Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:51 AM

10 posts, read 40,816 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me, pros and cons re: both? We live in Naples now, lived in West Palm before this, and may be relocating to California next year, due to business. Thinking possibly Orange County. Any and all info. you could share with me would be wonderful. We have 2 small kids as well so any key points regarding children would also be most helpful. Thank you much!!

Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 11:15 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
Yes I have lived in Tampa, Orlando Miami and now split time in Orange County and Silicon Valley.

I think you will find there is a much higher standard of living here in California. That can be good and bad, as you will need to get used to "plastic" people here, which can be very difficult for an East Coaster. However, with that comes very nice things, especially for Orange County. OC is very clean, low crime, somewhat diverse.

Families are a major thing in OC; Irvine, Rancho Santa Margarita, Mission Viejo and Lake Forest are all pretty much families with very good schools.

OC and Cali in general will be more expensive than Florida, especially with housing. An average 3/2 will run at least 600-700k in a decent area.

Where the costs are worth it for many Californians is the sheer amount of activities and nice weather we have outside. Mountains and a cold water ocean make living here very pleasing.

I would definitely rent first to see if you like the area. It could be a very big change for you.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:12 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,714,496 times
I just love Flordia beaches, esp around Sarasota. I stayed out there for a month and loved it! Mach50- is pretty much correct, it is a much higher standard of living. I grew up in the Bay Area and its very expensive to sustain a comfortable lifestyle. As I agree with the weather, I hated the COLD ocean because if you're use to the Florida beach water, its not that pleasant. The cold CA current does contribute to the state's nice weather since most of CA is semi-arid.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:37 PM

49 posts, read 91,143 times
I would pick California. I know that there are Floridians out there that would think that I was out of my cotton picken mind. Florida is a great state, don't get me wrong. But I believe that once I leave, I will keep Florida as a vacation state. It is as expensive as you want it to be, as can be said about the other 49 states in the union. It is you who determines the cost of living for yourself. I love the west coast and all the diversity, outdoor activities, etc and yes Florida has that too. I am looking forward to picking a place that has seasons, 4 seasons that is. I would like to see it snow for winter and the leaves turn in the fall. Best of all I would like to be able to not have to drive everywhere I need to go, perhaps put just 2 wheels beneath me and off I go or strap a pack to my back and out I go to explore. Its just what you need, want and think you would like to lay your head. Good luck in your choice. And if I do pick CA, northern would be my access point to heaven. God bless

Old 10-04-2007, 02:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,781 times
California and the West Coast offers much more Variety on practically everything compared to Florida or the Southeast,but Florida does have Wamer Water at the Beaches during the Summer.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:25 PM

640 posts, read 3,076,073 times
FL is a nice place to visit but I'd rather live in CA... hands down.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:46 PM

i think if you like boats and the beach, fl wins hands down.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 AM

640 posts, read 3,076,073 times
What? There's no boats and beaches in California?

Seriously, I've lived in both states... both have pros and cons. It all boils down to your personal preferences.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:39 AM

Boating is much more popular in FL from what I can see. When I stayed @ my cousin's home in FL everyone had a boat and they even had boat docks in the back of their homes. The beaches were much nicer too, esp the west coast of FL. I would'nt even swim in any beach in CA without a wet suit. Just saying, when I lived in CA I hardly knew anyone with a boat and in Florida it seems a lot more common. I guess if your a surfer then CA beaches would be better.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:01 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,503,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Boating is much more popular in FL from what I can see. When I stayed @ my cousin's home in FL everyone had a boat and they even had boat docks in the back of their homes. The beaches were much nicer too, esp the west coast of FL. I would'nt even swim in any beach in CA without a wet suit. Just saying, when I lived in CA I hardly knew anyone with a boat and in Florida it seems a lot more common. I guess if your a surfer then CA beaches would be better.
But the best surfer in the world was born and raised in Cocoa Beach, FL! Kelly Slater!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California