Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 07:21 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,967,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I moved to the San Francisco Peninsula in 2011 from Kentucky--from the Lexington area, via the Northern Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati.

I lived for two years on the peninsula. After that, I've lived for:
  • Eleven months in Orange County for graduate school.
  • Four months in the Netherlands for more school.
  • Three months in my new spot back in California, Santa Clarita, finishing school (driving to both OC and West L.A. for classes) and enjoying life in an almost-mansion.
  • Five months in North County San Diego, possibly the least favorite place I've lived (in the running with Louisville, KY).
  • Six weeks back along the LA County/OC line, doing the couch surfing thing, working a temp gig, and looking for full-time work.
  • Just over one month now in the Modesto area; took a very ideal job offer coincidentally as I was nearing the end of my savings and available credit card limits.

So yeah, it's been quite a journey. And, so far, Modesto is working out quite nicely IMO, even for this 29 year-old, single male.
Wow^, California dreaming for sure.

Good luck in Modesto. It's always been a place that piques my weird curiosity.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:03 AM

372 posts, read 576,828 times
I'm a native Texan. My dad moved us out here over 40 years ago. He and my mom met in Long Beach when he was stationed out here in the Navy, and I think he always wanted to come back. I'm glad he made it. I'm not a native, but California is now my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 07:11 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,787,558 times
I am from MN where my family has lived since before it was a state. Moved to CA a couple months ago. I am having a hard time understanding this CA love/hate deal. As I read through other state's forums I don't see it there. Some residents think it's a magic land of dream fulfillment and some think of it a a lower level of Dantes Inferno. I think, so far, it's just another place where people are trying to live their lives and do the best they can. There are certainly differences, but not so that I would post some of the things I've read. Maybe after I live here a couple of years I will think differently.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:44 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,855,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I am from MN where my family has lived since before it was a state. Moved to CA a couple months ago. I am having a hard time understanding this CA love/hate deal. As I read through other state's forums I don't see it there. Some residents think it's a magic land of dream fulfillment and some think of it a a lower level of Dantes Inferno. I think, so far, it's just another place where people are trying to live their lives and do the best they can. There are certainly differences, but not so that I would post some of the things I've read. Maybe after I live here a couple of years I will think differently.
It's the national CA-bashing campaign and the response to it that other states don't have to deal with. Generally seen as a jealousy or ideology thing.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:45 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,158,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Mono-culturalism would be preferable? Kind of difficult to achieve in the world's melting pot, unless we're going for one race, one religion, one political party, etc. Which is exactly what we and our allies are supposed to be fighting against.
That's a fallacy of a false choice as the reality is we can (and should) embrace other people but not assume cultures all to be equal, etc.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
That's a fallacy of a false choice as the reality is we can (and should) embrace other people but not assume cultures all to be equal, etc.
Getting into sketchy territory when judging entire cultures to be "equal" or not to some ideal, no? That, and are cultures not composed of people?

Old 12-03-2015, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 2,712 times
bankrupt and corrupt because of a lot of non-natives....impo....

Old 12-03-2015, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Constantly hearing people refer to my home as "Kommie-fornia" gets very old, very fast. I used to be very proud of my home but, the non-natives moving in and bringing their "nanny state" garbage with them that has ruined our reputation and made many people hate CA.
I have escaped to WA, for now. If the State of Jefferson ever makes I'll be back.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:23 PM

484 posts, read 823,012 times
Born and raised in the OC. Then on to SF.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvrd3b5150 View Post
Constantly hearing people refer to my home as "Kommie-fornia" gets very old, very fast. I used to be very proud of my home but, the non-natives moving in and bringing their "nanny state" garbage with them that has ruined our reputation and made many people hate CA.
I have escaped to WA, for now. If the State of Jefferson ever makes I'll be back.
We're sick of the trailer trash "Kommie-fornia" cracks as well. Only shows the sophistication level of those who choose to utter them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California