Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 08:09 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The house next door is a rental and has had a few Hispanic families in it over the past 10 years. One of them featured a little boy who broke a window of mine with a rock. Since it was next to a doorway, code says it needed to be replaced with tempered glass, for a total of 131 bucks. The father paid me in cash as soon as I presented him with the invoice, and he made his son apologize.

The next family had four well-behaved kids. One day the grandmother (who spoke only Spanish) overheard one of the boys say hi to me in a manner she considered disrespectful. The next day he was at my door apologizing for disrespecting me. (even though he didn't, in my opinion)

It's just terrible having Mexicans for neighbors. They've been so... uhhh... nice.
I can tell you many of stories that are much different than yours. BUT, all races have their good and bad apples just like anything else.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:25 PM

36 posts, read 44,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
You would be VERY surprised how helpful those connections are even after college. Private Schools like Head Royce are TINY often only 50-150 students per grade (with tiny class sizes that usually average under 12 students per class). This leads to an intimacy that really cannot be replicated in college. Some private schools especially those in NYC like Dalton and Horace Mann are K-12 schools so these students grow up knowing each other since they were in kindergarten (or in the case of NYC, nursery school).
I get that but I know people who've gone to really good schools and sure they know someone but those "connections" didn't replace them having to go out and earn it, in my experience. I would be curious to hear if others experience is different. What I'm saying is how does that work from the perspective of not one of the uber rich kids in the school... Dalton kids most likely are already from connected/established families. I don't really think an outsider can work their way into that even if you could somehow afford it you would be known as the 'charity case' (which is absurd at $400k-$500k) but that's how it is. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't know.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:42 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
You don't even need that. I lived in a very Mexican/Latino city for years and never had an issue. English is always the primary language of business, education and government.
That's not the point. Being able to speak good Spanish with people is a goodwill gesture that can be very effective in garnering the respect of locals.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:21 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
No.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:36 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's not the point. Being able to speak good Spanish with people is a goodwill gesture that can be very effective in garnering the respect of locals.
And it makes you a more well-rounded person. Being bilingual is a huge plus for many employers. It shows that you can communicate with people of other languages and that's always good for business.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:35 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
And it makes you a more well-rounded person. Being bilingual is a huge plus for many employers. It shows that you can communicate with people of other languages and that's always good for business.
I'm not bilingual. But I am ambidextrous. Will that count?

Old 09-14-2014, 09:44 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,740 times
this is a troll thread. Hispanics are also leaving California in mass for much the same reasons as everybody who leaves California. everybody is tired of the ridiculous cost of living and having to deal with the political environment here. hell, i also want to leave California (I am Mexican-American male) and move to Houston TX. a whole bunch of my family members have left California for cheaper cost of living and job opportunities. Proposition 13 and the resulting policies have ruined this state.

OP has clearly never lived in California or otherwise he wouldn't have started this thread. thread solved and closed.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:55 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,277 times
There's definitely too many people living in california that are dependent on others. And i don't mean literally dependent. Most are hard working people but unfortunately the system is set up to extract profits out of them. The problem is that white collar middle class folks have to foot the bill for many of these safety nets. Taxes are too high, housing demand is too high, and so on and then you create an environment that isn't sustainable. I love california. I really hope the nay-sayers are wrong. It just seems California rejects a lot of common sense in favor of feel-good policies and ultimately will drive the middle class out. I do think rich people will continue to favor California. It's beautiful!

Old 09-14-2014, 10:12 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I'm a white guy who wishes he had a Hispanic/Latin gal.

If you know any good ones who want to be cared for and cherished, send her out to me.
Well for heaven's sake Des, according to city data, there are around 17,000 hispanic females in Tulare. If you can't find one there, you won't find one anywhere.........except maybe Mexico............or Porterville LOL!

Old 09-14-2014, 11:24 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Just looked at the title of this thread again. They won't be a majority, they'll be a plurality (the largest of the many minorities). To be a majority they must have greater than 50% (and with the slowly growth of the state that may not happen for decades).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California