Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:22 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,988 times

Advertisements

My friend with the MB shop left for his children. He didn't want them to grow up in California. He has scaled back his business and still does quite well financially. My RV owner friend can run his business from anywhere as he sells to customers all across the coutry. His wife loves California but he sees CA living as needlessly expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM

364 posts, read 611,292 times
We moved our consulting business out of California. Sorry to let go the great team of people who worked for us. With the internet and easy air travel there is no reason to stay in a place if its not what you want. We heard lots of stories from clients who were having trouble with state agencies and the cost of housing for their employees.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:56 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
My business relies on the "nouveau riche" and no place has them in the abundance California does. Yeah, I could move my business somewhere else -- and then I could sit around and twiddle my thumbs too. I'd rather sell 100 of something and pay 10% taxes then sell 10 of something and pay 5% taxes.

The State Legislature thinks that enough businesses can't leave the state or won't. Sure, most won't move can't but many of us can. You also might find that a lot of those who can afford to move out do move out and their concentration declines.

The disdain of businesses and wealth in the CA legislature is disgusting. But who do they think is funding their irresponsible spending? It is almost entirely the wealthy and business communities, either directly or indirectly!!

Old 12-19-2007, 02:27 PM

812 posts, read 4,084,210 times
I remember being in the financial district San Francisco in the late 1980's versus now, and it looks like huge cutbacks have happened. BofA used to be HQ'd, now it's in Charlotte with only a regional office in I guess what's now "555 California", not the "Bank of America Building." SP's merged out and it's building's just general office use. Embarcadero Center used to be bustling with people on lunch hour, and now whenever I've been on weekdays, it looks like a ghost town.

Obviously many factors go into this, and the decisions of companies on the individual level are much more complex than "leave CA." retail relies on the economy, all of which are factors that need to be looked at. But at the bigger picture, just walking around, I see the change in SF itself that it's not the headquarters of the west in terms of finance that it used to be... surely because CA is repulsive to these sorts of businesses, especially in modern days when technology shows that it doesn't really matter weather your offices are in SF, LA, or Kalamazoo. Workers get cheaper costs of living, and unfortunately for CA, the whole picture looks pretty good to leave.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
The military has it's own version of relocating due to costs. It's called BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure). For example, tons of jobs from high cost areas like Washington, DC and NOVA are heading to Huntsville, AL. Costs and overhead (and maybe security).

Old 12-20-2007, 01:11 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
You know, I think I'll be glad when those who want to go and can afford to go just leave. When everyone leaves, rents fall. That encourages new businesses to move in -- and maybe those new businesses will be able to weather the other details better.

I grew up in a "right to work" state and I fully understand what that means. I prefer California's way of doing business because it seems to be a little fairer across the board -- plus the state is a much nicer state with it's large tax base. There is nothing worse than living in an area where the state does *nothing* because the state doesn't collect enough taxes to do things like, oh, fix the roads, provide clean water, etc. Low tax states don't offer many goodies to their residents. If you want it, you've got to pay for it!

I lived in California in the '60s, and then moved back in the '80s. In spite of all the times that everyone said "Everyone is LEAVING!" the state keeps growing. As American companies migrate to lower cost states, Asian companies are taking their place. When the American companies lose those big tax incentives they got to move, are they going to be happy where they are? Or are they going to be looking for another tax incentive to move again?

Anyway, I stay here because my business is here. I've thought about leaving but the downside is much bigger than the potential upside. I might be able to live somewhere like Indiana, and it might be great for a part of my business -- but I'd still have to spend about 6 months out of the year here so it doesn't make sense to move.

If California is losing companies that want to operate like Walmart, then I don't care if the state loses those companies. I think Walmart is the epitome of a bad employer. Let all the cheapskate employers move somewhere else!

Old 12-20-2007, 04:31 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I lived in California in the '60s, and then moved back in the '80s. In spite of all the times that everyone said "Everyone is LEAVING!" the state keeps growing.
Yeah ... my husband is a California native and has been hearing this stuff for decades now.

He's still waiting for everyone to leave.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:40 AM

566 posts, read 1,939,988 times
I wonder why it costs five times as much to rent a moving van going out of California than it costs coming into California? Could it be that people are leaving? The only population growth that California is experiencing comes form immigrants - many of them from Mexico.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:55 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
I wonder why it costs five times as much to rent a moving van going out of California than it costs coming into California? Could it be that people are leaving? The only population growth that California is experiencing comes form immigrants - many of them from Mexico.
This is another one of the great distortions ...

Yes people have moved to other states due to CA higher housing prices. With the current housing crash we'll have to see if that continues.

But, the outward migration was actually much worse during the '90s. About double the rate it is today. Today ... more people are choosing to move to inland California instead.

As for the population growth ... you can't blame it all on immigrants. For one thing ... California's population is huge. Much bigger than any other state ... 14 million more people than Texas and 18 million more people than Florida.

So births alone would account for the population increase ... not just immigration.

But hey ... if people want to move out of state, go ahead. I've lived in those places myself. You'll figure out you made a mistake soon enough ...

Last edited by sheri257; 12-20-2007 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-20-2007, 10:08 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Looks like both of you have valid points:

"...Population is up thanks to births and foreign immigrants..."

"The annual study by the Department of Finance showed that 89,000 more people moved out of California than moved here from elsewhere in the United States.....just 5,800 jobs per month were created -- down from more than 20,000 per month the previous year...People who are leaving the state, he said, are probably doing so because they believe they'll do better elsewhere.....Since 2000, about 500,000 more people have left Los Angeles County than have moved here from other parts of the U.S. and California, the figures show..."

excerpts from

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...la-home-center

If you need a login go to www.bugmenot.com

Good graphic illustrating in and out migration. Note that where they are coming from are also expensive places (BO-WASH) to live so the move is often quite lateral.

Mass Exodus of Jobs from CA proven to be a MYTH.-cal_migration.jpg

Last edited by Charles; 12-20-2007 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California