Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:46 PM

21,939 posts, read 25,307,921 times

Advertisements

Torrance refinery is (was?) shut down, Richmond refinery is still only partially operational. The pipeline that delivers crude to all three Bay Area refineries is closed, I haven't heard anything about when it would open again. Supply and demand is supply and demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,069,742 times
Ill just drive as little as possible.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:50 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,077 times
Quit complaining. This is the price you pay for living in Calif. Calif gasoline is exclusive to the state; virtually all of the gas here is also refined here because outside refineries don't produce the special blend of gas that is required by state law. Because there's little excess capacity in state refineries, if a couple of refineries have problems (like now), it causes supply to dwindle. Want more stable gas prices? Then pressure the lame state government to allow more refineries to be built.

From August 2012 : Regional Gasoline Price Differences - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy - Energy Information Administration --

Why Are California Gasoline Prices More Variable Than Others?

California prices are higher and more variable than prices in other States because there are relatively few supply sources of its unique blend of gasoline outside the State. The State of California’s reformulated gasoline program is more stringent than the Federal government’s. In addition to the higher cost of this cleaner fuel, there is a State sales tax of 2.25% on top of an 18.4 cent-per-gallon Federal excise tax and an 35.30 cent-per-gallon State excise tax.

California Refineries Running Near Full Capacity to Meet Demand

California refineries need to be running near full capacity to meet the State’s gasoline demand. If more than one of its refineries experiences operating problems at the same time, California’s gasoline supply may become very tight and prices can soar. Even when supplies can be obtained from some Gulf Coast and foreign refineries, they can take a relatively long time to arrive due to California’s substantial distance from those sources. The farther away the necessary relief supplies are, the higher and longer the price spike will be.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,713,907 times
And.... drum roll...... What is America's chief export in terms of dollars today? Why, refined fuels, sent to South America and China among others.

The Oil companies are doing fine.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,800,386 times
For your 1970's viewing pleasure. Oh wait 2012.

Dopey me. You all watch the debate between Reagan and Carter last night?

Gas Crunch - YouTube

Old 10-04-2012, 06:41 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,713,907 times
I knew Reagan and.....

Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,330,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
For your 1970's viewing pleasure. Oh wait 2012.

Dopey me. You all watch the debate between Reagan and Carter last night?

Gas Crunch - YouTube
Good times. I also remember the people who got creative and started selling soda and stuff to the people waiting in the lines.

If I remember you could gas up on a specific day based on some of the numbers on your license plate. If you missed your day...oh well.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 PM

256 posts, read 618,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The dems have had over 3 years to address this issue and please do not tell me you do not recall AlGore stating that he felt $5 a gal gas was good for the environment. Obama refuses to drill so when the republicans finally do get another shot at issues, perhaps you can go back to $1.85 a gal, which was the price when Obama took over. But good try.
The President and congress have nothing to do with oil and gas prices. There is a tremendous amount of drilling going on in this country and much of it is exported. I also remember gas being $4.81/gal in 2008 under Bush

U.S. exported more gasoline than imported last year

Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,577,167 times
This is pretty bad, especially because the retail price has a way to go before it catches up to the wholesale price. I paid $4.55/gallon today, but the same grade of gas at the same station was only $4.17 five days ago!

Of course, it figures that this is happening a week before I'm supposed to go to Mammoth for a few days on a much needed vacation.

California Gas Prices Spike 8 Cents A Gallon Overnight

Last edited by SandyCo; 10-04-2012 at 09:41 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,935,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The dems have had over 3 years to address this issue and please do not tell me you do not recall AlGore stating that he felt $5 a gal gas was good for the environment. Obama refuses to drill so when the republicans finally do get another shot at issues, perhaps you can go back to $1.85 a gal, which was the price when Obama took over. But good try.
what a bunch of crap. and those of us that voted for obama don't WANT drilling on the coast, thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California