Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Sorry friend, but this is a nonsensical post. In any urban area these issues will affect you.
Then don't live in an urban area. Too many people there, already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 PM

139 posts, read 300,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Then don't live in an urban area. Too many people there, already.
Easier said than done. People and prices are moving farther out. I was astonished to see home prices over 300K in Blythe, CA.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 917 times
Good Afternoon, I am in the process of moving to California, and I have to admit I am alittle scared. However this has been a dream of mine for quite sometime. I believe life is what you make it and I am very blessed to have family there. I am a Hair Stylist I can pretty much find a job anywhere, one I get my California license this should be only 9 more months. I will just apply for Reproscity. So this is where it gets scary. I hear how people are moving away from there because of such a bad economy. Well I have the ability to work and do hair, hopefully that will be enough. If anyone has any helpful hints to make my move any easier or why I shouldn't, please feel free to share. I do have a ton of family in which I adore my family so blessed they are absoltely wonderful. Also I am not cold weather fan. I presently live in Minnesota with no family except my oldest son who wants out of the cold bad as I do. I am waiting to see if I qualify for Unemployment which would allow me to move with an income to get my new start. I am pretty sure I am going to get. I am house sitting for my Auntie in mid July and she will paid for my ticket out there. I just though this would be a great opportunity for me to stay for good. I need a new start and ready to leave my current live conditions which are not ideal. I really do want so bad to move and be close to family, and my youngest who is in the Marine Corp. PLEASE SHARE IF YOU HAVE ANY COMMENTS

Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,452,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnalee35 View Post
Good Afternoon, I am in the process of moving to California, and I have to admit I am alittle scared. However this has been a dream of mine for quite sometime. I believe life is what you make it and I am very blessed to have family there. I am a Hair Stylist I can pretty much find a job anywhere, one I get my California license this should be only 9 more months. I will just apply for Reproscity. So this is where it gets scary. I hear how people are moving away from there because of such a bad economy. Well I have the ability to work and do hair, hopefully that will be enough. If anyone has any helpful hints to make my move any easier or why I shouldn't, please feel free to share. I do have a ton of family in which I adore my family so blessed they are absoltely wonderful. Also I am not cold weather fan. I presently live in Minnesota with no family except my oldest son who wants out of the cold bad as I do. I am waiting to see if I qualify for Unemployment which would allow me to move with an income to get my new start. I am pretty sure I am going to get. I am house sitting for my Auntie in mid July and she will paid for my ticket out there. I just though this would be a great opportunity for me to stay for good. I need a new start and ready to leave my current live conditions which are not ideal. I really do want so bad to move and be close to family, and my youngest who is in the Marine Corp. PLEASE SHARE IF YOU HAVE ANY COMMENTS
Well it helps that you have family there that can probably help you if you get into a low point, but from the sound of it your kids are all grown now correct? If so then it won't be as hard for you to live if you are just paying for yourself, and if you have a S/O, do they have a job or will they be trying to get one as well?

A lot of the people that are moving stating bad economic conditions are people with families from my experience. Which I can't fault them for moving and trying to provide the best for their family if they cannot accomplish it in California.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
California could recover even more if they rounded up all their anti-development Nimby's and exiled them, for 10 years, to Catalina Island or the Channel Islands, and laid out the red carpets to our big national housing developers!

Lots of idle cranes sitting around Las Vegas here!

When I read of Santa Monicans opposing the idea of a developer building an iconic 21 story high rise on their precious shoreline there, first high rise since 1970, it's time to round up those Nimby's, banish them to the Channel Islands and let California fully recover!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
You do have a point. A lack of highrises/high density housing i'm sure contributes to the high prices too (less supply) ..plus massive building would make the unemployment rate lower than the 10%+ it is now.

There are just some people that are anti-development no matter what the development is...Hard to change their minds.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:17 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
California could recover even more if they rounded up all their anti-development Nimby's and exiled them, for 10 years, to Catalina Island or the Channel Islands, and laid out the red carpets to our big national housing developers!

Lots of idle cranes sitting around Las Vegas here!

When I read of Santa Monicans opposing the idea of a developer building an iconic 21 story high rise on their precious shoreline there, first high rise since 1970, it's time to round up those Nimby's, banish them to the Channel Islands and let California fully recover!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You do have a point. A lack of highrises/high density housing i'm sure contributes to the high prices too (less supply) ..plus massive building would make the unemployment rate lower than the 10%+ it is now.

There are just some people that are anti-development no matter what the development is...Hard to change their minds.
I repeat myself:
Here's just what California needs. More growth. The nation's most populated state with the #1 economy (9th in the world) would then become even more crammed and bursting at the seams with millions more people (and their cars) to fit into soaring coastal real estate markets, placing an increasingly astounding burden on an already overburdened water supply and power grid.

Good idea.

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell." - Edward Abbey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California