Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 12:07 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Cut the hours in half, and would require hiring twice as many people to produce the product as you would have to increase the size of the facility, as an example.
No, as productivity increases you can achieve the same output with less labor.

We don't need to live in a "competitive world", the US is large enough to isolate itself and trade on its own terms.

Quote:
If you are not willing to work the 40 hours, that is standard for industry of all types, then you should not be angry as you will not be employable.
Why is it the standard? Because the government....we can change "the standard" at any point. In any case, I'm not really concerned with whether I'm "employable" to some dull corporation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 01:27 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Quote:
No, as productivity increases you can achieve the same output with less labor.

We don't need to live in a "competitive world", the US is large enough to isolate itself and trade on its own terms.
False, do away with international trade, and have a 40% unemployment factor, which anyone that has take some college courses in economics would understand. That would bring on a complete collapse of the U.S. economy.

Quote:
Why is it the standard? Because the government....we can change "the standard" at any point. In any case, I'm not really concerned with whether I'm "employable" to some dull corporation.
However most people are. They like a roof over their heads food to feed a family.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
False, do away with international trade, and have a 40% unemployment factor, which anyone that has take some college courses in economics would understand. That would bring on a complete collapse of the U.S. economy.
Ignoring the irony of your comment, but no, this is by no means the case. Out-sourcing production doesn't increase employment and similarly in-sourcing production wouldn't decrease employment if any thing the opposite because some countries have a tendency to manipulate their currencies.

Seriously, I want to hear your thought process here, how would moving production back to the US increase unemployment?

Being protectionist would slow the growth of the US economy, but so what? But it would allow the US to do things on its own terms and as such young (and old) Americans wouldn't have to worry about competing with people in 3rd world countries.

Quote:
However most people are. They like a roof over their heads food to feed a family.
If people want to commit themselves to drudgery that is their business, but its by no means the only way.

Honestly though, I've been hearing it from oldsters since I can remember....and at this point its real nice to laugh all the way to the bank while having plenty of leisure time.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Honestly though, I've been hearing it from oldsters since I can remember....and at this point its real nice to laugh all the way to the bank while having plenty of leisure time.
...which you appear to waste incessantly and above all humorously here on C-D trying to educate the masses and dazzle them with horse pucky.

A quick peek at real unemployment figures will show that all are not so fortunate although you appear to infer that they should be and look down your nose at those who chose other employment paths and are less fortunate.

"Hearing it from oldsters" not just infers age bias but also negates the reality that it was likely "oldsters" who put together the mechanism from which you probably derive your income in the first place. But I guess we shouldn't expect any modicum of humility from the all-knowing, all-seeing Carnac the Magnificent of C-D.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:35 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
Chief, you realize you just interrupted the battle royale between Mothra and Godzilla? (OT vs. user_id)
I was popping corn and getting ready for the next round ...

Old 07-27-2013, 01:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
DANG! My bad. Missed it and messed it up! Kinda like my life according to some here. Where's the beer?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:19 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I was popping corn and getting ready for the next round ...

Old 07-27-2013, 09:25 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,902,925 times
light oil with plenty of salt ... no butter ... thanks

Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
...which you appear to waste incessantly and above all humorously here on C-D trying to educate the masses and dazzle them with horse pucky.
Talking about someone "wasting" their time on city-data while commenting on city-data...is strange to say the least. I don't spend that much time on city-data, but I don't consider it a "waste", instead I consider it entertainment. I'd rather spend my relax time online on forums like city-data than watching TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
"Hearing it from oldsters" not just infers age bias but also negates the reality that it was likely "oldsters" who put together the mechanism from which you probably derive your income in the first place.
No, oldsters had nothing to do with how I derive my income. As I said, I've been hearing it from oldsters since I can remember....that includes nay-saying what lead me to my current lifestyle.

And, to be clear, its not that I think oldsters are any more short-sighted than other generations instead that their advice was outdated....it didn't reflect the modern world. For example the hard work ethic of the GI generations, which for me was my grand parents, made more sense in a world where wealth was more equally distributed. That is, a world where their hard work would actually yield something. But we no longer live in such a world, wealth is poorly distributed and "working hard" doesn't get you far. For the boomers, with their "start at the bottom and work your way up" advice, again, may have worked in their era but today doesn't get you very far. The boomers underscore the transfers of wealth they received that started in the reagan era, that is, when taxes were cut for the boomers and the payments for current spending (which wasn't cut much) was transferred (via the deficit) to future generations. In any case, the Millenials can safely ignore what the oldsters say.....they just don't have a good perspective on the brave new world.

Nothing in my comments looked down on those having a hard time, just pointing out that its nice to laugh my way to the bank at this point my life. That is, its nice to know that my plan worked and that I was right.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
[quote]And, to be clear, its not that I think oldsters are any more short-sighted than other generations instead that their advice was outdated....it didn't reflect the modern world. For example the hard work ethic of the GI generations, which for me was my grand parents, made more sense in a world where wealth was more equally distributed. That is, a world where their hard work would actually yield something. But we no longer live in such a world, wealth is poorly distributed and "working hard" doesn't get you far. For the boomers, with their "start at the bottom and work your way up" advice, again, may have worked in their era but today doesn't get you very far. The boomers underscore the transfers of wealth they received that started in the reagan era, that is, when taxes were cut for the boomers and the payments for current spending (which wasn't cut much) was transferred (via the deficit) to future generations. In any case, the Millenials can safely ignore what the oldsters say.....they just don't have a good perspective on the brave new world.
[/QUOTE
What you don't realize, is you are saying the same type of thing, that the boomers were saying when they were young like you. My grandfather, told me that it is the same type of thing, the young people were saying in the late 1800s when he grew up.

The new generation growing into adulthood, all have the same attitude you have. They blame their problems on the older generations that went before them. You will learn, that it just takes a little time to learn to fit into the real working world. The young have always wanted to jump ahead of the existing adults, and they always find they have to work to get themselves into the real world of work. They will first have to learn to fill their niche in life. In other words, they have to serve their apprenticeship, before they can really be successful and not just start at the top.

In the next few years as you realize you don't really understand what is going on and what happened in the past, you will actually start to join the real world and learn to live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California