Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,985 times

Advertisements

High-income Californians may pay nation's highest tax rate
Thanks to passage of Proposition 30 last month, high-income Californians would pay the nation's highest marginal income tax rates -- nearly 52 percent -- if President Barack Obama and Congress fail to make a deal to avoid the so-called "fiscal cliff," according to a new study.

Without a fiscal cliff deal to the contrary, the Bush era tax cuts on high-income taxpayers would expire next year and rates would return to their previous levels.

Gerald Prante, an economics professor at Lynchburg College in Virginia, and Austin John, a Lynchburg economics student, calculated marginal tax rates -- the highest rates on the highest levels of income -- for all 50 states. They combined state, federal and, where applicable, local income taxes, plus payroll taxes for Social Security and Medicare and included the deductibility of some taxes.

Proposition 30 added three percentage points to the marginal state income tax rate for California's highest-income taxpayers, bringing it to 13.3 percent. That action raised California over other high-tax jurisdictions to a marginal rate of 51.9 percent, slightly higher than New York City's level. Hawaii was the only other place with a calculated rate above 50 percent.

Their report was published by the Social Science Research Network.

Read more here: Capitol Alert: High-income Californians may pay nation's highest tax rate

Last edited by analyze_this; 12-06-2012 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,985 times
This is a typical scaremongering sensationalist article from a right wing rag. So what will be the effective tax rate that they will pay after all the deductions are taken into account? My guess is less than 20%. Stated tax rate does not equal effective rate after deductions.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM

131 posts, read 167,136 times
Yeah. And while everybody is freaking out about taxes -- while real life is passing them by -- consider this from my hometown rag:

Most Americans face lower tax burden than in the 80's
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/us...pagewanted=all

Get over it. Have a beer and a pickled egg.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 PM

253 posts, read 349,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkramden View Post
Yeah. And while everybody is freaking out about taxes -- while real life is passing them by -- consider this from my hometown rag:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/us...pagewanted=all

Get over it. Have a beer and a pickled egg.

Ain't riding in your cab...

Last edited by Reason42; 12-06-2012 at 01:47 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Just think, those high income people just have to move to some place like Texas, and get a raise of over 13%. Plus when you consider the cost of living difference, they can more than double their effective income in addition to that 13%. California has to worry that they won't leave and take their businesses with them, as well as take a lot of jobs out of California.

Oops, come to think about it, and realize that that is exactly what is happening.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:11 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Just think, those high income people just have to move to some place like Texas, and get a raise of over 13%. Plus when you consider the cost of living difference, they can more than double their effective income in addition to that 13%. California has to worry that they won't leave and take their businesses with them, as well as take a lot of jobs out of California.

Oops, come to think about it, and realize that that is exactly what is happening.
Living in Texas is not worth it. But if money is your focus, have at it. As for me, I'd rather live modestly in paradise than to be rich in a place that sucks. People who focus on money tend to not be happy.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Living in Texas is not worth it. But if money is your focus, have at it. As for me, I'd rather live modestly in paradise than to be rich in a place that sucks. People who focus on money tend to not be happy.
Depends on where in Texas you live. Many parts of Houston, Austin, Dallas are great places to live and well worth it.

There are some very horrible places to live in this so called paradise of CA. You could not pay me enough to live in some of the non-coastal areas or the Central Valley.

You will also find that people are much more friendly and down to earth there. I was just there over Thanksgiving and you notice this as soon as you step off the plane.

But I always knew this since I am from there.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Yes, you've mentioned that one or ten thousand times... and your War and Peace length location line doesn't count in that estimation.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,548,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkramden View Post
Not to mention the 1960s and 70s - tax rates on upper incomes where much higher. Tax rates are at historically low levels vs. any other period since the 1920s or 30s yet all people do is moan and groan about paying them at all while the deficit soars.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 PM

563 posts, read 807,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Depends on where in Texas you live. Many parts of Houston, Austin, Dallas are great places to live and well worth it.

There are some very horrible places to live in this so called paradise of CA. You could not pay me enough to live in some of the non-coastal areas or the Central Valley.

You will also find that people are much more friendly and down to earth there. I was just there over Thanksgiving and you notice this as soon as you step off the plane.

If your a middle-to-upper class WASP in Texas, it's obvious your life is going to be amazing there. But what if your a middle-to upper class Black, Asian, Hispanic, etc? There's a reason why many middle class Asians and Hispanic families are staying put while their White counterparts flee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California