Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Firemen rarely save anyone’s house
Obviously at least a few hundred thousand San Diegans beg to differ............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Really; actually it was Cal Fire caused the fire to get as big as it did in 2003. They refused to let the military tankers put out the fires, when it was still in Ramona. They have a sweetheart deal with private tanker contractors who just happen to be ex Cal Fire.
Have you ever noticed how there is not an effective program to create fire breaks and clear brush in the country? It is because there are millions to be made from disasters that open up the FEMA checkbook.
10 employees and a heard of a few hundred goats could prevent fires like 2003 and 2007 from ever getting out of hand, but you will never see a program like that because there is too much money to be made from allowing these things to get to disaster status.
Did you ever stop to notice how many luxurious new fire stations were built after 2003? Hmm, just coincidence I guess.
Also, neither of those fires were actually contained by firefighters, they both for the most part burned themselves out when the weather changed and the winds shifted blowing the fire back in the direction of the burned areas.
The firefighters do mop up the smaller areas, but they really cannot do anything when the fire is going full bore.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:57 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
My parents live in Scripps and they've had their house saved by firemen twice since 2000.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
My parents live in Scripps and they've had their house saved by firemen twice since 2000.
Good for your parents, I know scores of people who lost their homes and some who lost their lives because the fires were mis-managed as badly as they were.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Good for your parents, I know scores of people who lost their homes and some who lost their lives because the fires were mis-managed as badly as they were.
So we must suppose, then, that you have applications in to many departments to become a firefighter so you can lead the charge to make it right. Otherwise this is all just hot air, empty rhetoric, stinkin' thinkin' and armchair quarterbacking from someone without the guts to put his money where his mouth is.

As I posted earlier, our home was saved in 2002 but let's not let facts and reality stand in the way of a good whine. My quess is that you likely look dowen upon cops too, and I was one - yet another risky profession I'm sure you have no interest/experience in.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,759 times
Quote:
You have no idea what your talking about..... Why don't you try fighting a 500,000 acres fire being fueled by 60+ mph Santa Ana winds. Had nature taken it's toll the Cedar Fire would have burned to the ocean. Everyone I know out here has had there home saved either directly or indirectly. I have family in the SD Estates who never were able to leave. Thankfully the firefighters saved them and their house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
So we must suppose, then, that you have applications in to many departments to become a firefighter so you can lead the charge to make it right. Otherwise this is all just hot air, empty rhetoric, stinkin' thinkin' and armchair quarterbacking from someone without the guts to put his money where his mouth is.

As I posted earlier, our home was saved in 2002 but let's not let facts and reality stand in the way of a good whine. My quess is that you likely look dowen upon cops too, and I was one - yet another risky profession I'm sure you have no interest/experience in.
^^^

Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
This thread went from talking about the state's financial issues to bickering about firefighters.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Oh good, here is Curmudgeon again with his usual idiotic mantra of “in order to solve the problem you must in fact, be the problem ”.
I suppose we cannot expect an ex-cop to think logically as they are much too busy putting themselves on their own pedestal and declaring themselves heroes.
Most of them do not have much in the way of friends though, because they never meet anyone else who they like quite as much as they like themselves.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
You have no idea what your talking about..... Why don't you try fighting a 500,000 acres fire being fueled by 60+ mph Santa Ana winds. Had nature taken it's toll the Cedar Fire would have burned to the ocean. Everyone I know out here has had there home saved either directly or indirectly. I have family in the SD Estates who never were able to leave. Thankfully the firefighters saved them and their house.

^^^
I know exactly what I am talking about.
I carry an emergency responder card and worked both firestorms in 2003 and 2007.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Really; actually it was Cal Fire caused the fire to get as big as it did in 2003. They refused to let the military tankers put out the fires, when it was still in Ramona.
The USFS turned away the initial air assets. Someone needs to do their homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California