Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
California is known by many as the land of beautiful celebrities, packed freeways, and perpetual summer.
But the nation's third-largest state also has a huge variety of people with very distinct ways of speaking, from valley girl speak to surfer lingo to slang inspired by Bay Area hip hop.

The people of the Golden State speak a dialect distinct enough to warrant its own name: California English.
Read more: California Sayings - Business Insider

Do you agree with this list? Would you add anything to it? Would you take anything off the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:12 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Agree with this one, and so do many posters here:

12. Whatever you do, definitely don't say "Cali."

Old 12-12-2013, 01:24 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Is the writer from California?? By saying "the Bay Area" is cold and foggy in the winter, she is implying that the entire area is like that. There is a difference between San Francisco, "the city," and the rest of the Bay. So she's basically saying San Jose is cold and foggy in the winter...except it's one of the sunniest places on average in the area and regularly gets to 85 degree weather in the summer.

In-n-Out is indeed bomb.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:58 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
I'm a native Californian who says 'Cali'. No one (except for here) has ever batted an eye, let alone shuddered when I spoke it.

And a surfin' burrito from Natcho Mama is the bomb, they are hella good!
I normally don't use such slang though.

As goes timing for how long it takes to get some place- I don't agree with the author.
'20 minutes' is how long it takes, and yes it depends on traffic. However, without traffic it IS 20 minutes.

There is a standing joke at my house. We live in a sort of far away place. Someone asked how far to San Francisco, I said 5 hours. Someone asked, how far to Sacramento, I said 5 hours. Someone asked how far to the Oregon boarder, I said, 5 hours.
I'm not guessing, I know this because I have driven it.
So now when someone asks, 'how far to....' my husband who is from TX says '5 hours'.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:09 PM

246 posts, read 422,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I'm a native Californian who says 'Cali'. No one (except for here) has ever batted an eye, let alone shuddered when I spoke it.

There is a standing joke at my house. We live in a sort of far away place. Someone asked how far to San Francisco, I said 5 hours. Someone asked, how far to Sacramento, I said 5 hours. Someone asked how far to the Oregon boarder, I said, 5 hours.
I'm not guessing, I know this because I have driven it.
So now when someone asks, 'how far to....' my husband who is from TX says '5 hours'.
As long as you are using that word to describe a city in Columbia, then that would be ok. Otherwise, not so much....

Your remote location may explain why you are able to get away with using the unfortunate slang term "Cali" when referring to the Golden State. Remember, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do it.

While I'm puzzled why anyone would actually want to use that kind of language, you may be in a community that is technically "California" by political boundaries, but culturally, shares little with what most know as California. This may help describe why no one "batted an eye" when you rolled out that vulgarity.

You seem like a nice person, don't sully yourself, friends don't let friends use "Cali".

Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
sitting at a light I glanced over to see and hear the guy next to me carry on a loud conversation with himself something along the lines of...

Bugga-bugga-bugga
eek, eek, eek
me brain is melting
me brain is melting
gotta get to the pier by
one!!!

he sees me watching him and gives me one of these
to which I say... "have a nice day, but stay off the gas"

I then drove off and made my left, but I just know he was probably thinking; "did he say stay off the gas, or stay off the grass?" I just love driving here.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:36 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
friends don't let friends use "Cali".
LOL! The truth.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:41 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
As long as you are using that word to describe a city in Columbia, then that would be ok. Otherwise, not so much....

Your remote location may explain why you are able to get away with using the unfortunate slang term "Cali" when referring to the Golden State. Remember, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do it.

While I'm puzzled why anyone would actually want to use that kind of language, you may be in a community that is technically "California" by political boundaries, but culturally, shares little with what most know as California. This may help describe why no one "batted an eye" when you rolled out that vulgarity.

You seem like a nice person, don't sully yourself, friends don't let friends use "Cali".
Several well-known songs use the word 'Cali' to refer to California.

I hear it all the time and don't really think much of it.

It's also said that many people from Los Angeles don't like it when people refer to the city as 'LA', but people say LA all the time.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:58 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
[911 Operator] Hello, what is the nature of your emergency.
[Caller] I just want to report someone saying Cali.
[911 Operator] Uh, is that a problem? Isn't Cali a logical shortening of California?
[Caller] Duh... Of course it's a problem. That's the name of a city in Columbia!
[911 Operator] Santa Rosa is the name of a city in Argentina. So is San Rafael. There is a city in Chile named Los Angeles. El Cerrito is also a city in Columbia. Same for Fresno.
[Caller] It's not a problem when you use the whole name. It's only a problem if the short name is identical to a city somewhere else.
[911 Operator] Then there shouldn't be a problem because Cali is actually just the short name for Santiago de Cali. So the short name for California is the same as the short name for Santiago de Cali.
[Caller] No! You just aren't getting it. It's OK for cities to use the same proper or short names as cities in other countries, but you can't have a short name for a state be the same as the short name for a city in Columbia. That's so wrong.
[911 Operator] Sir, psychiatric personnel are enroute to your location.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:28 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
Several well-known songs use the word 'Cali' to refer to California.
Maybe it's both the kiddies who use the term and the crappy songs that torment the ears with this malfeasance that combine to produce nails-to-the-chalkboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California