Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 5,522 times

Advertisements

So im a 22 year old male currently living in southern california. Ive been wanting to move for the past couple years but I love california so I want to move up north. My ex girlfriend lives in eureka/arcata and I love the scenary and the quiet life. Im looking to move somewhere that is close to the great scenic views yet close to the city (the bay area perferably). Im a mechanic at a ford dealership so I will be looking to stay within the automotive industry. I am 22 and single so I want sonewhere with a great nightlife and beautiful women. Since I am moving on ny own I want somewhere affordable (meaning cheap) since I am only a mechanic. Any help is greatly apprecaiated. Im plannning a road trip up north this summer so I would like to get suggestions on 5-6 cities to visit. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 10:56 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Great nightlife and quiet life don't go together lol

Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 PM

Ok I can do without the quiet life then hahha

Old 05-05-2013, 11:20 PM

lol then you should look around the Bay Area... San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, Berkeley... there are lots of smaller towns in between and around these cities. There are plenty of forests and hills/mountains for hiking as well.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
"Close to the city" We're 300 miles from SF! Get a map.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,863 times
The Bay Area is probably your best bet for night life and weather but cost of living is quite high there. Sacramento is more affordable but hot in the summer, though relief is never too far away. Farther north you've got Chico which is where I live, and decent places can be had that won't break the bank. Surrounding Oroville, Gridley, and Paradise are options as well, and we're about an hour from Sacramento. Hot in summer, cool and rainy in winter.

Redding is the last "big" city in California and it gets brutally hot there in the summer. Winters are colder than Chico and snow is not uncommon. Mt. Shasta and the surrounding mountains are gorgeous, though, and cost of living is affordable.

To the west you have Eureka which is cool all year round and very rainy in the winter, but it's quite far from any major city (Redding is some 2 hours to the east and San Francisco is some 3 hours south) and the economy up there isn't too hot. Cost of living ranges from affordable to outrageous so there's some flexibility there.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM

How far is the drive fron chico to san fran? I was looking into san jose, chico, and sacramento area? Any opinions and which is better?

Old 05-06-2013, 03:29 PM

San Jose is 1000x better, but it is also 1000x more expensive. If you move to San Jose, you might as well move to a city along the Peninsula such as San Mateo, Burlingame, Belmont, Foster City, Millbrae... they are similar in price, smaller, more quaint and closer to SF.

You could also check out Sacramento such as Roseville or Rocklin... but it is very suburban, I'm not sure if that is what you want.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_captain View Post
How far is the drive fron chico to san fran? I was looking into san jose, chico, and sacramento area? Any opinions and which is better?
San Francisco is about 3 - 3 1/2 hours from my house in Chico (smack in the middle of town). San Jose is really nice but super expensive, and Sac is like an hour to an hour and half from San Francisco. I personally like Chico because I don't like cities at all (anything over 100k is getting into obnoxous territory for me), but if I wasn't so averse to cities I'd probably live closer to Sac since it's reasonably affordable and tolerable weather-wise all year long.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 PM

Sacramento is looking to be the better choice. BMW 335 suggested to checkvout roseville and rocklin. Any other great neighborhoods you know of ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California