Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times

Advertisements

Say what you will about California culture, but amongst the snobiest people in California, you would NEVER hear this in California. Even the most elite of the Bay Area intelligentsia you wouldn't hear this. So East coast.

Please I don't want to offend anyone. I know the vast majority of east coasters are open-minded, but know: I would take worst Hollywood rich, most dim-witted douchebags or the most ultra liberal, LSD taking Marxists of Berkeley before her. It reminds me of why the east coast is not on the top of my list of regions to live in.

And this is coming from someone is in education/academia.

Alumna Advises Princeton Women to Find a Man on Campus - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 PM

345 posts, read 1,031,207 times
That women could be a Stanford Mom just as easily writing into the school paper. Elitist attitudes go coast to coast.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:00 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Sounds reasonable to me.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
I went to college in the Midwest and there were plenty of young women who were there for nothing but their Mrs. degree. Its not just the East or Princeton. I know plenty of people who ended up marrying their college sweetheart. Most didn't get married immediately after college, but usually by their mid to late 20's they were. So while the young women in the video were dismissing it as "I'm too young" she's not totally off-base in suggesting they look for their mate during those years. That long term relationship can take years to cultivate and shared experiences and values help. She may sound snobby, but people who go to elite schools (including Stanford) can be. The majority are clustered in the East, but their student body comes from everywhere.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:42 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Sounds more like a BYU story.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I went to college in the Midwest and there were plenty of young women who were there for nothing but their Mrs. degree. Its not just the East or Princeton. I know plenty of people who ended up marrying their college sweetheart. Most didn't get married immediately after college, but usually by their mid to late 20's they were. So while the young women in the video were dismissing it as "I'm too young" she's not totally off-base in suggesting they look for their mate during those years. That long term relationship can take years to cultivate and shared experiences and values help. She may sound snobby, but people who go to elite schools (including Stanford) can be. The majority are clustered in the East, but their student body comes from everywhere.
Well, I didn't marry my college sweetheart but I definitely wanted to. I enlisted in the military and went to OCS to get a commission. My "plan" was to marry her as soon as I became a 2nd Lieutenant. She had other plans and sent me the standard "Dear John" letter early-on. Thank goodness!

We reconnected about five years ago after a bit over 40 years, thanks to the internet. Having gotten to know one another again it is obvious to me that a marriage would ultimately have been a disaster. I have to agree with those who said marriage at 22 is not a bright idea.

Last edited by Ghostly1; 04-02-2013 at 07:29 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 07:38 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,452,022 times
I can kind of see her point.. good genes create good genes most of the time.. and ideally if two people from an elite school get married and have kids, they're kids will more than likely be better off than the average.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Over a generation ago, Stanford discovered a simple but interesting fact: the annual & lifetime donations to Stanford from a two-Stanford family (that is, an alumnus married to an alumnae -- both husband & wife are Stanford graduates) greatly exceeded the annual & lifetime donations from two grads who were not married to fellow Stanford graduates.

Since the goal of Stanford's Alumni office is to maximize the net present value of future donations, they hired lots of consultants to figure out how to encourage Stanford grads to marry other Stanford grads.

Anecdotally, I have friends where they are both Stanford grads -- she has her BA; he has his BS/MS/PhD. They claim to give $50K/year to Stanford, and have for decades. Oh -- their twin boys are seniors at Stanford this year as well.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
I can kind of see her point.. good genes create good genes most of the time.. and ideally if two people from an elite school get married and have kids, they're kids will more than likely be better off than the average.
I can understand the point in general, but I would completely understand if suggested say, to marry someone with a PhD. or someone other remarkable achievement. That would've made more sense to me. (and I say that as one has only earned my Masters).

But just as many students goof off and squander their college years at elite universities just as much as regular state universities.

I'm in the academic/education world, and I believe that once you get beyond a threshhold of quality, after that, its just what you make of it.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 AM

So maybe I'm fighting ignorance with more ignorance, but after all these threads with posters broad brushing painting Southern California as fake and superficial, I just felt like doing some broad brush painting myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California