Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:08 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I just want to say how delightful it is to read the engaging repartee of two such erudite and sophisticated intellectuals. Carry on.
Its always a pleasure to know i help stimulate average minds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 PM

153 posts, read 269,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Your own prescribed alternative was getting “smashed at home”, rather than going out. You can’t salvage this.
You're blaming me for wanting people to keep their drunkness to themselves?

I just don't like the look or smell of drunk whinos. Sue me.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:57 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
You're blaming me for wanting people to keep their drunkness to themselves?

I just don't like the look or smell of drunk whinos. Sue me.
I think there are a couple of issues made central to this question that I personally think are separate though other posters don't. Firstly, to me going to a bar does not equal being a sloppy drunk even at 3AM, just like going to a music club doesn't equal slam dancing all night or going to a restaurant doesn't equal gluttony. I can have one beer with friends. Being a night owl when I'm on heavy deadlines I'm often up until the wee hours slaving away at home, and it would be a nice option for me to be able to say to my collaborators, "OMG we're finished with the project! Please let's get outta here!"

If a business can legally be open and I wish to patronize them it's really no one's business whether I do or not. Now secondly, posters here make this a public policy issue: drunkenness and driving. But just like every other time of day, for me there'd be no drunkenness and there'd be either cabs, public transit or a designated driver anyway. If I or anyone in my party were drunk, the only people affected would be other people out at 4AM, presumably not walking their children or window shopping.

If those people are not street hookers, presumably they as fellow night owls would be just as happy as I that there are places they can go.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:02 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
The drunkards in the San Jose ghettos might love drinking until they're stumbling onto the street smelling like alcohol, but I assure you we don't have those types here.
I assure you, you do.
About how often do you frequent South OC bars? There are plenty working folks down there who need to drink away yet another long day of suffering the insufferable yuppie musings of righteous Ken and Barbie dolls deep behind the Orange Curtain.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:21 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
I assure you, you do.
About how often do you frequent South OC bars? There are plenty working folks down there who need to drink away yet another long day of suffering the insufferable yuppie musings of righteous Ken and Barbie dolls deep behind the Orange Curtain.
I used to live off Main St. Huntington Beach. They absolutely do exist. This guy is talking out his backside.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:35 AM

That's because you don't know wtf you're talking about. Huntington Beach isn't my area.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
I assure you, you do.
About how often do you frequent South OC bars?
I stopped going to bars when I was 20, and I only went then because of the novelty. I noticed that all of them are the same whether you're in crappy San Jose, or luxurious Newport Beach; all of them are full of sad, sad people.

Most people who "hang out" in bars are depressed about their lives, and looking to medicate themselves out of their misery. They don't want to go home, so they stay out until 2am to avoid having to go back to their crappy lives.

Me? I have a full on bar at home. I've got a stock of Johnnie Blue Label, and I don't have to put up with sloppy drunks invading my space. Sometimes I have a drink when I'm in my 4 car garage (yes those exist), and look over my collection of sports automobiles. I'm wealthy, in good health, and love my life. Why would I hang out with losers who don't want to go home until 4am? LOL

Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I think there are a couple of issues made central to this question that I personally think are separate though other posters don't. Firstly, to me going to a bar does not equal being a sloppy drunk even at 3AM, just like going to a music club doesn't equal slam dancing all night or going to a restaurant doesn't equal gluttony. I can have one beer with friends. Being a night owl when I'm on heavy deadlines I'm often up until the wee hours slaving away at home, and it would be a nice option for me to be able to say to my collaborators, "OMG we're finished with the project! Please let's get outta here!"

If a business can legally be open and I wish to patronize them it's really no one's business whether I do or not. Now secondly, posters here make this a public policy issue: drunkenness and driving. But just like every other time of day, for me there'd be no drunkenness and there'd be either cabs, public transit or a designated driver anyway. If I or anyone in my party were drunk, the only people affected would be other people out at 4AM, presumably not walking their children or window shopping.

If those people are not street hookers, presumably they as fellow night owls would be just as happy as I that there are places they can go.
You know, there's something to be said when the only people hanging around outside at that time is hookers and pimps, by your own admission. Think about that one.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
I stopped going to bars when I was 20, and I only went then because of the novelty. I noticed that all of them are the same whether you're in crappy San Jose, or luxurious Newport Beach; all of them are full of sad, sad people.

Most people who "hang out" in bars are depressed about their lives, and looking to medicate themselves out of their misery. They don't want to go home, so they stay out until 2am to avoid having to go back to their crappy lives.

Me? I have a full on bar at home. I've got a stock of Johnnie Blue Label, and I don't have to put up with sloppy drunks invading my space. Sometimes I have a drink when I'm in my 4 car garage (yes those exist), and look over my collection of sports automobiles. I'm wealthy, in good health, and love my life. Why would I hang out with losers who don't want to go home until 4am? LOL
Ah, but you DO have to hang out with yourself -- a personality valuing wealth and materialistic baubles. I suspect many readers here would find you less appealing than regular folks who sometimes go to a bar for a drink.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Ah, but you DO have to hang out with yourself --
No you don't.

I have a neighbor who watched the Clippers game last night with me in my garage (I've got a LCD TV hung up in the corner). I have friends all over South County, sometimes we hang out, play pool in my game room. I've got a theater in my house, I've got the cushy, fancy movie seats, and I can seat 12 people. Sometimes I get screeners from a friend who works at Warner Brothers, and we all get together for a movie night.

"But you DO have to hang out with yourself!" That's honestly one of the most ridiculous statements I've read from you, LOL, why because you can't make friends outside of a bar?

Quote:
a personality valuing wealth and materialistic baubles. I suspect many readers here would find you less appealing than regular folks who sometimes go to a bar for a drink.
Of course I put value on things. You said you use a boat to travel the coast. How many people can afford a boat? Pot calling kettle black here my friend.

Also I could give two craps about what people on here think about me personally. It's the freaking internet, none of these guys know who the heck I am, and if they have to "find friends in a bar", then I probably would never see them in real life anyway, as I don't frequent bars or hang out with public drunkards at 4am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California