times
SunnyTXsmile,

What size of community do you have in mind?

I would hope to think the areas around San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay would be locations to consider.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 PM

58 posts, read 190,345 times
I would raise them on the central coast. It is heaven on Earth. Santa Barbara is gorgeous too, but I feel the city's culture is more materialistic than a bit further up the coast. I am not a fan of L.A. and although I could have a great job there, I just don't want to live there.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,226,530 times

Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I think it's fine to raise kids just about anywhere. The problem with celebrities who have kids is they have spent most of their time associating with people who perhaps aren't "kid friendly" and then think it's easier to up and move and start over than deal with the life they made for themselves. And they can afford to do that can't they? Lot's of people raise families in CA, on the coast, where ever you can think of. People with money can afford several lives, the one in the city, the farm with horses and sheep for the kids, whatever they want. The rest of us make our lives work where we happen to be and usually it works out great.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:13 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,541,686 times
Perhaps Jenny McCarthy (you know, the chick that got famous because of her boobs) surrounded herself with the wrong kind of people?

Just a thought....

Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
On the heels of this thread and Jenny McCarthy, among other celebrities, leaving LA so they can "raise their children in a place where people have souls" begs the question, with the ever-changing landscape of our society, where in coastal CA is a good place to raise children now?

This also comes to mind because a friend recently moved his family to Santa Barbara, and though I've never been there, it looks and sounds (based on my convos with him) like heaven on earth for a young family.

What are your thoughts? If you didn't want your children consumed by materialism or the "soulless" mentality of some parts of this country, where in coastal CA would you raise your children?
Where? In an intact family with a Mother and Father who care about them and imbue them with decent standards of behavior, while guiding their interests in ways that will benefit others not just themselves.

Beyond that, where ever you want to live and can afford to live.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:07 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Oh noes! Celebrities (is Jenny one of those?) are leaving the area to raise their kids because celebrity culture is barren and soulless! Whoda thunk?

Old 09-05-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
SunnyTXsmile,

What size of community do you have in mind?

I would hope to think the areas around San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay would be locations to consider.
At least a few hundred thousand. Google says Santa Barbara is about 400k. I can't imagine going much smaller than that.

Ah, two areas I've also never been to or considered. Thanks! CA is obviously so large, and I still have so much more to discover outside of the places I've lived in San Diego and Orange County.

Thank you!!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden gal View Post
I would raise them on the central coast. It is heaven on Earth. Santa Barbara is gorgeous too, but I feel the city's culture is more materialistic than a bit further up the coast. I am not a fan of L.A. and although I could have a great job there, I just don't want to live there.
Oh no, Santa Barbara is materialistic, too? Just my luck. lol Seems most of the picturesque places are. :\

I'm not a fan of LA either. Granted, I've never lived there, but I can't imagine ever wanting to raise a child there.

This topic is mainly on my mind because while I know which part of CA I'm moving to now (I'm going back to what I know, at least at first, while I explore other parts of CA I've never been to), I want to keep my eye on where I might be going in a year or two when I'm ready to raise some babies.

Thank you for the tip. I'm surely going to make some trips there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California