Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
In an RV, or like Muammar Gaddafi, in a tent?

What do you do for Internet access?
Muammar Gaddafi's house is a coffin ... nope, not into that myself ...

I live on a couple of my boats and in a self-converted Air Force tarmac van (smallest box van you can get ... 7'x10' box behind the cab) ... my version of a gypsy vardo wagon ... and in tents too ... Washington, California, and Hawaii ... with a fair number of days in Oregon as well, but I don't linger there much.

Internet? Hot spot off an iPad when not in proximity of any Wi-Fi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:19 AM

774 posts, read 1,778,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
There are many fine communities with single-family homes that have normal yard spacings with prices as low as the $100K range. I have repeatedly mentioned a couple towns within under 90 minutes to San Francisco even.
I tried, but couldn't locate those posts (you made 7,000 of them). Which towns did you have in mind: Salinas and Santa Rosa?

(Gaddafi wanted to put up a tent in Central Park, when he visited NYC)

Old 08-02-2013, 01:14 PM

119 posts, read 716,794 times
Hi everyone, sorry haven't posted but I was monitoring the responses and thank you everyone for the very helpful suggestions!

I apologize for the using the term "hick-town", I probably could have worded that a bit better but I saw other posts with a far more inflammatory term in the title and thought it wouldn't be a big deal.

We were able to find a place and have had our offer accepted! It's going through escrow now. For future readers' reference, our ideal budget was $100k but we had some flexibility, we made an offer of $124K on a $135K house that was accepted.

Again thank you everyone, lots of good suggestions in here so hopefully this helps other people as well. I'm purposefully not stating the location of the house for privacy reasons.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs333 View Post
Hi everyone, sorry haven't posted but I was monitoring the responses and thank you everyone for the very helpful suggestions!

I apologize for the using the term "hick-town", I probably could have worded that a bit better but I saw other posts with a far more inflammatory term in the title and thought it wouldn't be a big deal.

We were able to find a place and have had our offer accepted! It's going through escrow now. For future readers' reference, our ideal budget was $100k but we had some flexibility, we made an offer of $124K on a $135K house that was accepted.

Again thank you everyone, lots of good suggestions in here so hopefully this helps other people as well. I'm purposefully not stating the location of the house for privacy reasons.
Glad to hear it. Can you at least give us a *general idea* of what you decided upon? Mountains, coast, NorCal, Central or SoCal?

Derek

Old 08-02-2013, 11:41 PM

19,219 posts, read 16,701,480 times
I'm curious, as well. It's not like we're going to come looking for you. lol Just a city would be nice.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,958 times
That was quick. I'd be doing my research a year in advance.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:37 PM

162 posts, read 319,205 times
Go to Redding

Old 08-14-2013, 06:55 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
OP was not courteous enough to respond to requests about the general area where his offer had been "accepted" and it seems like he is actually still looking:

Quote:
Hi all,

My parents are looking to retire next year, they're looking to buy a place for $130K or so, they currently live in Southern California but prefer a place that's not crowded, safe and cool (weather-wise). They know the weather in the PNW and would prefer that over places that get hot.

They would also prefer a bit of racial diversity (they're Asian) but the area doesn't need to have a sizable Asian population. Even a place like Bellingham (which is 5% Asian per City-Data) I think would be ok.

I've so far come up with the following places: Sequim, Port Angeles, Bellingham, Lakebay.

Are those good places? Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 AM

19,219 posts, read 16,701,480 times
That's probably due to the fact he/she's been busy looking for a place for them in Washington. Nice to see their budget improved too.

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...tire-130k.html

Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That's probably due to the fact he/she's been busy looking for a place for them in Washington. Nice to see their budget improved too.

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...tire-130k.html
Possibly, but he previously said they had found a place and were in escrow. Maybe things fell through.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California