Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times

Advertisements

That's actually pretty funny, Leonard. Good one.

Now I declare you redundant and lay you off.

Oops, decided to rehire ya as "My Man in Tennessee."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
I would say the inverse is more true. Oregonians who live in the southern tier of counties feel more affinity to California cities in the State of Jefferson -- Redding, Yreka, Eureka, etc. -- than they do to Eugene or Portland. Ashland and Brookings are basically far-northern California cities populated by Californians who have oozed over the border a bit. There's a major cultural rift in Oregon between the Willamette Valley and the area from Roseburg on south. The State of Jefferson is almost like a third state that lies between the two.
This. I lived in San Francisco for 17 years and Davis for 8, and now I live on the Olympic Peninsula in WA. There are conservative areas of NoCal like Redding, etc., that are similar to conservative areas of Oregon and Washington, and liberal places like Eugene and my neck of the woods that would fit right into the Bay Area, culturally and politically. And Steve is right about Ashland and Brookings...a lot of Oregonians resent the way Californians have invaded those towns, particularly Ashland.

I think the division is not so much a north/south dividing line as a mosaic. Because even northern California is very diverse culturally and politically.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
That's actually pretty funny, Leonard. Good one.

Now I declare you redundant and lay you off.

Oops, decided to rehire ya as "My Man in Tennessee."
Your gonna "lay off" me???

I am sorry, the only person who can claim me as their "Man" anywhere, is my wife. She does so regularly. Kinda like "Oh man Leonard (Substitute real name), what did you do now?"

Old 03-21-2013, 04:19 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
The title "My Man in Tennessee" is the polite version. You are the man on the scene for any TN questions I have.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 AM

26 posts, read 48,007 times
In response to the OP, Northern California is overall more similar to Southern California than it is to the Pac NW. Demographics, architecture, and climate of NorCal are a more "tempered" version of SoCal. The Pac NW reminds me of a moderate climate, more liberal version of the Midwest

Old 03-23-2013, 12:53 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayArea32 View Post
In response to the OP, Northern California is overall more similar to Southern California than it is to the Pac NW. Demographics, architecture, and climate of NorCal are a more "tempered" version of SoCal. The Pac NW reminds me of a moderate climate, more liberal version of the Midwest
Not all of NorCal. Up around Arcata it's a rain forest, very much like the PacNW. Rivers teeming with salmon in season. The traditional Native architecture is like the cedar plank longhouses of the NW Coast, except they're built out of redwood planks, and are dug into the ground a bit, for warmth.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:14 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not all of NorCal. Up around Arcata it's a rain forest, very much like the PacNW. Rivers teeming with salmon in season. The traditional Native architecture is like the cedar plank longhouses of the NW Coast, except they're built out of redwood planks, and are dug into the ground a bit, for warmth.
And not even all of the PNW is the same. People always think of temperate rain forest but that's just on the coast. Central parts of OR and WA are mountainous, similar to the Sierra. The eastern parts are semi arid and much drier, even the area between the coastal mountains and Cascades in Oregon doesn't look like the OR people think of. Neither region is all one thing.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:04 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
And not even all of the PNW is the same. People always think of temperate rain forest but that's just on the coast. Central parts of OR and WA are mountainous, similar to the Sierra. The eastern parts are semi arid and much drier, even the area between the coastal mountains and Cascades in Oregon doesn't look like the OR people think of. Neither region is all one thing.
Right. Well, I just wanted to make sure our NorCal posters didn't forget the rainier part of NorCal. It's a unique region, one we should be proud to call our own, and one that ties us to the PacNW ecologically and culturally.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:55 PM

75 posts, read 111,633 times
Default About forgetting the wet climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. Well, I just wanted to make sure our NorCal posters didn't forget the rainier part of NorCal. It's a unique region, one we should be proud to call our own, and one that ties us to the PacNW ecologically and culturally.
I live in this rain forest! I agree with Ruth4Truth but would add that you only need drive a very short distance inland to find relief from the rain forest climate. Willow creek is one hour east and has temps in the 100 range in the summer time and is where many go for "heat" but they still get a lot if rain in winter. Willow Creek is also a little less liberal. Actually Blue Lake, ten minutes in, and Fortuna one hour south on HWY101, are both notably warmer and sunnier, but still close enough you won't escape the rain totals. Fortuna has a notable difference in culture. A lot of ranchers, more conservative than Arcata but it doesn't take much to be more conservative than Arcata. Blue Lake is more rich in tribal culture. Like southern OR, it doesn't take much of a drive in land to find dry warmer climates, each with their own mix of cultures.

Another thing i can agree with are the comments on pockets of differing cultures. There are many, even in the most liberal areas, who are very conservative up here. Isn't this true just about anywhere?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:00 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommalot View Post
I live in this rain forest! I agree with Ruth4Truth but would add that you only need drive a very short distance inland to find relief from the rain forest climate. Willow creek is one hour east and has temps in the 100 range in the summer time and is where many go for "heat" but they still get a lot if rain in winter. Willow Creek is also a little less liberal. Actually Blue Lake, ten minutes in, and Fortuna one hour south on HWY101, are both notably warmer and sunnier, but still close enough you won't escape the rain totals. Fortuna has a notable difference in culture. A lot of ranchers, more conservative than Arcata but it doesn't take much to be more conservative than Arcata. Blue Lake is more rich in tribal culture. Like southern OR, it doesn't take much of a drive in land to find dry warmer climates, each with their own mix of cultures.

Another thing i can agree with are the comments on pockets of differing cultures. There are many, even in the most liberal areas, who are very conservative up here. Isn't this true just about anywhere?
Yes it certainly is. Oakland is a very liberal city. It also has a sizable Mormon population complete with a nice temple. Mormons are not known for being liberal by any stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California