Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:05 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times

Advertisements

Squirrels.
Quote:
... In Austin, Tex., squirrels have been blamed for 300 power outages a year.
... and a 2005 study by the State of California estimated, hazily, that these incidents cost California’s economy between $32 million and $317 million a year.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/op...anted=all&_r=0
My sociological experiment with CD Forum has run its course. However, as a result of my engagement with the many resident [and non-resident, especially] oracles of doom --
- the failed economy
- corrupt politics
- stupid electorate
- the moral tyranny of the liberal majority
- unmanageable cost of living
- absolutely frightening demographic / racial shift
- the near-total invasion by, and subterfuge of, the evil Welfare Queens
- impending earthquake doom
- and oh so much more ...
I find the number one reason to flee by droves in fear of the future in California -- is squirrels.

To quote [with apologies] the great Robert Burns in his brilliant observation of life at its most fraught destiny:
Quote:
"To a Mouse, on Turning Her Up in Her Nest with the Plough":
... "The best-laid schemes o' [squirrels] an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!"

To a Mouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Squirrels.

My sociological experiment with CD Forum has run its course. However, as a result of my engagement with the many resident [and non-resident, especially] oracles of doom --
- the failed economy
- corrupt politics
- stupid electorate
I find the number one reason to flee by droves in fear of the future in California -- is squirrels.

To quote [with apologies] the great Robert Burns in his brilliant observation of life at its most fraught destiny:
I have to smile: I can see lots of reasons for not wanting to live in Los Angeles or Ca period, but the squirrels would be the least reason. Heck, we have lived all over the country where they come almost up to your patio door. In some cases they do come to the door. I haven't had them ask for food or a glass of wine yet.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,455,557 times
I love my California squirrels. I have a big bird feeder and always have squirrel-friendly food on the bottom tray. I'd much rather have the squirrels than the big rats that live in the field behind my house.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,991 times
Not just any squirrels, but the mutated black squirrels that escaped from SRI - that is why the threat is particularly dire in the south bay...

Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Squirrels.

- the failed economy
- corrupt politics
- stupid electorate

Simple, send all the squirrels back to where they came from. End of problem. After all who was here first.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Except for the ground squirrels, most tree climbing squirrels seen are Fox Squirrels and in a few places, Eastern Gray Squirrels (both are usually gray btw). Neither is a native species so, maybe you're on to something there nully.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:09 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
It's the zombie apocalypse, but only worse, since the squirrels go directly for your nuts.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:40 PM

484 posts, read 822,265 times
The squirrels in Westwood can be vicious!

Old 09-03-2013, 06:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
The good new is that when the squirrels chew through the wires in junction boxes, not only do the boxes blow out, with an impressive "boom" I might add, but the squirrels end up fried as well.

Of course here in hill country the race is then on to see who can bring the squirrel home for the dinner table - in those rare places that actually have electricity of course.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Fried squirrel, yummy! An' ya don' evin' hafta' spark up the cookin' fire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: