Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:12 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
We all know the COLA in CA is higher in some things, less in others. And there's affordable areas in CA.
There are lots of affordable areas. Someone posted earlier on another thread that there are good homes within an easy walk of downtown and BART in Concord that cost a fraction of what homes cost elsewhere around the Bay. Not to mention cheap homes in many of CA's other counties. If you can find a job, or are retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:14 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
I grew up there! It is always interesting to see someone mention Cambria. Still have family there.
You did? Can you please tell me why Cambria put what looks like a sewer on the way to the beach? You know at the end of town, last stoplight on the highway, you cross and wind around down by the pool? Was that the best place for it? I like the park and pool, but you all's water is cold and pebby beach and undertows to boot...

And my poem which is named American Gidget isn't about you... FYI....

I haven't posted it yet, but I'd better put a disclaimer on it.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:14 PM

569 posts, read 671,532 times
Quote:
You did? Can you please tell me why Cambria put what looks like a sewer on the way to the beach? You know at the end of town, last stoplight on the highway, you cross and wind around down by the pool? Was that the best place for it? I like the park and pool, but you all's water is cold and pebby beach and undertows to boot...

And my poem which is named American Gidget isn't about you... FYI....

I haven't posted it yet, but I'd better put a disclaimer on it.
I have no idea why they put that there! I lived there from 1971 until 1986. I spent every summer before I could get my work permit (12 years old) swimming at Shamel Park.

The beach isn't really for sunbathing and swimming up there EXCEPT for the Cove in San Simeon (where Commando was filmed my last summer there, '86). Beware, it is also a nude beach and the water is STILL cold but it is a better beach! Just go all the way to the end, don't stay by the pier as it gets too windy. I lived on Lodge Hill and spent a lot of time playing in tide pools as a kid. Very good surfing in that area.

Have you experienced Pindorado yet? Pretty fun. Do you ever hang out at Mozzies? It used to be Cammozzi's back in the day (I think that is how you spelled it, I should know, I went to school with some Cammozzi's!).

My name isn't Gidget, it is my cat (her nickname is Smidget) and I doubt she would be offended by any poems! Post away!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:23 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
I have no idea why they put that there! I lived there from 1971 until 1986. I spent every summer before I could get my work permit (12 years old) swimming at Shamel Park.

The beach isn't really for sunbathing and swimming up there EXCEPT for the Cove in San Simeon (where Commando was filmed my last summer there, '86). Beware, it is also a nude beach and the water is STILL cold but it is a better beach! Just go all the way to the end, don't stay by the pier as it gets too windy. I lived on Lodge Hill and spent a lot of time playing in tide pools as a kid. Very good surfing in that area.

Have you experienced Pindorado yet? Pretty fun. Do you ever hang out at Mozzies? It used to be Cammozzi's back in the day (I think that is how you spelled it, I should know, I went to school with some Cammozzi's!).

My name isn't Gidget, it is my cat (her nickname is Smidget) and I doubt she would be offended by any poems! Post away!
In like 1996 I got so drunk at some bar in Cambria that I bought the musicians CD. But I can't remember the name of the place. My wife threw up in the parking lot, haha. It might of been Mozzis looking at it online.

When I was a sophomore in college I drove my girlfriend and her friend over there to see her boyfriend that worked at a small pizza joint on the east side of the town. Can't remember it's name either. But we camped out 2 nights at Moonstone.

Your dang grocery store is expensive. We always shop in SLO, haha.

I always wanted to lawn bowl though, hehe.

I don't know Pindorado's.

But I like the toy soldier shop and ice cream on the west side of town alot, hehe.

Yeah, I've known about that nude beach at San Simeon since I was a kid, haha.

We usually beach it at Pismo. Retreating back to SLO or maybe Morro to feed the seals or something if Pismo was still cold or foggy by the time we get down there.

We rent a cabin from a FSU professor up past Shamel, like 3rd street up and then halfway up the hill. Can't remember the street name off the top though.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 PM

569 posts, read 671,532 times
Quote:
In like 1996 I got so drunk at some bar in Cambria that I bought the musicians CD. But I can't remember the name of the place. My wife threw up in the parking lot, haha. It might of been Mozzis looking at it online.

When I was a sophomore in college I drove my girlfriend and her friend over there to see her boyfriend that worked at a small pizza joint on the east side of the town. Can't remember it's name either. But we camped out 2 nights at Moonstone.

Your dang grocery store is expensive. We always shop in SLO, haha.

I always wanted to lawn bowl though, hehe.

I don't know Pindorado's.

But I like the toy soldier shop and ice cream on the west side of town alot, hehe.

Yeah, I've known about that nude beach at San Simeon since I was a kid, haha.

We usually beach it at Pismo. Retreating back to SLO or maybe Morro to feed the seals or something if Pismo was still cold or foggy by the time we get down there.

We rent a cabin from a FSU professor up past Shamel, like 3rd street up and then halfway up the hill. Can't remember the street name off the top though.
Yeah, we always shopped in Morro Bay or Atascadero when we had to do big shopping. The Cookie Crock is WAY high. It also wasn't a full grocery store until right after I moved away. We also tried to get gas out of town. It is very high there.

You have got to check out Pindorado. It is pretty funny. People are in Mozzies from the moment it opens and after the parade, which starts at old town and ends at the new end, they head to the fair grounds to hang, drink, and eat BBQ all day. There aren't many bars in Cambria so I imagine that is where you were. I have had similar experiences with that bar.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,321 times
I am here.

For those of you who are eager to know the "backstory", there's nothing juicy - the fact is I have student loans that I'm pay off, as well as a hefty car payment. These common expenses make a sizable dent in my income.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I am here.

For those of you who are eager to know the "backstory", there's nothing juicy - the fact is I have student loans that I'm pay off, as well as a hefty car payment. These common expenses make a sizable dent in my income.
OK, that's not unusual at all. But don't blame California for your being stretched too thin. With those expenses, do you really think you'd do much better anywhere else? The price of housing might be lower (we still don't know where you live in CA), but so would your pay. Look before you leap. Research the pay scale and price of gas and groceries where you plan to move to, not just rents.

Thanks for checking in.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
15-page thread is resolved! You go, Ruth. But yeah, other states would stretch you just as thin with those expenses. It's not California.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, that's not unusual at all. But don't blame California for your being stretched too thin. With those expenses, do you really think you'd do much better anywhere else?
Absolutely. For example, I could land the salary I'm making now in another part of the country where rent would be at least $500 cheaper. That's $500 freed up per month, $6,000 a year. And that's only one possibility. The numbers speak for themselves.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint100 View Post
Tulemutt, out of curiosity how much of California have you been in for extended stays? By extended stay I am talking 3 weeks or longer.
As I have stated several times to you - 47 years. During which time, other than a couple of trips to S.E. Asia for Uncle, I probably haven't left more than maybe a dozen times - maybe a dozen and a half. Why would I? Everything I could want to engage in I can do in California. Other than a few visits to Washington to visit nullgeo, and a few back to Minnesota - I have gone across the Nevada and Oregon borders a few times.

Now that we're all caught up on my history, how about you? How much creative time and thought have you put into how you might live enjoyably in California since you left for Colorado? How long ago was that? How long did you try to live in California as an adult after college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California