Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 19,867 times

Advertisements

I have 2 kids ages 4 and 2. We live in Portland but my son has really bad asthma here. I have a friend who has asthma just as bad and spends the winter in Indio so he doesn't have asthma there. We recently went down there while my son was sick to see if the desert would do anything for his asthma and it did. I'm a disabled veteran living on $1800 a month. I'm looking at moving to rosamond or Palm Springs area which is safer? I found a mobile home for sale in Rosamond mobile home park I was looking at but don't know how bad crime is as I can't seem to find a crime map for Rosamomd specifically. I will need to be within 40 miles of a community college so I can go to school as well. It's rosamond a nice area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 12:31 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I like Rosamond.

The only thing it has in common with Palm Springs is that it is also in a desert. Beyond that, you can't adequately compare the two. Crime is surely below average in Rosamond, the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs area) has its places to avoid.

Rosamond is commutable to Antelope Valley College.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:05 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Rosamond is a bedroom community. Half the people work on Edwards Air Force base and the rest commute to jobs in Lancaster and Palmdale. It is just across the border from Los Angeles County into Kern County, (less taxes). It's safe enough. Nothing major. Not much shopping, so you'll probably head down to Lancaster for anything more than grocery shopping.

I've ridden there enough, (on rides from Palmdale to Backus Road and back - giving me a metric century). I've never felt in any danger or felt unsafe at any time on those rides. AVC, where I teach part time, is about a eleven miles away. Figure twenty minutes.

There is a lady in our vanpool who has raised her children in Rosemond. Her and her husband seem to be happy enough with living there.

On the difference between Palm Springs and Rosemond. P.S. is a whole lot bigger, population wise. The whole northern Coachella Valley is one big city with little open space between the cities. Rosemond is out there all by itself. Ten miles back to Lancaster, another ten miles further on to Mojave, an even smaller city. And, maybe ten or a few more miles in another direction to Tehachapi. Rosemond is pretty isolated. Climatewise, Palm Springs area is going to be hotter than Rosemond in the dead of the summer, but Rosemond will be colder than Palm Springs in the winter. That's the difference between what is called the "high desert" and the "low desert". The Coachella Valley is right about sea level and the Antelope Valley is around 2,500 feet elevation. The high desert is not as hot, but it sure gets cold here. Snows every few years, but usually doesn't last much past noontime. Deficient precipitation in both areas.

p.s. On asthma . . . I don't have asthma, but there have been a few days each year when I've been sneezing a lot. Just a day or two a year. There's enough growing up here to put a bunch of pollen in the atmosphere at the right conditions.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:11 PM

260 posts, read 656,566 times
Hi Pdxguy, I'm the PNW native that commented on your other thread on Mojave. I know about the allergy issue, I have allergies up in western Oregon, but unless the wind is blowing, I don't have any issues down here, and even when the wind is blowing, my allergies are very minimal.

I was not impressed with Palm Springs and I believe crime rates are much higher there.

Rosamond would be the place I would recommend if you absolutely need to be no more than 40 minutes away from a community college in the Antelope Valley area.

If you don't mind driving a bit farther, about an hour give or take, to the community college, then Tehachapi would be the place I recommend.

If all you require is to be in a safe community near a community college in this environment I will also suggest taking a look at Ridgecrest/Inyokern area about an hour north of Mojave (Ridgecrest would be the more urban/suburban area and Inyokern would be the more rural atmosphere). Ridgecrest has a community college and for a safe community in this type of climate/environment, you might want to check it out, I like that area better than Rosamond.

Also, Lake Isabella has a community college in an environment very similar to Tehachapi without the wind issues (though you may need to drive to Bakersfield or Ridgecrest for big box Items, both are about an hour drive in either direction), but unlike Tehachapi you get a lake and river The surrounding towns are quite nice with reasonable cost of living (Onyx, Weldon, Kernville, would be the towns I'm speaking of). I have never had any allergy issues out there at all since the wind is far, far more delightful out there, it swirls and dances rather than blowing like all of Hades broke loose. You might want to check that area out

Last edited by YellowHorse; 03-06-2015 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: to be more specific

Old 03-06-2015, 01:48 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowHorse View Post
If all you require is to be in a safe community near a community college in this environment I will also suggest taking a look at Ridgecrest/Inyokern area about an hour north of Mojave (Ridgecrest would be the more urban/suburban area and Inyokern would be the more rural atmosphere). Ridgecrest has a community college and for a safe community in this type of climate/environment, you might want to check it out, I like that area better than Rosamond.
I'm a former Cerro Coso dropout, I'd totally recommend it.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:16 AM

116 posts, read 377,624 times
Default Rosamond definitely over Palm Springs

Rosamond is in the High Desert, which is far more tolerable than the low desert. The High Desert is roughly 15-20 degrees cooler in summer and winter. The air in the Antelope Valley is much cleaner due to the wind that comes over the mountains from the coast. Rosamond feels isolated, but if you have access to the base, then you are in great shape. Lancaster/Palmdale are not far. Regardless of what people say, Antelope Valley College is a great CC and is beautiful. The scenery is much prettier in the AV. The Spring poppies, the mountains.

If it were my choice, and I had kids, Rosamond would be the place to be. Also, if you are a church-goer, the antelope valley has many churches. They say Lancaster is the most churched city in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California