Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:53 AM

3 posts, read 17,072 times

Advertisements

Hubby got a new job in Modesto with MID! I don't want to have my babies in Modesto around all the "crap" (moving from Idaho). We are looking at Oakdale.....Any and All advice on Oakdale would be greatly appreciated!!! We can't be more thatn 20 miles fom MID, so Oakdale is about as far as we can go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 09:30 PM

313 posts, read 833,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINEMANSWIFE View Post
Hubby got a new job in Modesto with MID! I don't want to have my babies in Modesto around all the "crap" (moving from Idaho). We are looking at Oakdale.....Any and All advice on Oakdale would be greatly appreciated!!! We can't be more thatn 20 miles fom MID, so Oakdale is about as far as we can go.
Oakdale has always been a small town but it is really growing. There are some very expensive homes going in and prices for all homes has gone up drastically. My uncle and aunt have lived in Oakdale for many many years and they told me just recently that gangs are popping up more now and they are having problems with crime. Why move to Ca? We are planning on moving to ID. Where are you fromin ID?

Old 10-09-2006, 11:06 PM

My husbands work is what is taking us there! He is an apprentice lineman (he builds, fixes, maintain's power lines). He needs to get his Journeyman, and it is next to impossible to get on with someone who offers an aprenticeship around here! So.....Modesto it is! The company offers unbeatable benefits. The retirement alone is gonna make it hard for us to leave in three years when he Journey's out, but we have decided that if the area/enviroment is in any way not good for our babies then we would leave after three years. They are still young enough (6 yrs., 3 yrs., & 2 mo.) that three years there won't be too bad on them.
We (hubby and I) went down for the weekend before he got the job to check out the area and had already figured out that we did not want to live in Modesto. We really liked Riverbank, and we're really leaning towards Oakdale.
My husband has been there for a little over a month now (working), and we are hoping to move down there by the beg. of December. Rent down there is INSANE!! 1200/mo vs. the 500/mo we pay here!!
We live in Fruitland! It is about 45 min. north of Boise. We are right on the Oregon/Idaho border.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:20 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Linemanswife, just a quick word of caution to you. Your summer weather will be similar to that which you're used to in the Fruitland area, only it does get up into the 100's. Winter is a different story, rare day that you'll ever deal with snow/ice, however they have a fog there unlike what happens in both ID and OR. The Tule fog as it's called gets so thick you can't see your hand in front of your face. I know we get fog in ID, just wanted to give you a heads up

Old 10-11-2006, 03:34 AM

That's what everybody there has been telling my hubby about winter....the fog! Does everyone there still drive like maniacs in the fog??? I just don't know how the heck christmas is gonna feel like christmas without the snow!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 07:30 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
Look at a community east of Modest, at about 1,000 ft elevation you will be out of the fog. Many of the foothill communities advertise,,, "above the fog, below the smog. Look at the road up to Sonora.. lots of homes along there, easy drive down hill

Old 10-27-2006, 04:54 PM

16 posts, read 97,593 times
Sonora is well outside your 20 mile limit, as is anywhere at 1000 ft. altitude. Hughson is a nice quiet agricultural town a short drive by freeway or back roads, to Modesto. I raised my kids there and the schools are better than most and quite sports oriented. I last remember the population to be about 5000, but has slowed some. That's my perception.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:25 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
I grew up in Modesto and Oakdale, like StampinTami and there's no escaping the Tule Fog when it comes. It's a dark gray ice-cold blanket that permeated everything outdoors. Sometimes it lifts enough where the sky stays gray but you can see at ground level. Other times it settles and it is often so thick that driving is truly a hazard. It can lift or settle and sometimes will stick around for up to two weeks without clearing at a time. It's colder than you might imagine too...freezing cold. Both Modesto and Oakdale get covered in it. It's just part of the valley winter. My parents live near the Oakdale Country Club east of town on the way to Sonora on the Stanislaus River. Their house is actually on the river on the high side and it's beautiful. I personally like Oakdale, though I wish they'd fix that old clock tower on the corner downtown. It has been broken when I've driven through. Traffic there is not good in town as the traffic is squeezed through the actual downtown, but when you live there, you learn how to go around it starting at the Hershey plant to avoid all the congestion.

Old 10-28-2006, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 9,052 times
My wife and I raised our children in Oakdale and just recently moved to Waterford. Oakdale is a safe and sane place to raise kids. Great schools, many churches, small town but growning, enough shopping to stay nearby. We are trying to sell our American Craftsman house built 1910, 1950 sq ft, pool, many upgrades but still retains the old house charm. Are you interested?

Old 10-29-2006, 12:45 AM

313 posts, read 833,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I grew up in Modesto and Oakdale, like StampinTami and there's no escaping the Tule Fog when it comes. It's a dark gray ice-cold blanket that permeated everything outdoors. Sometimes it lifts enough where the sky stays gray but you can see at ground level. Other times it settles and it is often so thick that driving is truly a hazard. It can lift or settle and sometimes will stick around for up to two weeks without clearing at a time. It's colder than you might imagine too...freezing cold. Both Modesto and Oakdale get covered in it. It's just part of the valley winter. My parents live near the Oakdale Country Club east of town on the way to Sonora on the Stanislaus River. Their house is actually on the river on the high side and it's beautiful. I personally like Oakdale, though I wish they'd fix that old clock tower on the corner downtown. It has been broken when I've driven through. Traffic there is not good in town as the traffic is squeezed through the actual downtown, but when you live there, you learn how to go around it starting at the Hershey plant to avoid all the congestion.
Oh yes, the fog is nasty! Altho, I haven't noticed it being as bad the last few years but I was not usually out in the early mornings like I used to be. The traffic is really bad in Oakdale. Overall it is one of the nicer little towns in the area. I also like Hughson like another person mentioned. My Mom lives in Waterford and they really like it there (except for the fact that it is in Ca ) They are getting some little problems now as well since they are growing quite a bit. Have talked with the cops in the town and they say things are good except for some burluries going on...nothing major. We had to call them out one time because my hubby left a car door open while loading the car, was in the house for a min and went back out to find someone leaning in the backseat of our car! They responded quickly and everything has been fine since. They have good things to say about the HS there (brand new) but don't have any younger kids to have an opinion about the elementary schools. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California