Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 58,097 times

Advertisements

I may be possibly moving to Clovis, Ca area 2 small children a wife and a job that may not pay more than 60/yr. Fresno is out of the question Clovis a definite consideration to live/rent. Fowler Ive heard is a little cheaper rent but same type of living as Clovis. Can anyone help with some good facts? spare me the fluffy stuff about nitelife as thats not really a huge factor with safety being no. 1 priority. I would be coming from SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 12:52 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,629 times
Oh gosh, don't choose Fowler. Clovis is a good suburban community with generally good schools. Fowler is a dump.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on Fowler how bout Sanger or Selma compared to Clovis..

Old 02-12-2011, 01:48 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,857 times
Clovis would be the best of Sanger, Selma, or Fowler. Clovis has more of a suburbia life while the other 3 are small towns still close to their ag roots.

There are lots of areas of north Fresno that are identical to Clovis in terms of demographics, safety, housing, etc. The Clovis Unified School District includes the areas of the city of Fresno north of Herndon and east of Van Ness Ave. I would not rule that area out of your search.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:57 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,296,561 times
Fowler isn't bad. It is just very small. I would choose Fowler over Selma and Sanger. Drive through the neighbourhoods in these towns and you will understand why.

In addition to Clovis, take a look at Kingsburg. Hanford is a little bit out there, but not too far. Hanford is large enough where you can find good and bad neighbourhoods.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the real good info on the surrounding cities, whats the population of Kingburg? I would be coming from a city of about 30,000 in Socal where everything is pretty controllable as far as good and bad areas. My job would be a 2 yrs gig there if possible but if the family likes it I would be willing to stay in the Central Valley.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:33 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,857 times
Kingsburg is a nice small town of about 12,000. I used to be there more on business than I am these days. Went down a few times over the years for events like their Independence Day Festival and always had a nice time.

I know 2 couples in their 20s living there now (neither has kids). Both like the small town atmosphere but both also admit they find themselves driving to either Fresno or Visalia for more things than they realized when they moved there like for shopping or entertainment. So it also means looking at the things you prefer close access to and if they are located there.

Kingsburg to Clovis would be about a 35 to 40 minute commute with little traffic congestion most of the time. Most difficult part would be during the 35 to 40 days a year of fog, seems to me to be more prevalent and thicker down that way due to the moisture from the Kings River. On foggy days you'd slow your speed and need to plan on 1 hour or more to Clovis.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:58 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
I would stick with Clovis and Northern Fresno as originally recommended.

If safety is first and you have two small children then you need to seriously consider the better school districts. And Clovis seems to be the best in the area. Take a look at this map and zoom into Fresno: California School Performance Maps

While some ppl like those other smaller ag/farm towns you've mentioned I really don't think that is what you are looking for. Have you ever driven throught the Central Valley before? If not just drive through these areas and you will and get a feel for them. I'm pretty sure it will only take a few visits for you to see what most are describing.

I would go for a smaller place in a nicer area rather than a cheaper, larger place in a so/so neighborhood with lousy schools and higher crime. That's not saying the other places are all bad. But its better to error on the side of caution, especially when young children are concerned.

My 2c,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-12-2011 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 04:53 PM

Cool all very humble opinions thx Im gonna trek out there from Socal and see what I can come to peace with....Vaya con Dios! Amigos!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 10,054 times
Hey Phil good question!! Me, my fiance and my two kids arae looking into moving out there to.we ,ive in socal also and would like a change.I hear that the clovis school district is the best which is awesme.We are coming from Hemet,ca where are you coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California