Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:20 PM

7 posts, read 8,320 times

Advertisements

I'm a secondary teacher looking to relocate to California with my two toddlers. I'm in need of some advice on affordable locations. Here's some information to help out:

Salary: roughly $40,000

Housing: looking to rent a two or possibly three bedroom.

Community: A beach community would be nice, but probably isn't realistic with my income. I'm okay with driving to the beach if it's at most about 45 mins away with normal traffic flow. If I can't have the beach then maybe a trade off with having a view of the mountains? I like being outdoors; hiking, biking, etc.

Safety: As mentioned I'm moving with children so a fairly safe neighborhood is preferred. I'd like to be able to walk at night without feeling like I'm going to get mugged and it'd be nice to be able to lock up my bike and not have it stolen.

Weather: I can't handle severe heat year round so maybe not too far south. That being said I also despise extreme cold so northern Cali can keep its snow. I don't mind snow, it can LIGHTLY snow in any area suggested as long as the average temperature stays above 25°. I'm moving from the Midwest where snow is a given -every winter, for around 5-6 months out of the year with temperatures constantly dropping below freezing. Brrr.

I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention something.... I'm really partial to Cali, but if someone has another affordable safe beach community they want to recommend that's out of state then I'll entertain the idea. I really really just want to get to the ocean and away from these freezing winters.

Ah one more thing. I'd like the beach to have decent waves to surf, but also chill enough for the kiddos. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
The Santa Cruz area would come closest to what you are looking for but it's expensive. Take a look for yourself, I did a Craigslist search for a 2 bdrm house in all the areas that are somewhat close to Santa Cruz. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/s...e=6&bedrooms=2

Old 03-04-2015, 09:42 PM

8,216 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Hi,

Have you checked similar school teaching positions in California? I'm not sure of your specialization, years of experience, secondary languages or other skills. But salaries could be higher depending on where you find work. I'm not in teaching, but I have friends and family who are. With more years of seniority and areas of expertise your pay can increase significantly. I'm not sure of the job hiring situation. I think this also varies greatly by location and associated local need.

Job opportunities and pay aside, I would look into places like the Central Coast possibly. Check out places like Arroyo Grande, Orcutt, Atascadero, for example. Then if you go further south, take a look at Ventura and some of the inland areas like Camarillo or Santa Paula.

One more thing to be aware of. There are 'Affordable Housing' options for teachers, firefighters, etc.... in some of the more expensive areas like Monterey and Santa Cruz. I have two friends, one an elementary teacher with four kids, who were able to purchase nice homes for greatly reduced prices through these types of programs. It's called Measure J in Santa Cruz, for example. Here is more info on Monterey.

Derek

Old 03-04-2015, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 8,320 times
Thank you both. I will look into Ventura since it's popped up on another thread for affordable housing. The Measure J program looks like something worth considering. Thanks for mentioning it; Santa Cruz was always my, "I hope to live there someday" place.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0gwai View Post
Thank you both. I will look into Ventura since it's popped up on another thread for affordable housing. The Measure J program looks like something worth considering. Thanks for mentioning it; Santa Cruz was always my, "I hope to live there someday" place.
In your case I would have four or five options along the coast and somewhat inland. Then start canvasing those areas for jobs and see what comes up. Finding the right job will really help you in making a better final decision.

Derek

Old 03-04-2015, 11:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Crescent City, CA or Brookings OR (just across the border) might fit the bill. Surfing isn't as big here as it is around Santa Cruz, but it's done here. This is much smaller up here than Santa Cruz/Monterey area, too. But, if you can't find affordable housing in that area, and you really want to be at the ocean, check it out.

Never snows, rarely even frosts, and never gets really hot. Temps lately have been 40's lows, and 50's highs. Of course, it varies, but check the historical temps.

I'm really partial to Brookings, OR. Has more charm than Crescent City and is a bit warmer, but I wanted to stay in CA. I find the people up here very friendly and down-to-earth. There are also way fewer homeless than anywhere else I've lived in CA.

BTW, many Californians really grit their teeth when people call the state Cali. FWIW. Not to be mean, it's just something to know if you move here. You will stand out as a newbie, and some will get really irritated. I guess it's more accepted in southern CA, but not so in northern CA. We say the whole word. California. Good luck and welcome!

Oh, and there are federal programs, too, that give lower mortgage rates to teachers, and I think teachers get preference for foreclosed houses, too, through HUD & FHA

HUD Good Neighbor Next Door Program

FHA Loan - Teacher Next Door Program

Old 03-05-2015, 01:01 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,514,828 times
A single teacher with two kids is going to have a very hard time keeping it together on the coast. Its beyond expensive. As far as cold weather in NorCal - lol - you would have to go up pretty high in the Sierra to have to deal with snow on a regular basis. I lived in the "Gold Country" of the Sierra Nevada for 15 years @ 2,500 feet elevation. I could count on two hands (sometimes only one) the days we had snow on the ground each winter. Usually it would melt off in a day or two. Average winter day was about 45-55F with frost at night. In other words - top down weather for a Midwesterner (I spent a winter in Des Moines IA - way, way, WAY colder!). Most of the old Gold Rush towns are about 500-1000 feet lower so the chance of snow is even less. Pretty delightful four season climate zone actually. I'm saying this because you will probably have to look inland to find something affordable in this state. Sierra Foothills, towns in the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:27 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
All of the coast is not horribly expensive. For rentals, check out Craigslist.

Landlords, as a rule of thumb want you to make 3 times the rent in gross income. If the salary is $45,000 = $3750/month. 1/3 of that is $1250/month.

I put in 3+ bedrooms with maximum $1250 in the Humboldt County Craigslist (which includes Eureka/Arcata, and up to Crescent City) and got these results:

humboldt apts/housing for rent - craigslist

It's not Santa Cruz, but it can be done. Eureka/Arcata is nice, too, if you're looking for a bigger town with a lot of cultural activities.

And for grins, here is Brookings, OR:

oregon coast apts/housing for rent "brookings" - craigslist

Old 03-05-2015, 01:59 AM

I'm sorry to say it. But I would be completely disgusted by any secondary teacher with experience earning that low a salary, especially here in California. I'm not sure your pay would actually be that low out here. It's really saddens me on a number of levels thinking that teachers are given so little for all that they do for our nation's children. Ok, I'll get off my soap box. I'm goin' to bed. I really hope you can earn more than that if you move here. Good night.

Derek

Old 03-05-2015, 11:38 AM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Not much has changed here in the availability of teaching jobs here since the thread, below.
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...alifornia.html

Summed up fairly well by this poster:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2 View Post
Not to be a negative Nellie, but I used to be a teacher.

Lots and lots of laid-off teachers here in California. Competition is stiff, especially in highly ranked school district that pay well in safe neighborhoods. In the Sierra foothills, there are so many people who want to teach that subs have to have teaching credentials. There were 400 people who applied for one job; many people sub for years to get an "in" with a school, and that's no guarantee.

Heck, it's even hard to find a job in cities in lower-ranked schools where you have to have an English Language Learner cert and in unsafe neighborhoods.

And the communities that have highly ranked schools and safe neighborhoods, teachers usually can't afford to live there. You might have to commute in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California