Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:53 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
So you're under the impression the money will actually reach the classroom? Really????
It will, in the form of pay and pensions for teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 AM

50,264 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
It will, in the form of pay and pensions for teachers.
That's the part I want to know.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:48 AM

26,724 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Didn't the LA Times also support the high speed, slow speed, choo choo to nowhere?
The article isn't an LA Times editorial. George Skelton has been a political writer in Los Angeles, Sacramento bureau chief and White house correspondent. He appears to have a pretty good insight into how state politics are run.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:36 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
I'm truly bothered by the concept that the only two ways to deal with this are cut education days for the kids or raise tuition.

Where's the discussion? Administrator pay at the colleges is outrageous--the Sac Bee database on salaries listed I think 11 administrators making over 1 million a year, with many many making huge salaries. Yet no one questions their pay--just raise tuition--again--and it will all be fixed.

I currently attend a community college, usually 1 class per term, working full time. With the tuition, and an amazing amount of fees tacked on by the colleges (I pay a fee to provide free birth control, among other things) I'm paying $214 per class for 1 class, $340 if I take 2 classes. Where does this all end?

Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
When you build half billion dollar high schools to commemorate dead presidents what do you people expect?

Good Irish rock band by the way.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:55 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,775 times
Prop 30 can go pound sand. Explain to me where all the money went that was already spent and then we'll talk about more money. I for one don't like agenda-driven, egomaniacs holding education hostage if taxes aren't raised. What we need is pension reform, not more taxes, especially tax increases that will further punish to poor and middle class.

Easy no vote from me.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:43 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I'm truly bothered by the concept that the only two ways to deal with this are cut education days for the kids or raise tuition.

Where's the discussion? Administrator pay at the colleges is outrageous--the Sac Bee database on salaries listed I think 11 administrators making over 1 million a year, with many many making huge salaries. Yet no one questions their pay--just raise tuition--again--and it will all be fixed.

I currently attend a community college, usually 1 class per term, working full time. With the tuition, and an amazing amount of fees tacked on by the colleges (I pay a fee to provide free birth control, among other things) I'm paying $214 per class for 1 class, $340 if I take 2 classes. Where does this all end?
So how much of the budget do you think is related to the pay of administrators? I know it makes for a good protest sign, but it doesn't account for the bulk of the budget.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:11 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,139 times
I usually don't push hard for people to vote one way or another, but I hope everyone on this forum votes NO on 30. I'm tired of it always being one more measure or prop or tax to "help the kids". Stop holding the kids hostage for taxpayer money. I'm tired of it, I really hope this fails, even though a lot more money is being put towards Yes on 30 than NO on 30.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:28 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Prop 30 is horrendously bad. 38 seems at least a bit better. I truly wonder if either can pass.

If neither pass, the state will slash k-12 funding unless we see some blood in the streets.

California is basically bankrupt. The question is whether or not we can dodge the bullet long enough for income to come back (my guess, never will happen) or see the abolishment of several state propositions (prop 13, multiple student funding props) which also appears nearly impossible.

Given that scenario, the only real solutions are raising taxes or bankruptcy. Incremental cuts to multiple services isnt't enough to solve anymore.

Simultaneous renegotiation of all state and local pension obligations, raising property tax rates and broadening the tax base would be akin to revolution and would require a massive mind shift from the California electorate. To move from the centrally controlled monolithic state to a more localized funding and governance approach is antithetical to the very liberal approach to government in this state

Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 AM

26,724 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Prop 30 is horrendously bad. 38 seems at least a bit better. I truly wonder if either can pass. If neither pass, the state will slash k-12 funding unless we see some blood in the streets.
38 sounds worse to me. That would tax ALL of us for the next 12 years, although it claims it would send 60% of the $10 billion yield to schools through 2017. Prop 30 taxes only upper incomes and increases state sales tax temporarily (7 years) and, by state law, 40% of what the state takes in has to go to schools. Neither is well written but the alternative is frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California