Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:24 PM

93 posts, read 269,833 times

Advertisements

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 02:44 PM

158 posts, read 604,806 times
Crappy. And this is from someone who lives in Palmdale/Lancaster...haha

Old 02-16-2009, 03:41 PM

What's so bad about it ? (I'm thinking about buying some acreage).

Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
I don't understand why anybody would want to live in Rosamond unless they work on the military base. It's miles from shopping and will be that way for many years to come, and the weather will never be fixed.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:38 PM

637 posts, read 3,237,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbaak View Post
Crappy. And this is from someone who lives in Palmdale/Lancaster...haha

Lol; this pretty much says it all...

Old 02-17-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy upwood View Post
What's so bad about it ? (I'm thinking about buying some acreage).
It's just a little podunk town with no shopping, no restaraunts, no nothing. The view when you get off the freeway tells it all- a bunch of ramshackle, graffiti-like "billboards" advertising tattoos and tire stores.

Also, there's some sort of nuclear waste dump out there which at one point in the past was causing cancer in kids.

I wouldn't buy anything out there. It's never amounted to much in the 20 years I've lived in the Antelope Valley, and I don't see it doing much in the future.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Rosamond is a bedroom community for Edwards Air Force Base. There's nothing there but "bedrooms" (houses). You have to drive into Lancaster for shopping. Lancaster is the far end of the boonies for Los Angeles.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the answers. Some more questions :

- What's the climate like - esp in terms of sunshine ?
- Are law-abiding citizens (i.e. non drug-dealing non gang members) and their property safe ?
- Have they sorted out the cancer problem ? (a 2002 EPA document seemed to imply that they had)
- Is it possible to have a hobby farm in Rosamond and raise cattle and horses ?
- Is the commute to LA do-able ?
- Is there a Wall-Mart and/or Costco in Lancaster / Palmdale
- What is the dating scene like for a straight male in nearby Lancaster / Palmdale ?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy upwood View Post
Thanks for the answers. Some more questions :

- What's the climate like - esp in terms of sunshine ?
- Are law-abiding citizens (i.e. non drug-dealing non gang members) and their property safe ?
- Have they sorted out the cancer problem ? (a 2002 EPA document seemed to imply that they had)
- Is it possible to have a hobby farm in Rosamond and raise cattle and horses ?
- Is the commute to LA do-able ?
- Is there a Wall-Mart and/or Costco in Lancaster / Palmdale
- What is the dating scene like for a straight male in nearby Lancaster / Palmdale ?
I can answer a few of those:
-The weather would be essentially the same as Palmdale/Lancaster, which is to say, very hot in the summer and fairly cold in the winter. Lots of windy days. Beautiful summer nights. I believe you can search for the city's profile here on city-data and get weather statistics.

-The commute to LA would involve 20 minutes of very little traffic to Lancaster, and then from there it would start to get heavier and at times downright painful. Depending on where in LA you're going, it can take 90 minutes - 2 hours or more during heavy traffic from Lancaster. I try my best never to drive down there during rush hour, so I may be estimating low.

-There are multiple Wal-Marts, Super Wal-Marts, Targets, Super Targets, and a Costco and Sam's Club in Lancaster/Palmdale. Palmdale also has a mall and a variety of restaraunts in "restaraunt row."

-We don't drink, so I don't know about bars, etc. for nightlife. If you're more into meeting girls at church, there are several large ones and of course a lot of smaller ones around.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:55 PM

One last question - are there any cultural centres (theatres, orchestras, museums, libraries) nearby?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles