Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 04:38 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
So your dream is to see the largest economy in the United States and 9th largest economy in the world plunge into the Pacific, taking with it some 35 million of your fellow citizens and all of our agricultural and economic output? Brilliant.

All aboard the depression train! Maybe you'll see an exodus of WHITE middle class California natives who continually long for the "good ol' days," but there's still plenty that California has to offer anyone willing to try hard enough. We still have ideal weather in many areas of the state and there's something for just about anyone.

Are there a higher number of welfare recipients in California? Sure, but that comes from having a higher population overall. Are there higher numbers of illegals in California? Again, yes, but that's because people here are willing to hire them for next to nothing and skim the fat off the top while those poor souls toil in brutal summer heat day in and day out picking the food that you and the rest of the nation eats. If you want to blame someone for the influx of illegals, blame the people who hire them, not the illegals themselves who come here looking for a better life for them and their families.

The future of California may appear dim to someone who chooses it see it as dim, but I choose to see California's future as bright as unemployment continues to fall and the tech industry continues its growth and innovation. Best of luck to you wherever it is you decide to go and may you find happiness there.
Actually we have much more than our share of welfare recipients in CA even though we have a large population.

Is California the welfare capital? Page 1 of 4 | UTSanDiego.com

Welfare in California

34%
Of the nation’s welfare recipients live in California but only …
12%
… of the U.S. population resides here.

How we compare

California is third among states in per-capita spending on welfare:
$179
New York leads the nation:
$256
Idaho is at the bottom:
$17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
California's economy is growing, not shrinking.

Our state budget deficits are by far the smallest of any similarly sized nation in the workd.

European media LOVE to think they can pick on CA even though CA is in MUCH better shape than most of Europe, its not even close.

Oh and please dont move here. We dont need transplants with a defeatist attitude.

Move somewhere else, by all means, no one cares.
The economy is doing well in the expensive, coastal, hip urban areas. Elsewhere, not so much. The good economy in the coastal strip has offset the overall unemployment rate a bit, but the overall rate is still nothing to write home about. And for those in places like Tulare County? The economy is at the lowest depths.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
My dream is that the "Big one" will hit California and it will break off and slip into the ocean !
Impossible. Try a lower division geology text.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:15 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
California is overpopulated. An exodus is a good thing. Especially if the people leaving are the kinds who believe in responding fearfully to false information and stereotypes, and innuendo. Like about welfare recipients and illegal aliens. See you in Texas. No wait. I won't.
Beautimous.

Addition by subtraction:

With its economic troubles, California has been losing people in droves. The plurality of those migrants have moved to Texas, as many as 70,000 in 2011 and 60,000 in 2012. Given this influx of new residents, we are fortunate to have at times asked our respondents whether they have moved to Texas from California, and though the actual number of these people is but a small subsample of our surveys, we have enough respondents to make two broad conclusions. First, these newcomers, on average, tend to be conservative. Pooling data from the May 2012 and February 2013 UT/Tribune surveys, we found that 57 percent of these California transplants consider themselves to be conservative, while only 27 percent consider themselves to be liberal (a fair guess as to the margin of error is somewhere around +/- 7 percentage points). Second, these new Texans aren’t rushing to find homes in the state’s urban centers: 55 percent are heading to the suburbs, the rest evenly dividing themselves between rural and urban locations.
http://www.texastribune.org/2013/03/...ive-migration/

Last edited by nslander; 04-09-2013 at 07:31 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 PM

189 posts, read 362,269 times
Ah ha ha ha. California is simply purging itself of all the losers and talentless hacks who deserve to live in a godforsaken place like Texas or Alabama.

The best and the brightest from around the world still flock to California simply because it is the most amazing place to live in the world. Ok maybe after NYC.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 AM

4,659 posts, read 4,117,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Everything you wrote there depends on where and how you live in the state. For most people taxes aren't high and neither is the cost of living unless they're trying to over reach. Crime is neighborhood dependent. Welfare bums don't affect daily life of worker bees. And neither do illegals. Unless you are obsessed with other people's business that doesn't have to affect your own you can live a great life in California same as lots of places.
Sorry friend, but this is a nonsensical post. In any urban area these issues will affect you. If you do not know that, I do not believe you actually live here. I live a half hour outside of SF and am speaking from experience.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:52 AM

176 posts, read 348,686 times
Irvine seems real popular? It cinsistently gets rated one of the best places to live in CA despite the cost of living.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
Ah ha ha ha. California is simply purging itself of all the losers and talentless hacks who deserve to live in a godforsaken place like Texas or Alabama.

The best and the brightest from around the world still flock to California simply because it is the most amazing place to live in the world. Ok maybe after NYC.
Well to be fair to Texas, when I am there, I don't feel as if God has forsaken me.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 AM

139 posts, read 300,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
Well to be fair to Texas, when I am there, I don't feel as if God has forsaken me.
Don't worry, people make cracks like that to make themselves feel better LOL

Old 04-10-2013, 12:03 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Sorry friend, but this is a nonsensical post. In any urban area these issues will affect you. If you do not know that, I do not believe you actually live here. I live a half hour outside of SF and am speaking from experience.
47 years in the Bay and Delta. Which of your generalizations would you like me to debunk in detail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California