Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM

82 posts, read 131,695 times

Advertisements

I saw this as soon as I moved here. I work with many charities here. It just gets worse and worse everyday. How very sad. =(

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/county-377734-orange-care.html (Report: Many in Orange County lack basic needs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboywhatamess View Post
I saw this as soon as I moved here. I work with many charities here. It just gets worse and worse everyday. How very sad. =(

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/county-377734-orange-care.html (Report: Many in Orange County lack basic needs)
This comment was interesting from the "readers Comments" section of that link.

"At our food pantry, You Are Special Community Outreach, we have seen the need increase tremendously. Over a 230% increase during this difficult time. Many people are still out of work or are working but can't afford food. Sometimes we might get some homeless but we primarily give to those who are actually working. Single parents, working fathers who make a low wage, those whose families are working but still struggle, grandparents, disabled and the local college students."

This is a problem and raising taxes won't solve it. How do we see that a person working hard has enough to eat? Is it just income or is it also out-go both for them and their employer?

Will OC become so greatly divided that it can't maintain itself. Not by race, but by wealth. The wealthy and the vast majority of poor. That isn't the OC I grew up in.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,001 times
Pretty simple, the wages paid by employers here are not enough for most. You need to make atleast 40k PER ADULT to actually afford to live here.

Just think of all the people working general labor, retail, customer service etc. All those positions only pay 8-14$/hr. You can't afford to live here on that wage. So most are forced to cut out the essentials. Housing costs need to go lower.

There are alot more people living in their car than you would think. They won't tell you, though, since they are ashamed of their situation.

Mind you, these people have full time jobs. How are you suppose to make it pulling in less than 400$ per week?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Pretty simple, the wages paid by employers here are not enough for most. You need to make atleast 40k PER ADULT to actually afford to live here.

Just think of all the people working general labor, retail, customer service etc. All those positions only pay 8-14$/hr. You can't afford to live here on that wage. So most are forced to cut out the essentials. Housing costs need to go lower.

There are alot more people living in their car than you would think. They won't tell you, though, since they are ashamed of their situation.

Mind you, these people have full time jobs. How are you suppose to make it pulling in less than 400$ per week?
Perhaps people should kick their addiction to sunshine and move somewhere where there's a better balance between wages and cost of living. Employers are just paying what the market will bear. Can't really blame them if too many low wage workers choose to live there. It might sound heartless but handing out free food is just depressing wages and subsidizing those employers since it encourages more of the oversize labor pool to stay there.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Theoretically, if the wages don't support the housing either housing will lower (due to the lack of demand for homes nobody can afford) or (after the workers relocate and there is a greater demand for their services) the wages will rise.

Also, only part of OC is affluent. A lot of it isn't. A lot of people who live here are immigrants from south of the border with limited education and English skills.

The article didn't say how these poverty metrics have changed. Ever since I was a little kid in the 1960s and 1970s, I've read these types of articles during the holiday season. Sure we're had a recession but is the situation now in OC any worse than it was during other recessions?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:57 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
I'd be curious to know how many of the impoverished are long time residents or if a lot of them have relocated from elsewhere. There's a mindset that says "If I'm down on my luck I may as well be somewhere warm and sunny". How many posts have you read on here by people looking to move somewhere to start over? Maybe much of your low wage labor force are those start overs.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'd be curious to know how many of the impoverished are long time residents or if a lot of them have relocated from elsewhere. There's a mindset that says "If I'm down on my luck I may as well be somewhere warm and sunny". How many posts have you read on here by people looking to move somewhere to start over? Maybe much of your low wage labor force are those start overs.

Also, how does it compare to LA county or Riverside or half the counties in Mississippi?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:40 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,120 times
[quote=killer2021;27019201]Pretty simple, the wages paid by employers here are not enough for most. You need to make atleast 40k PER ADULT to actually afford to live here.[quote]

Not exactly, at least not for a single person. A number make less and still do it even though their lifestyle may not reflect a full-on "Southern California" experience.

Whenever I hear people talk of a "living wage", one wonders what kind of "living" is in their thoughts.

Is it just food, clean clothes, shelter and basic transportation?

Or is it keeping up with the Joneses and being "too good" to buy at thrift stores and the 99 cents only stores, and things like that?

I am not accusing anyone of anything here; I just wonder.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Perhaps people should kick their addiction to sunshine and move somewhere where there's a better balance between wages and cost of living. Employers are just paying what the market will bear. Can't really blame them if too many low wage workers choose to live there. It might sound heartless but handing out free food is just depressing wages and subsidizing those employers since it encourages more of the oversize labor pool to stay there.
What does sunshine have to do with anything?? There are plenty of parts of the country, with low cost of living and great economy (Texas, etc.) with lots of sunshine.

All one needs to do to cut their costs if their income is modest is just get roommates. Rent out a room, etc. Or you could move to the IE.

Southern California is doable, is jut depends on how much elbow room one wants. As long as you are willing to accept the personal space

And, there are monetary costs associated with living in a cold climate. Utilities, winter coats, etc.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
[quote=mrsltd;27021858][quote=killer2021;27019201]Pretty simple, the wages paid by employers here are not enough for most. You need to make atleast 40k PER ADULT to actually afford to live here.
Quote:

Not exactly, at least not for a single person. A number make less and still do it even though their lifestyle may not reflect a full-on "Southern California" experience.

Whenever I hear people talk of a "living wage", one wonders what kind of "living" is in their thoughts.

Is it just food, clean clothes, shelter and basic transportation?

Or is it keeping up with the Joneses and being "too good" to buy at thrift stores and the 99 cents only stores, and things like that?

I am not accusing anyone of anything here; I just wonder.
I make less than 40k and I do not buy at thrift stores and 99 cent stores. Then again I have savings and investments for emergencies, my car is paid off, no student loans, etc. I'm enjoying it and I do not feel poor at all.

I simply prioritize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California