Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 02:17 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,275,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The funny thing is most I know wouldn't live in their Grandparents home/neighborhood if the house was given to them...
I could live in my grandparents' house in the East Bay hills. It was built over 100 years ago but has a nice view across to San Francisco. Plus it's not far from Memorial Stadium. I'd pay extra property tax just for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I could live in my grandparents' house in the East Bay hills. It was built over 100 years ago but has a nice view across to San Francisco. Plus it's not far from Memorial Stadium. I'd pay extra property tax just for that.
Approach them on selling it to you or your parents and you buy it from them and if you structure the transaction properly... no extra taxes would be due

Welcome back

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-24-2012 at 08:04 PM..

Old 11-24-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Approach them on selling it to you or your parents and you buy it from them and if you structure the transaction properly... no extra taxes would be due

Welcome bank
That ship sailed over 50 years ago when they sold out and moved to Paradise in the 50s.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
That ship sailed over 50 years ago when they sold out and moved to Paradise in the 50s.
My mistake... I thought we were talking real time.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
My mistake... I thought we were talking real time.
Yeah, I definitely don't want to move where my grandparents are now. Talked about cramped.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,472,244 times
Quote:
The funny thing is most I know wouldn't live in their Grandparents home/neighborhood if the house was given to them...
The problem is usually more with the neighborhood than the house itself. I don't want to live in a neighborhood with bars on all the windows and I don't want to send my kid to a school that's 90% ESL.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The problem is usually more with the neighborhood than the house itself. I don't want to live in a neighborhood with bars on all the windows and I don't want to send my kid to a school that's 90% ESL.
In some cases this is true and exactly my point.

People will complain how hard everything is today and how easy it was before...

My first home does have bars on the windows and a security door... it was all I could afford working part time jobs and paying my way through school.

I still own the home and have it rented to a co-worker for $725 a month and never raised the rent...

Yet, to some, I gaming the system or receiving a windfall.

In fact, I took a home set for condemnation, invested my life savings and plenty of sweat to buy and renovate and eliminated one abandoned home from the neighborhood without any programs or redevelopment money or incentives.

There is no way I'm going to feel guilty about my taxes "Only" going up 2% a year under Prop 13 plus the ton of extra voter approved assessments that have been added.

The couple next door both passed last year... they have a Granddaughter that went to UCLA and we were talking... she was getting really discouraged because she wants to buy a house before they go up and doesn't have a down payment or sufficient job history...

I suggested she could buy her Grandparents house and her taxes would be very reasonable... I learned her Mother and Uncle said they were willing to give her the house if she wanted it... she doesn't...

A free house with low Grandparent Taxes in East Oakland can't compare with going into debt for something you can't afford in Pleasanton or Walnut Creek... the two places she wants to live... she got a job in San Francisco and both cities would allow her to commute on BART... well, we have BART stations in East Oakland too and the fare to the city is cheaper because it is closer...

I lost more than a few neighbors because of schools... one moved to Orinda and found the schools were not good enough and now send their kids to HeadRoyce in Oakland.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:15 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,573,632 times
Ultrarunner is correct; former LA Police Chief Bernard Parks makes almost $400K per year between his City Council salary ($180K, highest in the nation) and his pension from the police force ($200K+ per year).

And you wonder why this state is chronically broke and will be for decades in spite of the passage of Prop. 30, another Sacramento con job from Governor Moonbeam & his cronies?

The existence of Prop. 13 has nothing to do with this state's dreadful finances; it's rampant spending and budget-busting pension obligations for which bankruptcy is the only option.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 PM

Well your highest paid employee just got fired due to poor performance.

http://www.dailycal.org/2012/11/20/jeff-tedford-no-lon/

Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Well your highest paid employee just got fired due to poor performance.
With or without penison/medical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California