Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 AM

24 posts, read 54,218 times

Advertisements

So I need some honesty here. I recently interviewed for a position in Santa Maria and did well enough they are asking me to fly out for a face to face. I currently make near 50k here and pay about $750/mo for a 2BD apartment in a suburb of Houston. My electric bills in the summer are around $200/mo, student loan payments of aroundf $250 and I have a car payment of around $400/mo. The place I am interviewing for (I work in the public sector) has a salary of around 65k.

I have no problem downsizing to a one bedroom apartment but I want some place safe. What is a fair price for a one bedroom in northern Santa Barbara County or southern SLO County? Will 65k be a step back financially for me with the cost of living in CA? Any other thoughts, i.e., don't do this or any other ideas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
I cannot specifically address your rent cost concerns, but you will find you have gone to heaven. A $200 a month electric bill is astounding. Our home is a three bedroom and varies between two people and four, our electric bill here on the central coast runs $30 to $60, year round. We seldom run heat, and in fact our furnace is broken and has been for the past year. Haven't needed it.
You won't need AC or much heating here, year round.

As far as rents, my daughter rented a 2 bedroom apartment in Avila Beach for $800 per month, a desirable location. I don't recommend living in Santa Maria, there are better places. Arroyo Grande and Pismo Beach are far better, Nipomo has some nice places. Choosing your apartment carefully is very important. Apartments here are not always populated by the most educated people.

A house or apartment monthly should be no more than 30% of your income, being a bit conservative, 25% of 65k is about $1600. Looking at Craigslist, there are numerous apartments and small homes at that or less.

Now, as I have said before elsewhere. One cannot compare living in Texas to living in California. The variety of landscapes, the variety of things to do, from Disneyland to San Francisco to the Redwoods, the Big Sur Coast, the Sierra, life is good here. We moved to Arroyo Grande from near Lake Tahoe, cold and snowy in the winter. My kids called South San Luis Obispo County "The Shire" the weather is always good, seldom hot, never cold, doesn't rain in the summer, none of that oppressive heat and humidity that in common in summer in the eastern states. Bad stuff happens someplace else, etc. They considered the south boundary of The Shire to be the Santa Maria River, Santa Maria is the other side of that, out side The Shire. In the winter it is common to see snow on the mountains east of Santa Maria, yet you can drive to Avila in 25 minutes and go for a swim.

San Luis Obispo has been ranked as the happiest town in America.

Locally, there is plenty of hiking, mountain biking, fishing, ocean and freshwater, wine tasting, farmers markets, Santa Maria Style Barbecue (incidentally, when you come out, set some time aside for supper at Jocko's in Nipomo).

Now, someone may very well tell you California has dreadful, abominable, high taxes. The total state and local tax difference between Texas and California is 2.7%, a small price for not having to live in Texas.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 AM

168 posts, read 554,436 times
Highnlite as always has good perspective for the South County and SM. I also do not recommended living in SM. I work in the north county of San Luis Obispo, but live south of the Grade. Depending on your Cities politics and the nature of your position (mine is highly political), i recommend not living in the City you work. Specifically, this makes you very "non-partisan" especially if you are in a decision making position. At 65K i would on the safe side, automatically knock off approximately 30% of your gross pay to account for taxes, Calpers, medical, etc. and than go from there to determine your housing costs.

Highly recommend either living in south county such as Pismo Beach, AG, Avila. Great towns, good eats, always activities. You can rent a small house/townhome for about 900 to 1400 on the high side in South County. If your single, want more of a night scene and want to live in a College town, than i suggest San Luis Obispo (about 40 minutes, reverse commute, and one of the nicest drives with ocean views), but prepare to be house poor unless you want roomates, which can be a good thing if your new and by yourself. Utilities are very much to what high says. My electrical bill runs during winter around $60 a month and drop to around $45 a month. Gas runs high in winter to around $70 (old historic home, and wife likes things warms) to as low as $20 a month during summer. Also depending on your car, your insurance rates more than likely will drop substantially. The Central Coast is one of the safest communities in terms of auto accident rates and theft. Hell, I leave my car doors unlocked (no valuables) in my driveway at night.

My wife and I and our 2 kids call San Luis home. We moved here about 2 years ago. Yes we are poor (well to our old, prior to the crash standards, we make about 70K a year combined) and yes it is tight due to our high housing costs, but we wouldn't trade it in the world. Good Luck

Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefromdixie View Post
So I need some honesty here. I recently interviewed for a position in Santa Maria and did well enough they are asking me to fly out for a face to face. I currently make near 50k here and pay about $750/mo for a 2BD apartment in a suburb of Houston. My electric bills in the summer are around $200/mo, student loan payments of aroundf $250 and I have a car payment of around $400/mo. The place I am interviewing for (I work in the public sector) has a salary of around 65k.

I have no problem downsizing to a one bedroom apartment but I want some place safe. What is a fair price for a one bedroom in northern Santa Barbara County or southern SLO County? Will 65k be a step back financially for me with the cost of living in CA? Any other thoughts, i.e., don't do this or any other ideas? Thanks!

What you save in electric you will easily pay in CA state income taxes, CA state disability taxes, yearly car registration taxes.

I live in an area where I don't have to run the AC but maybe 10 days out of the year. But I pay a lot more for the house then what I would be paying in Houston. And all of the above mentioned fees and taxes more than make up for the COL difference between Houston and my city. It costs a lot more to live here.

Don't forget to factor in that you will have to pay around 800$-900$ to register your car in CA when you bring it here. And it must be done within 20 days of moving here. See if your company will give you a relocation package like mine did. They paid to have my car registered from TX to CA.

Also taxes for purchased items are higher here.

Gas costs more here.

You won't get modern amenities in many of the apartments that you choose to live in. They just don't tear down and rebuild here like you see in Houston.

If you want to live pay check to pay check without the ability to save for retirement then make the move and live sparsely.

My car registration is 270$ a year.

My CA state income taxes are over 370$ per pay check. (over 600$ per month)

My CA state disabilty tax (CA SUI/SDI Tax) is around 50$ per pay check

You will live much better on 50K in Houston then 65K in CA.

Here is a good idea what renting prices are in Santa Barbara santa barbara apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

I would do a salary comparison between Houston and the city in CA where you choose to live.

I personally would not move here unless they were paying me at least 85-90K. To live as well as I did in Houston I need to make 118K. Your salary really gets hit by taxes here. You don't pay a state income tax in TX. You don't pay a State Disability tax in TX; you don't have high car registration fees in TX; you don't pay higher prices and taxes for gas and other taxable items. All of this adds up in a hurry.

You will certainly notice this on your paycheck.

I lived in Houston for 43 years and I have lived here for 3 years. My information is derived from my experience and nothing more.

Note: There are many CA posters who despise TX and Texans. They also have incorrect information about TX in general. Keep in mind many of them have never lived in Houston.

Do the math and make an informed decision based on your own research. I wish you the best of luck and will help to answer anything I can since I know how both states operate.

What area of Houston do you live in?

Last edited by TVC15; 10-09-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 12:43 PM

This is basically hogwash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
What you save in electric you will easily pay in CA state income taxes,
CA state disability taxes, yearly car registration taxes.

Total Tax burden difference between Texas and and California, 2.7 %, as I stated.

I live in an area where I don't have to run the AC but maybe 10 days out of the year. But I pay a lot more for the house and all of the above mentioned fees and taxes more than makes up for the COL difference between Houston and my city.

No, as I demonstrated above, housing is higher. Basic economics, high demand high prices, low demand low prices, No one really wants to live in Texas, particularly Houston, once they have lived in the good parts of CA

Don't forget to factor in that you will have to pay around 800$-900$ to register your car in CA when you bring it here. See if your company will give you a relocation package like mine did. They paid to have my car registered from TX to CA.

Maybe, depends on the car and the year, I can say I have never paid more than 500 my current F250 2008 is 365

Also taxes for purchased items are higher here. Total tax burden difference between Texas and CA is 2.7%, Look back and notice the word "Total".

Gas costs more here. Yes, it does, and if that is a problem for you, you chose the wrong career.

You won't get modern amenities in many of the apartments that you choose to live in. They just don't tear down and rebuild here like you see in Houston.

What ever a modern amenity is. Two rules, rent a house not an apartment, if you must rent an apartment rent one that has what you like.

If you want to live pay check to pay check without the ability to save for retirement then make the move and live sparsely. Hogwash, buy 5 acres on the Nipomo Mesa and get a couple horses, don't dream your life, live your dream

My car registration is 270$ a year.

I have 5 vehicles, all need to be registered each year, it doesn't mean I live on beans and weenies.

My CA state taxes are 165.81 per week.

Which means you make more than 80,000 per year Your total tax burden in CA would be $8,486 Same salary in Texas $6320 A whopping $2,166 difference. Consider that a small fee for not having to live in Texas. For the quibblers, yes, these are ball park averages

You will live much better on 50K in Houston then 65K in CA.

Actually, you would not live better on 500K in Houston, aside from being able to buy more plane tickets out at ever possible chance.

Here is a good idea what renting prices are in Santa Barbara santa barbara apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Santa Barbara is nearly 100 miles from Santa Maria.

I would do a salary comparison between Houston and the city in CA where you choose to live.

I personally would not move here unless they were paying me at least 85-90K. I could not live as well here as I did in Houston on less than that. Your salary really gets hit by taxes here. You don't pay a state income tax in TX. You don't pay a State Disability tax in TX; you don't have high car registration fees in TX; you don't pay higher prices and taxes for gas and other taxable items. All of this adds up in a hurry.

Again, a 2.7 percent difference on total tax burden

You will certainly notice this on your paycheck.

I lived in Houston for 43 years and I have lived here for 3 years. My information is derived from my experience and nothing more.

Note: There are many CA posters who despise TX and Texans. They also have incorrect information about TX in general. Keep in mind many of them have never lived in Houston.

Do the math and make an informed decision based on your own research. I wish you the best of luck and will help to answer anything I can since I know how both states operate.

There is nothing in Texas except West Texas, the east is just another eastern state, flat, humid.

Course, if you are an indoors person it matters not where you live.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Thank you for both sides of the coin, it seems like CA is a very divisive issue. Running some quick calcuations from the DMV site, it looks like my registration fee will be around $200 for my 2012 Kia, which was about the same I paid when I brought my car in from out-of-state in Texas. I am trying to get a ballpark range from my potential employer on what my contributions would be for insurance, CalPERS, etc. I am a sponge so please keep giving me information, I want to make sure I make any decision with my eyes wide open.

Texas has a low COL, but my utilities are very high, electric is close to $200 a month in the summer and at least $100 in the winter, which eats into any COL savings. Comparing ads from Vons, Ralphs, etc to Kroger, etc. here in Texas, it appears that groceries are around the same price with maybe a 10% markup on some things, although Texas doesn't have sales tax on groceries. Produce seems a bit cheaper in CA than here in TX, which is nice considering I tend to eat a lot of produce. No doubt about it, gas is more expensive in CA than TX, it was also more expensive in IL where I used to live (although the current prices out near you all are crazy).

I want to find a place eventually, but I will prob. rent for at least a year until I can find an area I like.

And TVC, I am currently on the east side of Houston and very tired of the heat and humidity.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:42 PM

168 posts, read 554,436 times
Quote:
Comparing ads from Vons, Ralphs, etc to Kroger, etc. here in Texas, it appears that groceries are around the same price with maybe a 10% markup on some things, although Texas doesn't have sales tax on groceries.
Groceries are not taxed here unless its candy, soda, beer, wine, etc.

CalPers will be an interesting one to take hold off because the system is scheduled to have increases in employee contributions until 2018, where employees will pay their entire weight in percentage versus what many do today where the employer picks up a percentage. This may not even ring true if Santa Maria is a two tiered system. Sales tax will be different from City to City. Santa Maria just implemented a .25% increase in sales tax to 8.25%. This may increase more if a proposition state-wide is passed. San Luis Obispo an Unincorporated SB County charge a different sales tax which could range of 7.25% to 7.75, depending on municipality). If you have other questions keep or asking, or ask on that other site

Old 10-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Thank you for both sides of the coin, it seems like CA is a very divisive issue. Running some quick calcuations from the DMV site, it looks like my registration fee will be around $200 for my 2012 Kia, which was about the same I paid when I brought my car in from out-of-state in Texas. I am trying to get a ballpark range from my potential employer on what my contributions would be for insurance, CalPERS, etc. I am a sponge so please keep giving me information, I want to make sure I make any decision with my eyes wide open.

Texas has a low COL, but my utilities are very high, electric is close to $200 a month in the summer and at least $100 in the winter, which eats into any COL savings. Comparing ads from Vons, Ralphs, etc to Kroger, etc. here in Texas, it appears that groceries are around the same price with maybe a 10% markup on some things, although Texas doesn't have sales tax on groceries. Produce seems a bit cheaper in CA than here in TX, which is nice considering I tend to eat a lot of produce. No doubt about it, gas is more expensive in CA than TX, it was also more expensive in IL where I used to live (although the current prices out near you all are crazy).

I want to find a place eventually, but I will prob. rent for at least a year until I can find an area I like.

And TVC, I am currently on the east side of Houston and very tired of the heat and humidity.
Your car registration will be that for the renewal...but the initial registration to get it registered from TX to CA will be around 900$ I had a brand new Honda Civic Si that cost 988$ for the initial registration. If you car is not paid off then you must get the title from the lender and give it the the CA DMV before they will register your car here. Thank goodness the company gave me a large relocation packaged which paid for it. If you do come make sure you have all papers associated with the purchase of your car that shows you paid sales tax on the purchase...if you don't the DMV will also charge you sales tax on your car if you can't prove that you already paid it.

I paid 270$ this year to renew the registration on my car. Last year I paid 312$.

It goes down little by little as your car ages. This is why you will see some of the oldest cars being driven around CA.

Ignore the above poster. He is the one who will stop at nothing to make TX bad to anyone. He is not very good when it comes to crunching numbers. He also does not get that your tax burden depends on many factors and is not just a straight across the board number for everyone. His negative post speaks volumes on how much help you will get from him. He is the last person I would listen to as he has no experience or clue about living in TX.

Nothing I wrote was hogwash. I took the numbers right off of my paycheck stubs. If you need further proof I can scan my stubs and email them to you.

I loved living in Houston. I know the heat and humidity can get to you but thankfully it is only bad 6 months out of the year. In CA I have 6 months of cold...(cold by a Texans standard ) where I live and 6 months of great weather. 6 and 6 just like Houston.

You will find great produce here! This is where it is grown and the prices are not that much higher.

The main differences in costs that will certainly affect your income are the following:
CA state income tax
CA state disability tax
Car registration fees
Housing costs
Gas prices

These costs are why CA salaries must be higher for the same professions in other states. Otherwise no one could afford to move here.

I lived close to downtown Houston off of Memorial Drive and Allen Parkway.

If I can think of anything else I will let you know or just send me a direct message and I can help you.

How long have you lived in Houston?

Last edited by TVC15; 10-09-2012 at 02:04 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:

California has a lot of complainers. I find their arguments bogus. Generally the complainers live in the endless suburbs of Southern California. People in the rest of the state are pretty happy campers.

To tell you the truth, if I lived in Southern California, I would not complain, I would shoot myself in the head.

I have a friend, actually a client who moved here from Dallas and was very concerned about the bad things he had heard about in CA. He was particularly concerned about the schools as his elementary age kids had gone to what he called one of the finest schools in the Dallas area. Three months into the school year his kids were in danger of flunking, they were so far behind our local kids.

Generally, as you have likely figured out by now, Happiness depends on you. Living in a happy place helps. Living here is, as my wife and kids will constantly tell anyone who slows down enough to hear, is just plain great.

Right now, the temperature is 75, crystal clear, a mild breeze. Now, that weather statement works without much change, most days of the year, summer and winter. The humidity on the coast is higher than I like, but, it is a long way from Houston's

Old 10-09-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Estrada View Post
Groceries are not taxed here unless its candy, soda, beer, wine, etc.

CalPers will be an interesting one to take hold off because the system is scheduled to have increases in employee contributions until 2018, where employees will pay their entire weight in percentage versus what many do today where the employer picks up a percentage. This may not even ring true if Santa Maria is a two tiered system. Sales tax will be different from City to City. Santa Maria just implemented a .25% increase in sales tax to 8.25%. This may increase more if a proposition state-wide is passed. San Luis Obispo an Unincorporated SB County charge a different sales tax which could range of 7.25% to 7.75, depending on municipality). If you have other questions keep or asking, or ask on that other site

Thanks, I was wondering if that was you... anyway, it is good to have someone familiar with CalPERS, etc. I used to be of the opinion of wanting to live in the City I worked for but as I have taken on more high-profile and controversial duties I don't like that people recognize me in the store.

My sales tax here is 8.5% so at least that won't be a shock. And I like that CA doesn't tax groceries, I hated that in IL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Your car registration will be that for the renewal...but the initial registration to get it registered from TX to CA will be around 900$ I had a brand new Honda Civic Si that cost 988$. Thank goodness the company gave me a large relocation packaged which paid for it. If you do come make sure you have all papers associated with the purchase of your car that shows you paid sales tax on the purchase...if you don't the DMV will also charge you sales tax on your car if you can't prove that you already paid it.

I paid 270$ this year to renew the registration on my car. Last year I paid 312$.

It goes down little by little as your car ages. This is why you will see some of the oldest cars being driven around CA.

Ignore the above poster. He is the one who will stop at nothing to make TX bad to anyone. He is not very good when it comes to crunching numbers. He also does not get that your tax burden depends on many factors and is not just a straight across the board number for everyone. His negative post speaks volumes on how much help you will get from him. He is the last person I would listen to as he has no experience or clue about living in TX.

Nothing I wrote was hogwash. I took the numbers right off of my paycheck stubs. If you need further proof I can scan my stubs and email them to you.

I loved living in Houston. I know the heat and humidity can get to you but thankfully it is only bad 6 months out of the year. In CA I have 6 months of cold...(cold by a Texans standard ) where I live and 6 months of great weather. 6 and 6 just like Houston.

You will find great produce here! And the prices are not that much higher.

The main differences in costs that will certainly affect your income are the following:
CA state income tax
CA state disability tax
Car registration fees
Housing costs
Gas prices

These costs are why CA salaries must be higher for the same professions in other states. Otherwise no one could afford to move here.

I lived close to downtown Houston off of Memorial Drive and Allen Parkway.

If I can think of anything else I will let you know or just send me a direct message and I can help you.

How long have you lived in Houston?

I have been here just over a year. Memorial and Allen, a very nice part of town. Love the parks, trees and bayou. I may be figuring it wrong, but when use the DMV calculator for new residents I come up with around $200, depending on how the DMV would value my car. I agree that salaries are higher in CA for a reason, the COL is higher, but also in my field salaries are higher in CA because my profession seems to be a higher priority in CA than TX. Texas is a nice state to live in, but for my lifestyle, personal and professional beliefs, I am not sure I am a good fit here. I have no doubt I need to make more money in CA than I do here to have a similiar lifestyle, I guess I just need some more concrete numbers from my potential employer before I make any decision.

Is $1,000 to $1,200 a reasonable budget for a 1 bedroom in SM or southern SLO county?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California