Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,081 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to Slo next month with my husband. He has a job there already. Yet, I am looking for a drafting position and haven’t scene any posted anywhere. I am an architecture student at an accredited university and am a year away from completion. I am going to be transferring to Calpoly to finish. However, I need to work until I gain residency status. Is it possible to send my resume and portfolio to firms in the area or is it best to wait and see if any positions are posted? Furthermore, if the firms here do post for drafting positions, where is the best place to find them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:15 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architecturalgirl View Post
Hi, I am moving to Slo next month with my husband. He has a job there already. Yet, I am looking for a drafting position and haven’t scene any posted anywhere. I am an architecture student at an accredited university and am a year away from completion. I am going to be transferring to Calpoly to finish. However, I need to work until I gain residency status. Is it possible to send my resume and portfolio to firms in the area or is it best to wait and see if any positions are posted? Furthermore, if the firms here do post for drafting positions, where is the best place to find them?
You havent "scene" any posted anywhere? I hope your resume has better spelling because the competition could be rough. Good luck though.SLO is paradise!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:05 PM

168 posts, read 554,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architecturalgirl View Post
Have you been accepted into poly yet? As a alum from CAED (College of Architecture) the employment picture is really bleak simply because the demand for jobs simply outstrips the supply in this area. Simply put, there are too many students in the area to compete for what little jobs there are. To complicate things, CAED requires an internship to graduate (if you haven't had one yet, good luck). What type of drafting can you do? Have you tired craigslist for odd jobs in drafting? Do you have CAD experience? Can you draft site plans from scratch to advertise your skills for smaller projects that require permits (hooking up with a local engineer or others)?

You can try sending out a resume to some of the larger arch firms out there, but in reality you really need to network down here to really get you going. Even my former employer is advertising a position, however without a degree or knock out portfolio the chances of you getting an interview are slim to none. In this town it is all about who you know. Try networking with SLOGreen Build or other organizations to see what connections you can make.

The best place to find local firms is this cool site call google and enter in architecture firms+san luis obispo. All the large players are there. duh

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California